Physics: A*
History: A*
Spanish: A*
Maths: 8 (A* equivalent)
English Language: 8 (A* equivalent)
English Literature: 7 (A equivalent)
Media Studies: B

So overall 7A*s, 1A and 1B

Do you guys think these grades will be enough to study Law at Cambridge or Oxford? I'm really happy with them but was a bit worried about the B in Media - do you think this will hold me back seeing as the course is really competitive?
Original post by cricinfo
I managed to get:
Chemistry: A*
Biology: A*
Physics: A*
History: A*
Spanish: A*
Maths: 8 (A* equivalent)
English Language: 8 (A* equivalent)
English Literature: 7 (A equivalent)
Media Studies: B

So overall 7A*s, 1A and 1B

Do you guys think these grades will be enough to study Law at Cambridge or Oxford? I'm really happy with them but was a bit worried about the B in Media - do you think this will hold me back seeing as the course is really competitive?

Yes, Oxbridge dont have specific GCSE requirements- they expect passes at GCSE and understand that accademic potential develops greatley during A levels! What A levels are you taking as these are much more important ?
Reply 2
Original post by MediaROCKS
Yes, Oxbridge dont have specific GCSE requirements- they expect passes at GCSE and understand that accademic potential develops greatley during A levels! What A levels are you taking as these are much more important ?

I'm taking English Literature, History, Spanish and Economics A-levels - hopefully they will set me up well. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
It may be because I'm new here, but how on Earth do people see these results and think that they're unworthy? I understand it more with Oxford than I do with Cambridge, but those grades are fantastic regardless of a B in an irrelevant subject.
Original post by xBasedChris
It may be because I'm new here, but how on Earth do people see these results and think that they're unworthy? I understand it more with Oxford than I do with Cambridge, but those grades are fantastic regardless of a B in an irrelevant subject.

We can't work out whether it's a humblebrag (or sometimes not even very humble) or sheer blindness to the facts. Either way, it's been very noticeable this year, and it's turning into a bit of a joke.
Original post by Reality Check
We can't work out whether it's a humblebrag (or sometimes not even very humble) or sheer blindness to the facts. Either way, it's been very noticeable this year, and it's turning into a bit of a joke.

I've seen some absurd threads. They tend to go along the lines of 'I ONLY HAVE A 98 UMS AVERAGE WILL I EVER GET INTO X???'.

Happens every GCSE/A-Level Results Day.
I've seen some absurd threads. They tend to go along the lines of 'I ONLY HAVE A 98 UMS AVERAGE WILL I EVER GET INTO X???'.

I know... I know. And I think all it does is actually turn normal people (i.e those working at B/C/D level) off TSR. Would you want to use it, seeing these ridiculous kids with their 193 A* grades complaining that they 'lost out' on 3 UMS?

Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Happens every GCSE/A-Level Results Day.

I know, but don't you think it's a bit worse this year, in terms of the silliness with A*?
I know... I know. And I think all it does is actually turn normal people (i.e those working at B/C/D level) off TSR. Would you want to use it, seeing these ridiculous kids with their 193 A* grades complaining that they 'lost out' on 3 UMS?

Indeed, I believe the Urban Dictionary used to include something like that in their definition of us. Something to the effect of "Spoiled children who claim you're destined for benefits if you don't get 12 A*s at GCSE, 4 A*s at A-Level, and study at Oxbridge or Warwick."

I know, but don't you think it's a bit worse this year, in terms of the silliness with A*?

Well, they did go up this year, for A-Levels at least; maybe that's the reason why? I've noticed more "Can I get into Oxbridge with these GCSEs/ AS grades". Generally speaking, im not sure why a lot of them ask; surely if they're smart enough to get those grades they're smart enough to research. Perhaps rampant spoon feeding has made them entitled and lazy, making them think it's good for other people to do research for them. Not sure why they just don't get ahead and apply in most cases, it's a fifth of all available choices - they'll get multiple offers in 99% of cases.
Indeed, I believe the Urban Dictionary used to include something like that in their definition of us. Something to the effect of "Spoiled children who claim you're destined for benefits if you don't get 12 A*s at GCSE, 4 A*s at A-Level, and study at Oxbridge or Warwick."

Can get into Warwick with 3 B grades in clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending