The Student Room Group

Will Unis make further maths part of my offer if taken as a fourth A-level

I have taken AS maths with further maths, but am considering dropping it going into A2 - this would make life much easier, as I would only have to take C3 (retake) and C4 next year to complete the normal maths A-level.

However, if I were to continue with further as well as normal maths, would unis I apply to specify a grade I would need to get in further (no courses I'm applying to require FM to start with).

My thinking is I could impress them by taking further (having got an As in 5 out of 6 year 12 modules and a realistic chance of getting an A in further) but not have my uni offer reliant on the fact I need to get a good grade in it (assuming I do well in my other 3 subjects).

The reason I'm asking this is that I feel that unis must surely have some way of making sure people don't just take further as a fourth subject to make themselves look good with no intention of doing well in a fourth A-level.
What course are you applying for? If it's something related to maths they might specify it as part of the offer. Which modules have you already done?
They're more likely to say something like AAA etc. and sit fourth A level. However, remember unis will look at your predicted grades. Also, you don't want the fourth subject to bring your other grades down (A*AA is far better than AAAA for example). Also, if you think you won't do well (but it sounds like you will) then what's the point? It might look bad for future careers. I was in a similar situation to you, but I want to go on to do law and further maths is not of very much relevance so I dropped it. So I guess it depends on your degree, for example if you want to go on to do physics I would definitely keep further maths.
Also, you can look at the UCAS chance of getting into Uni calculator to see the percentage chance of getting in increase you would get from taking 4
Yeah like you probably don't need to worry about getting an A* in fm and you got an A in pretty much all your modules so far so what makes you think you wont get an A in fm? It's just more maths.
Reply 5
Original post by black1blade
What course are you applying for? If it's something related to maths they might specify it as part of the offer. Which modules have you already done?

I am applying for PPE - some courses seem to require maths, but not further maths. Luckily I've done c1, c2, c3, fp1, s1 and s2 so other than fp1 they could all go towards a maths stats A-level.
Reply 6
Original post by TomHibbs12
They're more likely to say something like AAA etc. and sit fourth A level. However, remember unis will look at your predicted grades. Also, you don't want the fourth subject to bring your other grades down (A*AA is far better than AAAA for example). Also, if you think you won't do well (but it sounds like you will) then what's the point? It might look bad for future careers. I was in a similar situation to you, but I want to go on to do law and further maths is not of very much relevance so I dropped it. So I guess it depends on your degree, for example if you want to go on to do physics I would definitely keep further maths.

Yeah that's true, as I want to do PPE it's probably not worth it. I feel that I'd be in a better position to get top grades in other subjects if I only have 2 maths modules next year.
Reply 7
Original post by TomHibbs12
Also, you can look at the UCAS chance of getting into Uni calculator to see the percentage chance of getting in increase you would get from taking 4

Cheers but annoyingly the calculator hasn't worked for me as 'there's not enough data' for applicants applying to the courses I want to with my subjects. Although I can't believe that applying to PPE having done Econ, Govpol and maths can be that rare!
Original post by tom14321
Cheers but annoyingly the calculator hasn't worked for me as 'there's not enough data' for applicants applying to the courses I want to with my subjects. Although I can't believe that applying to PPE having done Econ, Govpol and maths can be that rare!

Haha it's not - they're good subjects. I would stick with what you have tbh, and focus on uni application.

Quick Reply

Latest