The Student Room Group

Spaniard pursuing Clinical Psychology route

Hi there! So I've been reading this forum for a while, and today finally decided to share my thoughts.

I am a 27 y.o. Spanish psychologist, who wants to pursue a professional career in the UK. I graduated in 2013 through the University of Seville as the top of my class, and tried to find Jobs in Psychology, unsuccesfully. So I kept studying two more master's degrees, in Health Psychology and Systemic Family Therapy, while working in non-related positions. The thing is, I am absolutely fed up with the scarce working opportunities, so I might as well take the leap and try a professional career in England, if Brexit allows me to.

I would like to become a Clinical Psychologist, since it's easier there than it is in Spain (not saying it's an easy path). Here, it's just an annual test, and only 1 out of 40 get to pass (100 of 4000 candidates), in UK the ratio is 1 out of 6, and if you don't get it, it's not like here, you haven't completely wasted your time (you can either go for low intensity therapy posts, senior support worker...). Even after getting the registration as Clinical Psychologist, in Spain is way harder to find suitable jobs.

So, if I get to improve my English skills (I only have the CAE now) and gain some experience there as a support worker (I'm not even thinking in AP posts), do you think I may have a real chance? Would I need to get a degree in the UK? How could I do some research in order to fulfill all the requirements? And lastly, do you think my academic achievements (being top of my class for example) would be recognized in job offers?

Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
In the UK you would need an approved doctorate to practice as a clinical psychologist. From your post I think that you don't have this yet, so it would be a three year course, and to gain entry to the course you need a good (2:1 or above) BPS approved psychology honours degree. I believe that getting qualified is a pretty competitive process but once fully qualified the job prospects are good in the UK.

There are many support worker posts in the mental health field, if you are eligible to work in the UK, but they will not give you much in the way of relevant psychological experience. It is much closer to care work.

If you are looking for more information; for qualifications, the British Psychological Society are responsible for accreditation, and for employment most clinical psychology positions are with the NHS so check out those websites.

Good luck x
Reply 2
Original post by Xanjra
In the UK you would need an approved doctorate to practice as a clinical psychologist. From your post I think that you don't have this yet, so it would be a three year course, and to gain entry to the course you need a good (2:1 or above) BPS approved psychology honours degree. I believe that getting qualified is a pretty competitive process but once fully qualified the job prospects are good in the UK.

There are many support worker posts in the mental health field, if you are eligible to work in the UK, but they will not give you much in the way of relevant psychological experience. It is much closer to care work.

If you are looking for more information; for qualifications, the British Psychological Society are responsible for accreditation, and for employment most clinical psychology positions are with the NHS so check out those websites.

Good luck x

Thanks a lot, I am aware of all this, I asked for support worker roles because they are easier to get (it's barely impossible to find an assistant Psychologist post, from what I've seen) and many Universities accept them as relevant experience, according to the dclinpsy alternative handbook

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending