The Student Room Group

A level Remark & exam script questions

I'm getting an A2 remark (I just need 1 mark for the next grade!) and just had a couple of potentially silly, obvious Q's regarding the process:

1) (For those with knowledge of English Lit or Shakespeare) I got my exam script back and a couple of things the examiner has put has troubled me a bit. Their comments are very brief throughout the paper anyway - but on the second script it's almost like they briefly skimmed the writing - they've literally not commented or written anything compared to the first script.
Additionally, some of the comments they've made aren't fair. I quoted a character in a play with my interpretation of what they said and sufficient evidence to back it up - it's a pretty well known interpretation and is often used along with the quote. However the examiner has essentially drew a line through the whole point saying my interpretation was wrong and essentially invalid. Multiple people say the interpretation isn't wrong - is there anyway I can raise the issue with this - or will the remark examiner pick up on this and consider the point I've made?

2) does wether you chose priority / non priority potentially affect outcome? As in would the examiner know wether it's priority thus would this affect their decision/leniency when remarking? Additionally, for non priority does the lateness of your request affect any decisions (I can't send the forms off till next Wednesday because I'm on holiday!)

3) How long do remarks often take? (AQA specifically)

4) Not a question - but did anyone else have any success with AQA remarks this year?

Thanks!
(edited 6 years ago)
1) definitley query that. However, a different examiner should pick up on it and give you the credit
2) I think priority would legit just mean you get it sooner - I can't imagine getting a regular remark would put you at a disadvantage in terms of leniency / examiner decisions :biggrin:
3) mine took about 1 month
I'm having a similar issue with remarks, I'll PM :tongue:
Original post by Ruby1997
I'm getting an A2 remark (I just need 1 mark for the next grade!) and just had a couple of potentially silly, obvious Q's regarding the process:

1) (For those with knowledge of English Lit or Shakespeare) I got my exam script back and a couple of things the examiner has put has troubled me a bit. Their comments are very brief throughout the paper anyway - but on the second script it's almost like they briefly skimmed the writing - they've literally not commented or written anything compared to the first script.
Additionally, some of the comments they've made aren't fair. I quoted a character in a play with my interpretation of what they said and sufficient evidence to back it up - it's a pretty well known interpretation and is often used along with the quote. However the examiner has essentially drew a line through the whole point saying my interpretation was wrong and essentially invalid. Multiple people say the interpretation isn't wrong - is there anyway I can raise the issue with this - or will the remark examiner pick up on this and consider the point I've made?

2) does wether you chose priority / non priority potentially affect outcome? As in would the examiner know wether it's priority thus would this affect their decision/leniency when remarking? Additionally, for non priority does the lateness of your request affect any decisions (I can't send the forms off till next Wednesday because I'm on holiday!)

3) How long do remarks often take? (AQA specifically)

4) Not a question - but did anyone else have any success with AQA remarks this year?

Thanks!

I'm having my eng lit a level remarked too - except my school didn't give me my UMS mark so I have no idea how close I was I've just feel like I did better than I've been credit for! I got an AQA one last year - went up by like 16 marks! Priority is only for if a uni place depends on it and makes no real difference to leniency! They should read what you've written in more detail for the remark and I genuinely think they skim read papers as mine was so far wrong last year
Reply 3
Original post by hollyoliviax
I'm having my eng lit a level remarked too - except my school didn't give me my UMS mark so I have no idea how close I was I've just feel like I did better than I've been credit for! I got an AQA one last year - went up by like 16 marks! Priority is only for if a uni place depends on it and makes no real difference to leniency! They should read what you've written in more detail for the remark and I genuinely think they skim read papers as mine was so far wrong last year

Yes! I legit believe they skim read my second script! Thanks for your reply good to know other people are in the same position :biggrin: that's odd you didn't get your UMS - did you get a raw mark so you can use the AQA converter? I'm so annoyed because I was 3/4 UMS off which is equivalent to between 1-1.5 raw marks :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest