The Student Room Group

Orderofthelotus goes to college (GYG)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by orderofthelotus
Update 9/12/2017

Wow my GYG is a neglected, edgy mess. I said a more detailed update was coming "soon" and it's been over a month whoops. Okay so:

I'm 17 now :colondollar:

I'm in the middle of my second set of classroom tests. Last term I got Es all around (pree the consistency) so this time I'm going for at least a CCC. From there, I'm going to keep setting the bar higher until I'm bagging As and A*s...

Obviously revision is going strong around this time. Yesterday I wrapped up my notes on coasts for geography, and today I'm going to finish up notes for maths I still have to revise and then practice a bunch of questions. Tomorrow will be focused on physics.

Speaking of physics, my lab book is a mess and I really need to clean that sh*t up. I'll probably do that first thing tomorrow and then the rest of the day will be reviewing content and practicing problems. We're currently on work, energy and power and since the last update, we've done work on applying Newton's laws, force and momentum and some other stuff I don't really remember right now. Most of it was okay, though there is still one chapter I still haven't gotten my head around and I don't know where to go for help since I'm trying to keep up with our current work too.

Ditched the timetable plan. Structure like that didn't work during my GCSEs and it doesn't look like it'll work for my A-levels either, at least not at this point.

Touched on some coding like once and then never again...

My enrichment and social life in general isn't doing too well which is disappointing considering how when writing my OP, I was hoping to take part in a lot more and get involved a lot more and stuff and 3 months in, I don't really know what's happening.

Uh yeah, that's about it. I'll tag when I actually write a good update, I promise.

Proud of the progress you are making.Keep the good work up:smile: !
Original post by bobby147
Proud of the progress you are making.Keep the good work up:smile: !

Thank you 😊
:woo:
Original post by AryanGh

is that how you dance around a pole thot
is that how you dance around a pole thot

thot™
Update 11/12/2017

Two updates within a week? I didn't know I had it in me.

Maths:

Both of my tests for this term are over! :woo: I hope we get feedback before we break up for Christmas. I feel good about the first one, a little less about the second one...

Had to fork over £20-something for the recommended calculator. :emo:

I don't believe I talked about the time Simon Singh visited to deliver a talk... It was over a month ago :colondollar: because I'm great at updating. Well, he showed up late and booked it the first opportunity he got and in general his attitude was appalling but at the very least, the subject of his lecture was good. He talked about his work around talking about Fermat's Last Theorem and Andrew Wiles and I do believe that for a split second, I was a little inspired but it didn't last long. My maths teacher does a far better job at getting me into maths.

Geography:

Not a lot going on right now - my test for this term is tomorrow and we've moved through some content pretty quickly since my teacher is often busy going on trips since she's in charge of random, dodgy trips to various places that we get emailed about very often but I never really have the capacity to pay attention to. So we've kinda just been chillin when it comes to geography.

Physics:

Served an hour detention this afternoon kek

Test on Friday morning

Had to move the lab book sorting task to over Christmas bc it's a huge mess and revision for my tests and keeping up with classwork has taken precedence.

Misc:

We break up for Christmas at the end of this week!

I don't have a lot planned except a movie marathon or two and tying up loose ends (i.e catching up with anything I've slept on).

I'm hoping to do quite a bit of exam practice on the content we've done so far since mocks are in February, which won't be very long at all after Christmas, especially considering I will be taking almost an entire week off in January as part of a fieldwork trip for geography.

I'm going to resume tagging... since I'm hoping this will be the revival of my dead and neglected GYG. I haven't tagged in a LONG time bc I keep waiting for a good enough update and it never comes - good enough or otherwise. :colondollar: If you care enough, you can scroll back kek. There's some new people on the tag list ( still small bc I do it from memory :emo: ), so if you're thinking "I didn't sign up for this" - worry not, just say the word and I won't tag ya again. :h:

@_gcx @AryanGh @faloodeh @Sonechka @Volibear @bobby147 @Vikingninja @Lemur14 @CoffeeAndPolitics @DeepInTheMeadow @CheeseIsVeg @num.7
:woo:^2
Update 11/12/2017

Two updates within a week? I didn't know I had it in me.

Maths:

Both of my tests for this term are over! :woo: I hope we get feedback before we break up for Christmas. I feel good about the first one, a little less about the second one...

Had to fork over £20-something for the recommended calculator. :emo:

I don't believe I talked about the time Simon Singh visited to deliver a talk... It was over a month ago :colondollar: because I'm great at updating. Well, he showed up late and booked it the first opportunity he got and in general his attitude was appalling but at the very least, the subject of his lecture was good. He talked about his work around talking about Fermat's Last Theorem and Andrew Wiles and I do believe that for a split second, I was a little inspired but it didn't last long. My maths teacher does a far better job at getting me into maths.

Geography:

Not a lot going on right now - my test for this term is tomorrow and we've moved through some content pretty quickly since my teacher is often busy going on trips since she's in charge of random, dodgy trips to various places that we get emailed about very often but I never really have the capacity to pay attention to. So we've kinda just been chillin when it comes to geography.

Physics:

Served an hour detention this afternoon kek

Test on Friday morning

Had to move the lab book sorting task to over Christmas bc it's a huge mess and revision for my tests and keeping up with classwork has taken precedence.

Misc:

We break up for Christmas at the end of this week!

I don't have a lot planned except a movie marathon or two and tying up loose ends (i.e catching up with anything I've slept on).

I'm hoping to do quite a bit of exam practice on the content we've done so far since mocks are in February, which won't be very long at all after Christmas, especially considering I will be taking almost an entire week off in January as part of a fieldwork trip for geography.

I'm going to resume tagging... since I'm hoping this will be the revival of my dead and neglected GYG. I haven't tagged in a LONG time bc I keep waiting for a good enough update and it never comes - good enough or otherwise. :colondollar: If you care enough, you can scroll back kek. There's some new people on the tag list ( still small bc I do it from memory :emo: ), so if you're thinking "I didn't sign up for this" - worry not, just say the word and I won't tag ya again. :h:

@_gcx @AryanGh @faloodeh @Sonechka @Volibear @bobby147 @Vikingninja @Lemur14 @CoffeeAndPolitics @DeepInTheMeadow @CheeseIsVeg @num.7

YES *****. prsom. you're naughty for getting that detention though
Update 15/12/2017

Look at me actually keeping up 👀 it probably won’t last long kek

Anyway, today’s the last day of term and about time, since I’ve pretty much been undead for the past two weeks or so. I said I was aiming for CCC all across the board for my tests this term and well...

Got my maths results back - another E

Took my physics exam this morning and I KNOW it was trash. It was worse than the one I sat last term

Geography is the only one I’m not sure about. My timing was a little better but I don’t think my answers were as good as last time so I probably did about the same...

So basically, here to report failure. Another thing that was a failure was a local maths competition on Wednesday afternoon; that was massively disappointing, not just because we won nothing but also because my performance was trash and I pretty much got stuck on every single question. They weren’t exam style questions, more like UKMT style questions which I wasn’t really expecting and had no experience with so it was no fun. The girl I was paired with had an awful attitude which really brought the experience down even though the year 11s I was with were amazing. So that sucked.

So we’re ending the term on a bad note. I’m also attending an assembly held for year 11s at my secondary school this afternoon since ex students were invited via email by the deputy so I’m hoping that isn’t hell and that I can give advice that’ll help without screwing up too bad.
:hugs:
I'm proud of you for getting through anyway!
Also here if you need any maths help :yes:
The first term of A levels is really tough, so don't best yourself up about not reaching your target!
You have plenty of time to improve before any real exams.
:hugs::love:
(also your blog is so much more up to date than mine!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
:hugs:
I'm proud of you for getting through anyway!
Also here if you need any maths help :yes:
The first term of A levels is really tough, so don't best yourself up about not reaching your target!
You have plenty of time to improve before any real exams.
:hugs::love:
(also your blog is so much more up to date than mine!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

:cry2: thank uuuu lemùr you're a godsend :hugs:
:cry2: thank uuuu lemùr you're a godsend :hugs:

You're welcome :smile:
It's lovely talking to you :hugs::heart:

Posted from TSR Mobile
U p d a t t 040118

I regret to inform I have unfortunately survived into 2018, and I’m working harder than Eddie’s lungs every time he sees Pennywise. The hamster in my skull has died but the wheel is still moving so without further ado:

Maths:

Failing

Self taught polynomial division, factor theorem and graph transformations over Christmas so this next week will be quite relaxed, though ofc I’ll be spending as much time as I can perfecting my understanding of it all. Really needed that bc I was quite anxious about missing out a lot when I go on my 4 day residential trip next week to Dorset for geography.

Physics:

Failing

Was quite focussed on physics over Christmas and revised 3 chapters and completed as many past paper questions as I could find. Have another 3 chapters to revise and a chapter to self teach over the next couple weeks while I miss out on vital information on how to not fail while trying not to fail my geography coursework next week.

Geography:

Failing

Anxious for next week... coursework has never been my strong point. Bagged A*s in the GCSE geography exams and a low A in the coursework, and that was the highest grade for any coursework I’d ever done.

General:

New Years resolutions are to drink more water and use my free periods

Idek

Cba to tag, that’s it for probably the next couple months lmao ugh. I hate the contrast between recent developments and the beginning of this GYG 🙃
Update 210118

General:

Parents' evening was the other day which went well - got a lot of praise from my teachers despite the fact I was pretty sure I was performing embarrassingly. They said my attitude was good but my confidence was not, but they think I'll improve with work that they know I'll be doing bc they have faith. That made me really happy that day.

My grades have improved a little bit: Around a BCD / CCD now. Morale has improved slightly so I feel a little more confident in how much progress I reckon I can make.

Maths:

Not a lot to say: doing arithmetic and geometric series right now and it's going oooookay... I haven't been this slow to grasp a concept in maths for a bit but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I just keep forgetting which parts mean what when I'm looking at that dodgy sigma notation but I'll get used to it with practice.

Physics:

Catching up after my Dorset residential was difficult with physics: they had done an entire chapter on electricity without me. I've caught up on content now and I'm only doing the homework I missed out on now, while trying to keep up with the current content being taught.

We're going pretty slowly (only done mechanics and started the last chapter of electricity) so once I'm all caught up and made sure I've mastered the concepts across my three subjects that are being taught, I plan on getting ahead a little.

Geography:

Lots of interesting things are going on here: I was selected for geography Oxbridge classes at my school and I had my first session on Friday which was really cool. It was difficult to follow, which I expected but interesting nonetheless, despite the fact it was very theoretical and seemed like more philosophy and sociology than geography but I tried my best to contribute in discussion anyway and I think it went well. That day's session was mostly focused on Michel Foucault and his ideas on power & knowledge.

The Dorset trip went well - it was exhausting as we were working for very long hours every day but nonetheless it was tons of fun and the beaches were beautiful. I got to know my classmates pretty well, but unfortunately there's not much social life at my sixth form so it didn't really count for anything when we got back.

So after carrying out fieldwork at Dorset, we've been writing up coursework... I was dreading it in the last post and as expected, it's not all smooth sailing but I'm determined to make this work.

Tags:

EDIT: ah right reading back the OP there's some other thing I gotta mention - I no longer really plan on engineering. I've kind of realised the field doesn't seem to suit me. I'm kind of reverting to the earlier idea I had to study meteorology (with or without geography). You could probably see why I was interested in engineering at the time, since the engineering disciplines I listed and meteorology are fields related to all three of my A-Levels. But yeah, I've gone back to one of my earlier passions.
(edited 6 years ago)
:bubbles:
Original post by AryanGh
:bubbles:

Hello :hi:
Whenever you tag on updates, feel free to tag me :smile:
Original post by laurawatt
Hello :hi:
Whenever you tag on updates, feel free to tag me :smile:

Alrighty, I'll add you to the tag list :h:
:bumps: