The Student Room Group

Enrolling into a Computer Science course

How can I attend a top uni in the UK for computer science without having to take higher level maths(i enjoy math but im not amazing at it)?
Original post by JainilPatel2002
How can I attend a top uni in the UK for computer science without having to take higher level maths(i enjoy math but im not amazing at it)?

Unfortunately I don't think this is possible. Even though mathematics itself is not super important for computer science, a lot of the top universities still want it because it demonstrate a strong ability to problem solve, which is one of the core skills at the heart of programming.

I'm afraid there's not much you can do, if you're not sure you will get an A in mathematics then your best bet is to apply for a more lenient university. These universities are still fantastic though. Kings College London will let you in with A-Level in either computer science, electronics or physics as a replacement for maths.

Define a "top uni"? Top 30? In which rankings? In the infamous Russel Group?

Here is a list of universities:

- Nottingham
- Kings College London
- Cardiff
- QUB
- Leeds

What they have in common is that they are all top 30 in most rankings for CS, are all in the Russell Group (if that is a big deal to you) and... none of them require you to have A-level maths (some do require CS at A-Level though).

If you have your eye on Imperial, Oxbridge, Bristol or Edinburgh, you will need a good mark in A- level math. The universities I had mentioned in my first list though are all excellent universities by most accounts.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Unfortunately I don't think this is possible. Even though mathematics itself is not super important for computer science, a lot of the top universities still want it because it demonstrate a strong ability to problem solve, which is one of the core skills at the heart of programming.

I'm afraid there's not much you can do, if you're not sure you will get an A in mathematics then your best bet is to apply for a more lenient university. These universities are still fantastic though. Kings College London will let you in with A-Level in either computer science, electronics or physics as a replacement for maths.

Im actually taking IB, will Kings College allow me in if i score well by taking HL Comp Science, Business and Graphics?
Im actually taking IB, will Kings College allow me in if i score well by taking HL Comp Science, Business and Graphics?

They require CS so if you get a top marks you'll probably have a very good chance. The best way to be sure is to e-mail the university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending