The Student Room Group

Can you get thrown out of a conservatoire

Hi,My daughter is considering applying for a place at a conservatoire. She has A level grade C in Music and an A and B in Sociology and History. She will be taking her grade 8 this term. She is has done well to get this far and adores playing the trumpet but I know she is not of the same calibre of people you see on young musician of the year and things like that. Some time ago I met a lady who had attended a conservatoire in the 1980s and got thrown out after a year because they felt she wasn't good enough. She was clearly still upset by the experience 30 or so years later. Does this kind of thing still happen? If so, I might try to steer my daughter more towards university as I think she would be devastated if this happened to her. Anyone had any experience of this or does it not happen these days?
Original post by music mum
Hi,My daughter is considering applying for a place at a conservatoire. She has A level grade C in Music and an A and B in Sociology and History. She will be taking her grade 8 this term. She is has done well to get this far and adores playing the trumpet but I know she is not of the same calibre of people you see on young musician of the year and things like that. Some time ago I met a lady who had attended a conservatoire in the 1980s and got thrown out after a year because they felt she wasn't good enough. She was clearly still upset by the experience 30 or so years later. Does this kind of thing still happen? If so, I might try to steer my daughter more towards university as I think she would be devastated if this happened to her. Anyone had any experience of this or does it not happen these days?

It's the same as any other University. If you're not making the grades and putting in the work then you're not going to pass and get through to the next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending