The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I have asked people from the unofficial Year 12 thread to transfer to this one. Also, this is the official one. ^JT
Original post by Sonechka
It's so rare to find others who really like maths and languages/literature! Have you looked into linguistics at all? I was considering physics as well at first, and I'm probably still going to miss it a bit (at least I have mechanics though). I'm also doing AQA French - do you know which texts you'll be studying? We're doing No et Moi and Un sac de billes for prose.

I considered linguistics for a bit but honestly family pressure is too much to take an art at university :/ I love love love languages though I love French and would love to learn another language in future. And I love books too I just don't know if I can honestly be bothered to read old english set texts when I usually stick to books I enjoy

For French A Level tbh I've been so busy with NCS I've barely looked into the course at all. I've mostly been doing the odd bit of vocab
Hello All!

- Introduce yourself
I'm Nathan - I'm a Student, Award Winning Charity Fundraiser, Regional Swimmer, Swimming Teacher, Former Website Administrator & Social Media Manager. For my full intro, see my website - www.nathanshoesmith.gq
- What are your hobbies/interests?
Interested in News, Tech & Politics. Rest covered above.

- What grades did you get for your GCSEs?
AAABBBC556 (before remarks)
- What subjects are you planning to take? (Include the exam board if you know it)

Business Studies - AQA
Politics - Edexcel
Computer Science - Pearson
History - AQA
(1 to be dropped at AS)

To fill the timetable up; Higher Sports Leader Award, Academic Coaching + Study Periods

- If you're thinking of going to university, where will you apply to and what course will you do?
Business Management - not sure where

- What's your ideal future occupation?
Ask me another time.

Anything TSR Related, I'm active on this site most days - just drop me a PM.
All other enquiries, get in touch through my website - link at top of post.

Here's to a great year!

All the best,
Nathan
Introduce yourself
Hi, I'm E, or etherealism, student, human, girl

What are your hobbies/interests?
Eating, Sleeping, Watching YouTube and Netflix, Reading Wattpad

What grades did you get for your GCSEs?
one 7, one 6, one 5, two As, five Bs, one D (but it was expected)

What subjects are you planning to take? (Include the exam board if you know it)
Chemistry (OCR)
Maths (Edexcel)
Spanish (AQA)

If you're thinking of going to university, where will you apply to and what course will you do?
Either Imperial College, Edinburgh or UCL to study Chemical Engineering (MEng)

What's your ideal future occupation?
Chemical Engineer
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi I'm Alexcia,

Interests: Fundraising, Harry Potter, Reading, Disney, RoadTrip (band), Life after the original Fairy Tales (Descendants, etc.)

GCSE Results:
Maths 8
Eng Lang 4
Eng Literature 6
Chemistry A*
Physics A
Biology B
History B
Buisness B
Sociology B
BTEC Health & Social Care Distinction* (A*)
French C
ECDL Distinction* (A*)

A-Level Subjects?
Maths (OCR), Further Maths (OCR), Psychology, History
*Possibly an Extended Project Qualification in Year 13 if the option is available

Universities?
I know I want to attend a Russel Group University but I am not sure which one. I am nearly certain that I will be studying Maths.

Future Occupation?
I am not entirly sure, however I am thinking about maybe working in education or somewhere around Maths
Original post by the_nshoesmith
Hello All!

- Introduce yourself
I'm Nathan - I'm a Student, Award Winning Charity Fundraiser, Regional Swimmer, Swimming Teacher, Former Website Administrator & Social Media Manager. For my full intro, see my website - www.nathanshoesmith.gq
Interested in News, Tech & Politics. Rest covered above.

AAABBBC556 (before remarks)
- What subjects are you planning to take? (Include the exam board if you know it)

Business Studies - AQA
Politics - Edexcel
Computer Science - Pearson
History - AQA
(1 to be dropped at AS)

To fill the timetable up; Higher Sports Leader Award, Academic Coaching + Study Periods

- If you're thinking of going to university, where will you apply to and what course will you do?
Business Management - not sure where

Ask me another time.

Anything TSR Related, I'm active on this site most days - just drop me a PM.
All other enquiries, get in touch through my website - link at top of post.

Here's to a great year!

All the best,
Nathan

Bloody hell, calm down mate.
How tf can you be an award winning charity fundraiser? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of charity work?
BTW sick website
Original post by effystonem
I considered linguistics for a bit but honestly family pressure is too much to take an art at university :/ I love love love languages though I love French and would love to learn another language in future. And I love books too I just don't know if I can honestly be bothered to read old english set texts when I usually stick to books I enjoy

For French A Level tbh I've been so busy with NCS I've barely looked into the course at all. I've mostly been doing the odd bit of vocab

Linguistics isn't always an art, though :frown: I'm studying linguistics with the intention of going into something artificial intelligence-related in the future, and areas such as computational linguistics are going to become hugely important as technology becomes more customised and linguistic. Already, linguistics is the field that has made Siri, Alexa and Google Translate possible, and there is a great deal of overlap between computer science and linguistics in areas related to logic, machine translation, information theory and of course natural language processing. There are also fields like neurolinguistics which is related to cognition, speech and language therapy and understanding medical conditions like aphasia, algebraic linguistics which involves mathematically modelling language and linguistic reasoning (my favee :heart:) and statistical linguistics, which is statistical analysis applied to linguistic data. Linguistics is a little-known field which sounds like it should resemble studying a language, so it gets lumped together with the arts more often than it should, when in fact what I like about it is that it is equally a science and an art.
Introduce yourself
Hi I am r.i.p.me.r.i.p. I have dumb name because I made during GCSEs when I was too stressed.
I like cooking and that's about it? I guess I like tea as well. I enjoy languages (I know English and Russian fluently, am learning German and Japanese, planning to begin learning French and I'm interested in learning Dutch or Norwegian as well)
7 A*s, 3 As and 2 8s.
AQA History, OCR RS, AQA German and Edexcel Japanese
I'm hoping to apply to Oxford for Japanese.
I would love to be a chef but it's not realistic so I'm planning to be a lawyer but we'll see how that goes.

I'm starting sixth form at a new school and I'm so nervous :/ I'm pretty **** at making friends so I'm worried I'll end up with none. Oh and I still need to complete my summer work so better do that rather than browsing TSR
Original post by zq01
Bloody hell, calm down mate.
How tf can you be an award winning charity fundraiser? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of charity work?
BTW sick website

Hi,

Thanks.

The website should explain that capacity, but as a result of my work, I've been awarded multiple awards and nominated for various others. It doesn't defeat the purpose, no, as I don't do it to get awards. I do it simply to make a difference and help others. The website, and much of it's content is written by charities and is simply to make people aware of what I do, as the work has received media attention on multiple occasions.

Hope that clarifies. Any questions, just shout.

All the best,
Nathan
Reply 49
Hi,

Thanks.

The website should explain that capacity, but as a result of my work, I've been awarded multiple awards and nominated for various others. It doesn't defeat the purpose, no, as I don't do it to get awards. I do it simply to make a difference and help others. The website, and much of it's content is written by charities and is simply to make people aware of what I do, as the work has received media attention on multiple occasions.

All the best,
Nathan

You know your sig isn't meant to be your actual signature. You're just making it easy for people to id fraud you. And then you got your full name and email as if this site is linkedin. I hope you don't use the same password for everything.

Spoiler

Original post by Eulogy
You know your sig isn't meant to be your actual signature. You're just making it easy for people to id fraud you. And then you got your full name and email as if this site is linkedin. I hope you don't use the same password for everything.

Spoiler

When I joined TSR I had the option of staying anonymous or revealing my name. I chose the latter, and haven't had any issues with that. And yes, I'm up to date with the latest security and stuff
I'm Ashley, I love football (a Portsmouth fan), and think I'm actually a decent goalkeeper. I like cricket also, all round sports fan, although my figure would suggest otherwise. In my GCSES I got 2As, 4Bs and 4Cs, and for A-Levels I'm taking Government and Politics, Sociology and Law. Would like to go to Uni, but not sure yet. I really would like to do something in politics in the future.
Hi,

Thanks.

All the best,
Nathan

Ah fair enough mate, good job, I guess we need more people like you🙌🏾🙌🏾
Reply 53
@the_nshoesmith Really nice to see that you're heavily involved in charity work, that will really strengthen your extra curricular activities and boost your CA/UCAS application. Personally, I just finished NCS back a few weeks ago and I'm hoping undergo training to become one of their ambassadors. :smile:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
@the_nshoesmith Really nice to see that you're heavily involved in charity work, that will really strengthen your extra curricular activities and boost your CA/UCAS application. Personally, I just finished NCS back a few weeks ago and I'm hoping undergo training to become one of their ambassadors. :smile:

Thank you. :smile: I graduated from NCS at the start of this month. Hoping to go back as a team leader in years to come.
Copy and pasting this from the previous thread...

Hello, my name is CoffeeGeek!
- I like to play video games and I love debating Politics. I also like learning about History.
- I think I got 2A*s, 7/6As, 1/2B and 1C (I ended up getting 2A*s, 6As and 3Bs! Very happy with this :biggrin:)
- Maths (AQA), Economics (AQA), History (OCR), Politics (AQA)
- I would like to go to Oxford and study PPE or Economics (or anything else related to those subjects).
- Not sure what I want to do but probably civil service or working for the government in some sort of way (non-ministerial positions).
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey I'm oliwia
I dont have any interests really, just watching and rewatching shows/movies to kill time.
For gcse i got 9,8,8,A*,A*,A*,A,B,B
I'll be doing maths, further maths and physics (all aqa) , i got the option to do a 4th a level but I'm lazy and its not necessary for uni.
The plan right now is electrical engineering at imperial or oxford , but who knows.
I really want to be able to build electronics/new technology as well as having some say in the design without having to interact with people , the closest occupation I have found to that so far is iron man.
Reply 57
Hi
I like reading and photography
I achieved 10 A*s as GCSE
I'm taking maths, further maths, chemistry and physics (AQA physics, OCR everything else)
I plan to study physics (hopefully natsci at Cambridge) and quite coincidentally I would like to become a physicist
Hey all, I'm lex!
Politics is definetly my thing! I've just finished two weeks work experience at Parliament which was incredible and only expanded my love for it! I also like learning about economics and history!
I currently have 2 9's (Maths + English lit), a 7 (eng Lang), 6 A*'s (Bio, Chem, Phys, Hist, French, Stats) and 2 A's (Drama + Core science that I took in year 10)
- I'm getting both english language and drama remarked as I had hoped to do better in both of these subjects and am fairly close to the grade boundaries!I'm planning to take history, maths and further maths (all edexcel) and also AQA economics
The dream currently is PPE at Oxford but honestly, it's a way off so I'm not set on anything yet!
My dream job is actually working on a political TV show as a producer!
Original post by Sonechka
Linguistics isn't always an art, though :frown: I'm studying linguistics with the intention of going into something artificial intelligence-related in the future, and areas such as computational linguistics are going to become hugely important as technology becomes more customised and linguistic. Already, linguistics is the field that has made Siri, Alexa and Google Translate possible, and there is a great deal of overlap between computer science and linguistics in areas related to logic, machine translation, information theory and of course natural language processing. There are also fields like neurolinguistics which is related to cognition, speech and language therapy and understanding medical conditions like aphasia, algebraic linguistics which involves mathematically modelling language and linguistic reasoning (my favee :heart:) and statistical linguistics, which is statistical analysis applied to linguistic data. Linguistics is a little-known field which sounds like it should resemble studying a language, so it gets lumped together with the arts more often than it should, when in fact what I like about it is that it is equally a science and an art.

that sounds quite cool, seems like you really love linguistics! :biggrin: i might consider it again after that, i've never really seen myself doing anything like that though

Latest