The Student Room Group

Official Music Applicants 2018 entry!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vishalram
Do you know of people who got into jobs from goldsmiths? non eu people?

Thanks a lot anyway :smile:

Stats for internationals doing music at Goldsmiths (so at least ~50 internationals, from a relatively diverse cohort). From here: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/goldsmiths/international

Spoiler

Hi I'm applying for combined honors in music and philosophy at Newcastle, Leeds and Durham.

I've received an offer from Newcastle and I'm very familiar with their facilities as the guitarist of the band I'm in is in doing his music undergrad there so we use their practice rooms and studios, but I'm just wondering if anyone has a scoop on the facilities at Leeds and Durham? I've been on campus at both uni's but didn't get the chance to get a feel of their music departments.

Also if anyone is applying for music and philosophy/ is currently/ has studied it what do you think about the combo? :smile:
Original post by AmyRobson
Hi I'm applying for combined honors in music and philosophy at Newcastle, Leeds and Durham.

I've received an offer from Newcastle and I'm very familiar with their facilities as the guitarist of the band I'm in is in doing his music undergrad there so we use their practice rooms and studios, but I'm just wondering if anyone has a scoop on the facilities at Leeds and Durham? I've been on campus at both uni's but didn't get the chance to get a feel of their music departments.

Also if anyone is applying for music and philosophy/ is currently/ has studied it what do you think about the combo? :smile:

I have a friend doing music and philosophy at Durham! He really enjoys it and it seems like a good combo tbh :smile:

Facilities at Durham are good but not amazing. There are some practice rooms in North Bailey, as well as practice rooms in individual colleges. The faculty has its own concert room and dedicated studio as well. That being said, there are loads of performance opportunities of all kinds - you just have to be pragmatic about it :yep:
Original post by auburnstar
I have a friend doing music and philosophy at Durham! He really enjoys it and it seems like a good combo tbh :smile:

Facilities at Durham are good but not amazing. There are some practice rooms in North Bailey, as well as practice rooms in individual colleges. The faculty has its own concert room and dedicated studio as well. That being said, there are loads of performance opportunities of all kinds - you just have to be pragmatic about it :yep:

Oh wow that's great!

Ah that sounds kind of like a similar scenario to Newcastle then except Newcastle's practice rooms are all in one building, so I imagine it would be handy to have them spread throughout different colleges :smile:

Thanks for getting back me
Original post by AmyRobson
Oh wow that's great!

Ah that sounds kind of like a similar scenario to Newcastle then except Newcastle's practice rooms are all in one building, so I imagine it would be handy to have them spread throughout different colleges :smile:

Thanks for getting back me

No worries! If you want more details on the modules I can PM :smile:
Pros and cons of Birmingham/Durham at least to my experience:

Pros of Birmingham:
- Amazing facilities, and plenty of them (includes IT facilities)
- Good location, convenient for London and travel to most other places; 'city' atmosphere
- Very good performance links, they have connections with the Birmingham Conservatoire and you get money towards instrumental lessons.
- Good social side.
- They have a really great art gallery.

Cons of Birmingham:
- Larger campus with less individual support -- can feel more 'part of a crowd'.
- Mixed reviews on the course (this is just from friends who have gone there, I wouldn't let this put you off)
- City element can be a downside for some

Pros of Durham:
- Lovely location, compact
- Warm friendly atmosphere
- Academically strong, regularly #1/2 for music in the UK (you are more 'pushed' academically)
- Feel more part of a smaller community, only 60-70 students and more seminar teaching

Cons of Durham:
- Location is inconvenient for south of the UK, train tickets are expensive (+ its cold)
- Inadequate facilities
- Minimal support towards instrumental tuition (8hrs covered *per academic year*)

Hi, it's me again😂 I'm still unsure about whether to firm Durham, Manchester or Birmingham. Would you mind telling me about your experience at Durham-any likes or dislikes?
Original post by RoseEleanor
Hi, it's me again😂 I'm still unsure about whether to firm Durham, Manchester or Birmingham. Would you mind telling me about your experience at Durham-any likes or dislikes?

Hi! :smile: I really like Durham. The department is very strong and there is lots of academic support, the material is challenging without being overly stressful. The community is great. Dislikes would be the performance facilities and the fact that performances are all student led. The composition department has a focus in 20th century music, so they don't have as much of a focus on tonal composition.

Feel free to post/message me if you have any more questions
Original post by lok-yin billy
Hi!

I've received offers from several conservatoires for BMus in Flute performance, but am struggling to choose. I have offers from the RNCM, Trinity, Royal Birmingham Conservatoire, and the RWCMD. I also have a reserve from Guildhall (I have no idea when I am going to receive an update on that). Out of the guaranteed offers I have, the RNCM certainly has the best reputation, but Trinity is located in London so it might be better for an orchestral career? I'd be grateful if anyone can comment on the schools! I am also thinking of auditioning for CNSMD-Lyon in France and Codarts Rotterdam and Conservatorium van Amsterdam in the Netherlands, but I guess that's out of the scope of this thread!

Thanks!

Hey Lok-Yin Billy,

Congrats on these offers from all these great institutions!

You are right that London is a great location for an orchestral career, which is an advantage of studying at Trinity Laban. We offer regular side by side projects with orchestras such as BBC Symphony Orchestra and the Philharmonia Orchestra.

There are plenty of other advantages to studying here too - not only do we provide performance training but we also have a strong focus on broad employability skills and collaboration with students from other departments (dance and musical theatre). We are the no. 1 UK conservatoire for graduate employment - and joint no. 2 out of 158 UK universities - according to the Higher Education Statistics Agency: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/publications/long-destinations-2012-13.

We are holding an Open Day on 15th May - you may find it useful to come along and find out more: https://www.trinitylaban.ac.uk/study/how-to-apply/music-applications/music-open-days.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any further questions about TL :smile:

Claire

Stats for internationals doing music at Goldsmiths (so at least ~50 internationals, from a relatively diverse cohort). From here: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/goldsmiths/international

Spoiler

Hey my last question is I have finalised on Goldsmith's or surrey.

I have an offer for composition at surrey and popular music at Goldsmith's. How good is surrey and you think it's well connected to the industry and it's worth studying?

I am hearing London college of music isn't well reputed and stuff. So I thought I LL choose one between Goldsmith's and surrey.

Can you give me some insight about surrey? How well reputed it is. I am talking master music composition at surrey and master popular music production at Goldsmith's.

Sorry for the trouble, this would be my last before i accept one of the offers.

Spoiler

I have an offer for composition at surrey and popular music at Goldsmith's. How good is surrey and you think it's well connected to the industry and it's worth studying?

I am hearing London college of music isn't well reputed and stuff. So I thought I LL choose one between Goldsmith's and surrey.

Can you give me some insight about surrey? How well reputed it is. I am talking masters music composition at surrey and master popular music production at Goldsmith's.

Can you give me some insight about surrey? How well reputed it is. I am talking masters music composition at surrey and master popular music production at Goldsmith's.

I can't speak for Surrey personally, but it seems to have a strong reputation judging by some league tables (ranked within the top 10). I know that league tables don't tell the full picture, however. I haven't studied at Surrey myself but it does seem to be well-connected; they offer a longer course with a year in industry which not many (?) departments do. It's also close to London, which is always a benefit for securing media and music-related jobs (most of these are typically in Manchester's Media City or London). Their staff seem to have good relations with broadcast media and the Erasmus scheme.

Goldsmiths is very good for popular music. I know that one of our members TLG has experience of Goldsmiths at postgrad for ethnomusicology and popular music and enjoyed it.

It is a really tricky choice :redface: They both have many good points. Maybe if you have access to social media you can join a group to ask current students what it is like? TSR is great but I don't think I can give you the nuances/real experience of Surrey vs Goldsmiths. You can try posting in the Surrey and Goldsmiths areas as well, although I don't know how monitored they are with regards to getting responses. :smile:
I can't speak for Surrey personally, but it seems to have a strong reputation judging by some league tables (ranked within the top 10). I know that league tables don't tell the full picture, however. I haven't studied at Surrey myself but it does seem to be well-connected; they offer a longer course with a year in industry which not many (?) departments do. It's also close to London, which is always a benefit for securing media and music-related jobs (most of these are typically in Manchester's Media City or London). Their staff seem to have good relations with broadcast media and the Erasmus scheme.

Goldsmiths is very good for popular music. I know that one of our members TLG has experience of Goldsmiths at postgrad for ethnomusicology and popular music and enjoyed it.

It is a really tricky choice :redface: They both have many good points. Maybe if you have access to social media you can join a group to ask current students what it is like? TSR is great but I don't think I can give you the nuances/real experience of Surrey vs Goldsmiths. You can try posting in the Surrey and Goldsmiths areas as well, although I don't know how monitored they are with regards to getting responses. :smile:

They offer a longer course with a year in the industry? Is that for post graduate as well? I don't see it online. Can you send me a link or something with the industry year one? I would love that.
They offer a longer course with a year in the industry? Is that for post graduate as well? I don't see it online. Can you send me a link or something with the industry year one? I would love that.

https://www.surrey.ac.uk/postgraduate/music-composition-mmus-2018

I did misread slightly but

"There may be opportunities to acquire valuable European experience by working or conducting research abroad during your degree or shortly afterwards. It is possible to do this in the summer period with an Erasmus+ grant working on your dissertation or as a recent graduate. In order to qualify your Erasmus+ traineeship must be a minimum of two months."

You can apply through Erasmus+ to a music-related scheme in a country outside the UK for a minimum of two months.

I could be reading wrong though (this wouldn't surprise me xD)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending