The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

120 credits in less than a year?

I am considering starting an open university certificate to boost my credits but would need to gain the full 120 credits by the end of the academic year. I don't really have much of an idea with distance learning about the workload.

Could anyone tell me if its even possible to complete the full 120 credits from February to July? I might be getting ahead of myself thinking I can do it :biggrin:
It is possible but very hard to do. Are you working at the same time?

You will have to be very organised and dedicated, trying to complete a year's work in about 6 months. Distance learning is different to going into a lecture theatre or school. There is no timetable and no classes as such. You are very much an independent learner. It does depend on you if you can do it. If you have a hectic life you will struggle.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
It is possible but very hard to do. Are you working at the same time?

You will have to be very organised and dedicated, trying to complete a year's work in about 6 months. Distance learning is different to going into a lecture theatre or school. There is no timetable and no classes as such. You are very much an independent learner. It does depend on you if you can do it. If you have a hectic life you will struggle.

Thanks for the reply! I work part time but plan to seriously cut my hours for this course. I really need to have it completed for university next year, long story short I had a bit of a rough time in Sept and couldn't start the modules then which was a real pain.

I'm not worried so much about the studying, more the TMA's and EMA. Are you given all of your assignment dates prior to starting the course?
Original post by stressedotu
Thanks for the reply! I work part time but plan to seriously cut my hours for this course. I really need to have it completed for university next year, long story short I had a bit of a rough time in Sept and couldn't start the modules then which was a real pain.

I'm not worried so much about the studying, more the TMA's and EMA. Are you given all of your assignment dates prior to starting the course?

I would assume so, but I would check with the course leader to be on the safe side.
I am considering starting an open university certificate to boost my credits but would need to gain the full 120 credits by the end of the academic year. I don't really have much of an idea with distance learning about the workload.

Could anyone tell me if its even possible to complete the full 120 credits from February to July? I might be getting ahead of myself thinking I can do it :biggrin:

Are you meaning leave studying for your October presentation modules until February? That's risky and workload will be ridiculously high.

Or are you meaning start February presentation modules instead of October ones? February ones don't finish until September that year and there is no way to speed it up.

TMA and EMA and exam deadlines are set at the beginning of the course. For October presentation modules EMA's and exams are due at the beginning of June (taking out a month from your estimations already), results are out in July. For February presentation modules EMAs and exams are in September and results out in October.
Reply 5
Original post by SuperCat007
Are you meaning leave studying for your October presentation modules until February? That's risky and workload will be ridiculously high.

Or are you meaning start February presentation modules instead of October ones? February ones don't finish until September that year and there is no way to speed it up.

TMA and EMA and exam deadlines are set at the beginning of the course. For October presentation modules EMA's and exams are due at the beginning of June (taking out a month from your estimations already), results are out in July. For February presentation modules EMAs and exams are in September and results out in October.

I would be starting in February. So that means I would have until September to complete both modules instead of July like I thought?

I only ask because I plan to use these credits to get into university for September 2018 and want to know if the full 120 credits in this time frame is unachievable.
Reply 6
I would be starting in February. So that means I would have until September to complete both modules instead of July like I thought?

I only ask because I plan to use these credits to get into university for September 2018 and want to know if the full 120 credits in this time frame is unachievable.

You need to check if the modules you want are available as February starts - not all are, and there's a limited selection. So it might not be possible to complete the required modules for the certificate. You'll also need to check the end date, and then realise that results aren't available until a while after this. If the modules end in September you wouldn't be able to use this for uni entry, as you'll need to meet any offer conditions by August 31st

Yes. The modules will end in September, the results won't be available until the end of October. So using that as entry to uni won't be possible. It may have been if you took an October presentation and could prove you're capable of achieving the grades by the uni cut off date, but you won't be able to do that with February presentation modules.
Reply 8
I have studied 120 credits at the same time (i.e. two modules running concurrently) and it was really, really difficult. I was also working full-time which didn't help matters! It is possible if you're very disciplined and dedicated. You do get your TMA deadlines in advance and can work at your own pace, so if you have more free time one week, you could use that to get ahead a little.

However as others have said, the results wouldn't be available in time for any September 2018 university intake which would be the main problem. Depending on how often the modules run, you could do one module in in Feb next year and one later one and then you'd have the results for both by September 2019.

Quick Reply

Latest