The Student Room Group

A-level help?!

So I've just started year 11 and am beginning to think about A-levels. I'm currently thinking of doing:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
And either psychology or economics

I did my biology and chemistry GCSEs at the end of year 10 and got an A* and A.

Do you think that my choices would have a high workload or would be too difficult (especially chemistry considering I only got an A and it isn't my strongest subject but I really enjoy it)?

Also, what would you recommend out of economics or psychology? Or does anyone have any other ideas of what would go well with those subjects?
I'm looking to go into some sort of biology field at uni
Reply 1
Original post by joeleni
So I've just started year 11 and am beginning to think about A-levels. I'm currently thinking of doing:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
And either psychology or economics

I did my biology and chemistry GCSEs at the end of year 10 and got an A* and A.

Do you think that my choices would have a high workload or would be too difficult (especially chemistry considering I only got an A and it isn't my strongest subject but I really enjoy it)?

Also, what would you recommend out of economics or psychology? Or does anyone have any other ideas of what would go well with those subjects?
I'm looking to go into some sort of biology field at uni

Hiya,
A2 Chemistry is hard, but if you really enjoy it that should be fine as you're more inclined to work hard. I would recommend only doing 3 a-levels possibly, as you'll find chemistry and maths take a lot of work if you want to succeed- ABB is more desirable than BBBB to better unis. Can't recommend as didn't take either- and don't worry about what goes with what, if you want to do science having 3 sciences keeps every door open- do what you enjoy as opposed to what you thinks looks best
Reply 2
pick what you enjoy thats what i would say , chem at a level isnt hard if you revise
Reply 3
Original post by B1g Al
Hiya,
A2 Chemistry is hard, but if you really enjoy it that should be fine as you're more inclined to work hard. I would recommend only doing 3 a-levels possibly, as you'll find chemistry and maths take a lot of work if you want to succeed- ABB is more desirable than BBBB to better unis. Can't recommend as didn't take either- and don't worry about what goes with what, if you want to do science having 3 sciences keeps every door open- do what you enjoy as opposed to what you thinks looks best

hey thanks,
I'm thinking i might take my fourth option as an AS instead of a full A2 because four A-levels sounds like a lot of work and i'd rather focus on those three i guess.
I've heard some scary stuff about A2 chemistry but I hope I'll love it enough to put the work in
Reply 4
Also, would you recommend doing the Extended Project? Do unis actually care about it or would it not be worth my time?
I’m currently doing 4 A-Levels and it isn’t as much work as I first expected. I’m doing maths as one of my A-Levels and it is a lot of work and other people who are doing 4 A-Levels have dropped out of maths because of the work load. I recommend talking to your teachers because they will know how much work you can handle.
GCSE Chemistry was a simplification, A Level Chemistry is a really big jump but with a lot of work in your own time, it is ok.
4 A Levels is very time consuming and not really necessary for uni, they only want 3 A Levels unless you’re aiming for Oxbridge. Do the subjects that you love. I did AS maths and it was pretty rough for me. It’s a useful qualification but unless you’re super passionate about maths, don’t do it.

Ultimately it’s up to you

Quick Reply

Latest