The Student Room Group

Maths and Natural Science : Urgent

So I want to study natural science at a Russell Group University. I have wanted to study natural science ever since I was in year 9 but after having a really tough year and due to extenuating circumstances I am now currently on a gap year studying to resit some of my A levels. I received B, D, D in English, Chemistry and Biology respectively, however I still feel somewhat satisfied as I had faced a lot of hostility, discouragement and ignorance from my teachers and believe I can improve significantly as I have performed strongly in in GCSEs with 10 A/A*s out of my 14 GCSEs.

For natural science I am aware that they want you to have done 3 Sciences . However, I dropped maths at As with 163 ums.
If I want to get an A in maths I would need 480 ums , would it be more reasonable to retake English rather than Maths, to atleast meet 3As requirement, even though I would have to resit all three A2 exams for English as it's linear.

I am quite confident that I will be able to get A or A* in the sciences but I am unsure as to how I could achieve an A in Maths, due to the low UMS from As. Although Maths is something I really wish to study and I will probably will not get an offer unless I get an A ,it would be quite difficult to get an A still as I would have to do 6 exams for the two Sciences and more from Maths. So, please could you advice me on what the best options I have or the route I could take in order to study Natural Science?
Original post by Nikstarz
So I want to study natural science at a Russell Group University. I have wanted to study natural science ever since I was in year 9 but after having a really tough year and due to extenuating circumstances I am now currently on a gap year studying to resit some of my A levels. I received B, D, D in English, Chemistry and Biology respectively, however I still feel somewhat satisfied as I had faced a lot of hostility, discouragement and ignorance from my teachers and believe I can improve significantly as I have performed strongly in in GCSEs with 10 A/A*s out of my 14 GCSEs.

For natural science I am aware that they want you to have done 3 Sciences . However, I dropped maths at As with 163 ums.
If I want to get an A in maths I would need 480 ums , would it be more reasonable to retake English rather than Maths, to atleast meet 3As requirement, even though I would have to resit all three A2 exams for English as it's linear.

I am quite confident that I will be able to get A or A* in the sciences but I am unsure as to how I could achieve an A in Maths, due to the low UMS from As. Although Maths is something I really wish to study and I will probably will not get an offer unless I get an A ,it would be quite difficult to get an A still as I would have to do 6 exams for the two Sciences and more from Maths. So, please could you advice me on what the best options I have or the route I could take in order to study Natural Science?

First have you checked entry requirements? If you meet them you should be fine and your referee can mention your extenuating circumstances. Once you have your grades or at least your predicted grades you can apply strategically.
I think maths are important. But for rigid and unchangeable entry requirement it's better to stick to the subjects for which there is a hope in meeting the minimum. I am international ALeveL student and i could still study a lot about maths in chemistry or biology. It's really cross-disciplinary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending