The Student Room Group

Doubting EVERYTHING. :( advice/motivation please

Having one of those days where I'm questioning everything I've thought out.

Considering a medical based career, have been doing for a few years now. I'm going into y11 next, nearly 16. I love the idea of helping and I'm really into science. Researched into it, spoken to people, read books etc. Now doubting it all and wondering if it's beyond my abilities, what if I don't like it etc.

I am really tired though, I probably need a good sleep. Is it usual to doubt potential career paths once in a while or should I consider something different?

Help a girl out. Motivation please, even if you have nothing to do with the specific subject. I just feel sooo lost and like i don't know what to do with myself, now and in the future.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's usual for all of us to doubt ourselves now and then. The important thing is to realise it's because we are tired or upset or hungry and just go watch Netflix or have some doughnuts or something. Relax and come back to thinking about career when you are fresh and clear-headed. I'm sure you'll make a great doctor or scientist one day but are you up to date on GoT because you should be what a great show
Definitely normal to doubt what you want to do. It's happened to me more times than I can think. I just finished year 11, about to go into media course at college and continue with photography. I've had my fair share or doubts about them. It's scary thinking that you might not make it and that you're wasting your time. But just do it, you never know what can happen. I believe in you. Even though this is over used "you only have one life, live it to the fullest".

All the best!!
Just work really hard on your science and maths gcses and see what grades you get and also think of other things you might like to too. When I was in year 11 and early year 12, I was set on doing maths at uni but now I want to do physics or natural science. You don't need to worry about getting 9s in everything (7+ in maths and science, 6+ english would suffice for medicine which is admittedly the most competitive course you could go for...) so don't go doubting your ability before there is any solid proof of it. I personally have really high grades but I doubt myself quite a lot, it's natural- just don't let that doubt be around during exams. Exams are all about being calm and confident under pressure, testing to see if you know the content but also how to optimize your time- good exam technique goes a long way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending