The Student Room Group

Failed GCSE maths

I don't know where to post this but still here goes...

Today is probably the saddest day of my life. I've studied education studies and finished this year. I want to be a secondary teacher so I even applied for a PGCE but I never had maths, I was clueless and quite unbothered at the beginning of my degree. I realised during my final year that I want to get into teaching. So I retook maths this year (the old spec for one last time) and I got a D again as always. I got a conditional offer from the university I've always wanted to go to for my PGCE; I got the relevant experience, even passed my skills test (yes both English & maths) I thought everything was going smoothly but no!!! I'm a failure at maths. I do not want to give up! I will re attempt this year but the new specification/grading is scaring me. I don't know how I'll managed. My parents are absolutely heart broken especially by the fact that maybe I raised their hopes too high, including my own. They've told nearly everyone including family/friends that I've been offered a place at university for my pgce with pride. I feel so bad that I've let them down, I don't know what to say to people as I will have to take a gap year.

Yet, I've emailed the university my grade and a message in hope that they would be a bit lenient - unfortunately I do not think they offer equivalency tests.

I feel awful and pathetic. I've already had such an awful year healthwise, yet I stayed strong and good things also happened in return.

I've come so far and I do not want to give up at all. But many things are making me nervous.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by missy95
I don't know where to post this but still here goes...

Today is probably the saddest day of my life. I've studied education studies and finished this year. I want to be a secondary teacher so I even applied for a PGCE but I never had maths, I was clueless and quite unbothered at the beginning of my degree. I realised during my final year that I want to get into teaching. So I retook maths this year (the old spec for one last time) and I got a D again as always. I got a conditional offer from the university I've always wanted to go to for my PGCE; I got the relevant experience, even passed my skills test (yes both English & maths) I thought everything was going smoothly but no!!! I'm a failure at maths. I do not want to give up! I will re attempt this year but the new specification/grading is scaring me. I don't know how I'll managed. My parents are absolutely heart broken especially by the fact that maybe I raised their hopes too high, including my own. They've told nearly everyone including family/friends that I've been offered a place at university for my pgce with pride. I feel so bad that I've let them down, I don't know what to say to people as I will have to take a gap year.

Yet, I've emailed the university my grade and a message in hope that they would be a bit lenient - unfortunately I do not think they offer equivalency tests.

I feel awful and pathetic. I've already had such an awful year healthwise, yet I stayed strong and good things also happened in return.

I've come so far and I do not want to give up at all. But many things are making me nervous.

Not wanting to kick you when you are down, but you need to get some perspective. Its just GCSE Maths, so you need to lay off saddest day of your life and all the disappointment for the parents etc because its not worth it and its all easily repairable.

Sad would be a brain tumor, someone dying or losing your legs, this is just a silly exam that you can pass if you just apply yourself to it.

A D is a fail there is no inbetween, so the Uni couldnt say anything else.
So the resit plan is as follows.

Get your papers back.
Get a tutor/ skint student A grade and they can o though it and see where you went wrong if you are unable to do that yourself.

Get revision books and learn the material so you understand it then do as many of the exercises again and again so you become competent at them. It doesnt sound like you knew what you were doing in the Maths exam so you were always struggling.

Its just a case of learning and then practicing questions till you get them right and understanding where you go wrong. You can do it if you apply yourself and also dont be afraid of it thinking you cant do it.

If an when you start getting really good marks in practice then you will almost certainly repeat that in an exam, so you cna pass the exam mostly before you even sit it which will remove a lot of fear.

In the year off just use it to get more experience and earn some money. Just 10 months and it will be over. Not much time at all.

The only other option is to give up, which would be a big waste. People fail exams all the time, but they dont let that stop them so they work hard, resit and pass.
Thats all you need to do.

Teaching could be a lifetime and this is just a hiccup.
Reply 2
I'm also in a similar position to you but I'm retaking in November. I just saw the grade boundaries for the new spec and you only need 17% to pass and get a grade C on the higher paper. Don't let this bring you down. Retake again and maybe apply for pgce next year. Start looking for teaching assistant jobs or anything related to teaching. Can I ask what universities you applied for PGCE? Because I'm applying next year and still haven't got a C in Maths. Most universities on the site says they want a C in maths

Quick Reply

Latest