The Student Room Group

Official Music Applicants 2018 entry!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Madeleine1957
That is great. What an achievement to get a place. I hope you have a marvellous time there. The best of luck from another singer!

Thank you so much!!
Original post by Madeleine1957
Why did you apply for two such different courses?

They weren’t actually that different in practical context. I went with Leeds because of the atmosphere and the development of the course over the 3 years. The only real difference in these two was the amount of history of music I would have studied at RCS. Where as Leeds is more practical and industry based.
Hi!

I've received offers from several conservatoires for BMus in Flute performance, but am struggling to choose. I have offers from the RNCM, Trinity, Royal Birmingham Conservatoire, and the RWCMD. I also have a reserve from Guildhall (I have no idea when I am going to receive an update on that). Out of the guaranteed offers I have, the RNCM certainly has the best reputation, but Trinity is located in London so it might be better for an orchestral career? I'd be grateful if anyone can comment on the schools! I am also thinking of auditioning for CNSMD-Lyon in France and Codarts Rotterdam and Conservatorium van Amsterdam in the Netherlands, but I guess that's out of the scope of this thread!

Thanks!
Original post by lok-yin billy
Hi!

I've received offers from several conservatoires for BMus in Flute performance, but am struggling to choose. I have offers from the RNCM, Trinity, Royal Birmingham Conservatoire, and the RWCMD. I also have a reserve from Guildhall (I have no idea when I am going to receive an update on that). Out of the guaranteed offers I have, the RNCM certainly has the best reputation, but Trinity is located in London so it might be better for an orchestral career? I'd be grateful if anyone can comment on the schools! I am also thinking of auditioning for CNSMD-Lyon in France and Codarts Rotterdam and Conservatorium van Amsterdam in the Netherlands, but I guess that's out of the scope of this thread!

Thanks!

You need to investigate flute professors as a priority. I would have recommended GSMD but must admit to being an alumni.
Joining a little lat but ah well 😅
Uni choices: Leeds (firm), Hull (insurance), Newcastle, Southampton, Cambridge (rejection)
A levels: English lit, Film studies, music and Theatre studies (yeah, I'm that person 😝😂)
Predicted grades: AABA
AS grades: Film A, haven't done mocks yet
GCSE grades: 1A*, 3A, 7B
Why English?: Well actually it's English and Music, I couldn't decide (!) But I just love music, the way that composition lets us lose ourseves, or express what we're feeing. That's important, I think, expression of the self 😊
Reply 85
Is anyone else applying for Napier?
Original post by slmuso
Is anyone else applying for Napier?

I'm not personally but about half my year at college are. No one's been given any info yet though apparently
I heard back from Glasgow btw. I've two unconditionals for the BMus and Maths/Music MA there and Durham gave me a conditional for AB. Still haven't heard from Edinburgh
Original post by thewrongofsummer
I heard back from Glasgow btw. I've two unconditionals for the BMus and Maths/Music MA there and Durham gave me a conditional for AB. Still haven't heard from Edinburgh

WOO!! :biggrin:
I am looking to get into the music production/electroacoustic / electronic music composing.

I have applied for Westminster , Goldsmiths, birmingham, leeds and london college of music university of westlondon, hertfordshire and york?

i really dont know what is good for music production and tech and electronic music courses.
I am talking about Masters in music and not undergrad.

Would love to speak with people here and get to know reviews and experiences :smile:
Original post by vishalram
I am looking to get into the music production/electroacoustic / electronic music composing.

I have applied for Westminster , Goldsmiths, birmingham, leeds and london college of music university of westlondon, hertfordshire and york?

i really dont know what is good for music production and tech and electronic music courses.
I am talking about Masters in music and not undergrad.

Would love to speak with people here and get to know reviews and experiences :smile:

Just off the top of my head I'd recommend LCM, York and Birmingham.
They've all got great departments from what I've heard with Birmingham and LCM having a strong musical link with the city.
That's just general stuff though, I've no idea about music production but I'm sure composition departments are very strong -- I saw a lot of relevent stuff pop up when I googled 'York Uni Electroacoustic Music' there's a staff/student ensemble thing called 'The White Rose 3x3' it's in collaboration with Sheffield and Leeds Unis, looks like they did a tour in 2017 too.

Personally, I think Yorks the strongest option. I think LCM is a good option too -- check out the departments and see what you think! :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Just off the top of my head I'd recommend LCM, York and Birmingham.
They've all got great departments from what I've heard with Birmingham and LCM having a strong musical link with the city.
That's just general stuff though, I've no idea about music production but I'm sure composition departments are very strong -- I saw a lot of relevent stuff pop up when I googled 'York Uni Electroacoustic Music' there's a staff/student ensemble thing called 'The White Rose 3x3' it's in collaboration with Sheffield and Leeds Unis, looks like they did a tour in 2017 too.

Personally, I think Yorks the strongest option. I think LCM is a good option too -- check out the departments and see what you think! :biggrin:

Hey thanks a lot! how good is westminster or goldsmiths? i have an interview with westminster tomorrow.

My top priority is lcm, birmingham, leeds and york. But everyones been saying westminster is amazing and goldsmiths also.
Since i am from india, i cant go and check out the place. I am hearing good things about hertfordshire as well. they have amazing music department.

If you know about westminster or goldsmiths or hertfordshire and if you can share something it will be good :smile:
Hey thanks a lot! how good is westminster or goldsmiths? i have an interview with westminster tomorrow.

My top priority is lcm, birmingham, leeds and york. But everyones been saying westminster is amazing and goldsmiths also.
Since i am from india, i cant go and check out the place. I am hearing good things about hertfordshire as well. they have amazing music department.

If you know about westminster or goldsmiths or hertfordshire and if you can share something it will be good :smile:

I don't personally have any experience with any I'm afraid. But maybe that's cause I'm up in Scotland.

@auburnstar @The_Lonely_Goatherd do you know any more?
Thanks a lot! Looking forward to hearing from your 2 tagged friends :smile:

I don't personally have any experience with any I'm afraid. But maybe that's cause I'm up in Scotland.

@auburnstar @The_Lonely_Goatherd do you know any more?
Hi @vishalram ,

I did my Masters at Goldsmiths but in ethnomusicology. I don't really know about its reputation or facilities for electroacoustic composition to comment :colondollar:

As an overall uni, Goldsmiths doesn't have the strongest reputation - York is the most prestigious uni (overall) that you've mentioned. That said, I would be inclined to think either LCM or Westminster might have the strongest reputation in your particular field.

Sorry I can't be of more help, as this is a very different field to mine :colondollar:

I can't speak for Westminster or Goldsmiths - I can only speak for Birmingham and York. York is a very strong department esp for performance/tonal composition and Birmingham has good conservatoire/performance links.

But as for the electroacoustic stuff (other than what goes on at my uni - which tends towards weird 20th-century electroacoustic music composition), I would imagine that LCM or Westminster might be stronger as TLG suggested :smile: The proximity to London may also be helpful
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hi @vishalram ,

I did my Masters at Goldsmiths but in ethnomusicology. I don't really know about its reputation or facilities for electroacoustic composition to comment :colondollar:

As an overall uni, Goldsmiths doesn't have the strongest reputation - York is the most prestigious uni (overall) that you've mentioned. That said, I would be inclined to think either LCM or Westminster might have the strongest reputation in your particular field.

Sorry I can't be of more help, as this is a very different field to mine :colondollar:

Right, thanks a lot :smile: I hope westminster or lcm have good career centers. i am hearing negative stuff about lcm career department so.
Original post by auburnstar
I can't speak for Westminster or Goldsmiths - I can only speak for Birmingham and York. York is a very strong department esp for performance/tonal composition and Birmingham has good conservatoire/performance links.

But as for the electroacoustic stuff (other than what goes on at my uni - which tends towards weird 20th-century electroacoustic music composition), I would imagine that LCM or Westminster might be stronger as TLG suggested :smile: The proximity to London may also be helpful

Do you know of people who got into jobs from goldsmiths? non eu people?

Thanks a lot anyway :smile:
Do you know of people who got into jobs from goldsmiths? non eu people?

Thanks a lot anyway :smile:

Not sure if you meant to address this to me rather than auburnstar! I didn't really keep in proper contact with anyone from Goldsmiths and wasn't friends with anyone working on composition or music production. There was one Indian guy doing a musicology PhD, who I know now works for some kinda music centre/school in Chennai :yes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Not sure if you meant to address this to me rather than auburnstar! I didn't really keep in proper contact with anyone from Goldsmiths and wasn't friends with anyone working on composition or music production. There was one Indian guy doing a musicology PhD, who I know now works for some kinda music centre/school in Chennai :yes:

Right, Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending