The Student Room Group

Planning to become a web developer, is uni worth it?

Hello everyone!
I am completely new to the student room but I was hoping that I could find help.

So, ive just recently got my HNC in web development and interactive media from college and ive just started my degree today. Ive already covered HTML, Javascript, PHP, mysql, app inventor. The course first ran last year so its completely new apparently. Using html5 and everything... huzzah!

Basically I was told that going onto uni would help my career, however I found myself staring at a bunch of computing courses that I didnt think had anything to do with actually creating web pages! And I looovvveee html (yes that is a little sad but its what I want to do).

My reason for asking is because I was reading a blog about web dev and the person who wrote it said uni would be completely pointless as universities struggle to keep up with latest tech and code!

So I ask you all, am I going to benefit from a university course?
Reply 1
a degree will put you in a much higher chance for getting a job as a web/software developer with high pay than a certificate. if not then make sure you rack up a lot of experience here and there to put in your cv, that can also help. it depends on the employer.
Reply 2
Universities dont "struggle" to keep up with the latest tech. Its just that the prestigious unis dont need to. They are there to teach you the fundamentals. Learning new technologies which change at a very rapid pace is up to you.
Original post by BootsAndCats01
Hello everyone!
I am completely new to the student room but I was hoping that I could find help.

So, ive just recently got my HNC in web development and interactive media from college and ive just started my degree today. Ive already covered HTML, Javascript, PHP, mysql, app inventor. The course first ran last year so its completely new apparently. Using html5 and everything... huzzah!

Basically I was told that going onto uni would help my career, however I found myself staring at a bunch of computing courses that I didnt think had anything to do with actually creating web pages! And I looovvveee html (yes that is a little sad but its what I want to do).

My reason for asking is because I was reading a blog about web dev and the person who wrote it said uni would be completely pointless as universities struggle to keep up with latest tech and code!

So I ask you all, am I going to benefit from a university course?

I assume if you do want to go to university you would be doing a CompSci course?

Anyway, the thing is, universities aren't really there to teach you the latest and greatest technology - any good CS course starts from the ground up and teaches you the mathematics/logic behind computation so you are able to have a solid foundation to build upon when you enter the world of work. There is no point in throwing a student into a course which only teaches them how to use today's technology - you have to learn the basic principles first so that you can understand tomorrow's technology.

Quite a few people will disagree with what I said in my previous paragraph, and if you're the type of person that just wants to get hands-on immediately, then I would go for an apprenticeship in WebDev. I know three people who hated the academia but loved the practical side of CompSci and all three are now working as WebDev apprentices at a few local firms. They seem pretty successful so far.

Having lots and lots of experience is much better than a university degree in this field, to be honest.
(edited 6 years ago)
It would be very beneficial to go to university :smile:
Reply 5
I am an electrical engineer with over 40 years experience [and a master's degree]. I have run quite a number of projects that involved software development. The advantage of a degree, is that it makes you portable. Any company can go broke or be bought. If you decide to 'shop your file' - i.e. your 'cv', and look for another job, the only thing that distinguishes you from another applicant (at first glance) is whether you have a degree, and if so, what? That will get you in the door for an interview. I went back to uni after i'd been working for about 10 years, to get a masters degree, because nobody in D.C. is going to let you run a $3 to $5 mill program without at least a masters. They would not trust you!! It took me 7 years [whilst working full time, and traveling half the time] to get my degree. It was worth it!!

On this side of the pond, as long as the degree is from an accredited uni, it doesn't much matter which one. If it is one of the 'state' unis, [Unis], like 'University of Virginia', the hiring person will have heard of them. If a prestige one 'Yale', 'CalTech', 'MIT' etc, they certainly would have heard of them. Otherwise, probably not, but if they're accredited, it doesn't matter. My experience has been that, without a degree at all, you are definitely at a disadvantage. For higher level jobs [pgm mgr or deputy pgm mgr] you need a Masters. Good luck!! Cheers.
Reply 6
Original post by Blue_Cow
I assume if you do want to go to university you would be doing a CompSci course?

Anyway, the thing is, universities aren't really there to teach you the latest and greatest technology - any good CS course starts from the ground up and teaches you the mathematics/logic behind computation so you are able to have a solid foundation to build upon when you enter the world of work. There is no point in throwing a student into a course which only teaches them how to use today's technology - you have to learn the basic principles first so that you can understand tomorrow's technology.

Quite a few people will disagree with what I said in my previous paragraph, and if you're the type of person that just wants to get hands-on immediately, then I would go for an apprenticeship in WebDev. I know three people who hated the academia but loved the practical side of CompSci and all three are now working as WebDev apprentices at a few local firms. They seem pretty successful so far.

Having lots and lots of experience is much better than a university degree in this field, to be honest.

I believe [IMHO] that you have it exactly right in your first para. I learned to program on an IBM mainframe in Fortran - using punched cards. I still have most of my first programs. I was fairly easily able to graduate to coding on a mini, and later onto a PC. The same was true of 'circuits labs' i took [i'm an electrical engineer]. We were transitioning from tubes to transistors at the time [integrated circuits had yet to be developed]. Later transitioning to LSI and gate arrays was fairly easy. Once you learn the basics, you can advance with technology as it develops. Many of today's students will be working jobs after they graduate - that do not exist today. I occupy my spare time doing satellite earth terminal design. That industry did not exist in 1969. With it, i've lived in 14 countries (at customer expense), and made a decent living whilst doing it. Good luck!!
Original post by Rabbit2
I believe [IMHO] that you have it exactly right in your first para. I learned to program on an IBM mainframe in Fortran - using punched cards. I still have most of my first programs. I was fairly easily able to graduate to coding on a mini, and later onto a PC. The same was true of 'circuits labs' i took [i'm an electrical engineer]. We were transitioning from tubes to transistors at the time [integrated circuits had yet to be developed]. Later transitioning to LSI and gate arrays was fairly easy. Once you learn the basics, you can advance with technology as it develops. Many of today's students will be working jobs after they graduate - that do not exist today. I occupy my spare time doing satellite earth terminal design. That industry did not exist in 1969. With it, i've lived in 14 countries (at customer expense), and made a decent living whilst doing it. Good luck!!

Punch cards! I watched a Computerphile video on it a while back, and dear god they look like a right pain in the backside! Especially if you drop them....
Reply 8
Punch cards! I watched a Computerphile video on it a while back, and dear god they look like a right pain in the backside! Especially if you drop them....

You do two things: 1> You number your statements frequently, and keep a current listing handy. 2> you draw diag lines on the top and sides of the deck. You also hold the decks together with strong rubber bands. If you do all of that, dropped decks are rarely a problem - although you shouldn't drop them in the first place. There was a computer center near D.C. that had a fire once. It got so hot that the aluminum chairs melted. When they got it out, the hard drives had melted, and the magnetic coating melted and ran off. The backup tapes also melted, along with the reels. The last resort, the cards, were in non-'fireproof' card files. They had to pry the drawers open with crowbars (the plastic wheels melted). They got the cards out, and found that they were undamaged, except that they all had a little brown edge around the outside edge. They hauled the cards to a similar computer center further away from D.C., and over 3 days (24 hour days), the rebuilt the operating system, and were operating on the 4th day. So much for "obsolete" technology. If they had depended upon tape backup, they still wouldn't be operating. This was in 1982. Cheers.
Original post by Rabbit2
You do two things: 1> You number your statements frequently, and keep a current listing handy. 2> you draw diag lines on the top and sides of the deck. You also hold the decks together with strong rubber bands. If you do all of that, dropped decks are rarely a problem - although you shouldn't drop them in the first place. There was a computer center near D.C. that had a fire once. It got so hot that the aluminum chairs melted. When they got it out, the hard drives had melted, and the magnetic coating melted and ran off. The backup tapes also melted, along with the reels. The last resort, the cards, were in non-'fireproof' card files. They had to pry the drawers open with crowbars (the plastic wheels melted). They got the cards out, and found that they were undamaged, except that they all had a little brown edge around the outside edge. They hauled the cards to a similar computer center further away from D.C., and over 3 days (24 hour days), the rebuilt the operating system, and were operating on the 4th day. So much for "obsolete" technology. If they had depended upon tape backup, they still wouldn't be operating. This was in 1982. Cheers.

Wow... that's incredible. Thanks for sharing.
Wow... that's incredible. Thanks for sharing.

One of me mates was involved in that fiasco. He said that as he remembered it, it was about 75 boxes of cards [at about 2700 cards/box]. Each card is, of course a code statement [like:] He said that this [as they say in D.C.] "Had visibility at the highest level" - like the Secretary of Defense was quite concerned about getting the mess running again. He said (and this is probably somewhat of an exaggeration), that if they'd been unable to get it running, they'd probably have spent the rest of their lives washing cars for a living. In any event, they succeeded, and he got a promotion out of it, along with a bonus. I later got involved in a project where my agency had promised Justice Dept that they could get a magnetic recording converted to a usable form. It had been recorded on a device that no longer existed. Apparently, nobody else in the agency was able to convert it. I had to build a player for the media, but i managed to get it done in about 4 days. I had enough surplus electronic junk around that i could fabricate fairly quickly. They were quite grateful. I never told anyone that i had sat on my butt for the first 2 days, because i was working on a personal project that i wanted to finish first. It actually took me 2 days! This is the first time i've told anyone. :redface:) Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending