The Student Room Group

Biology degree or accounting apprenticeship?

So...I don't really know what to do at university, so I'm just choosing my best subject; biology to do next year.
But, I've done some research on this degree and it really doesn't have good job prospects without further education.
So, I was thinking about doing a 12-month accounting apprenticeship and then reapply for uni for accounting and management.
I'd apply for that now, but I litterally have no experience, no math related subjects,nothing to write about in my personal statement, and it's due in a couple weeks ( schools internal deadline)...so I'm stuck there.
What would you suggest? Go for bio or the apprenticeship?
You say "without further education" as though that's a chore. Realistically, if you want to be a practicing scientist, the opportunity to do further and more in depth research is something you'll look forward to, compared to the tedium of written examinations.

However, I sympathise that as a 6th form student it's a daunting prospect, and it absolutely seemed like something I would never want to do at that time. I would recommend not considering that now - once you get your degree (or at least, in final year) you'll normally know if it's something you would want to pursue, and you can cross that bridge when you get to it. You may well find that your final year project/dissertation/thesis was just a taste and you want to eat the whole cake :wink:

Additionally you can go into accounting without an accounting degree - you can actually go into it with any degree, including biology, through various grad schemes. Do you want to be an accountant? Do you know that for sure? If you aren't certain there is no harm in doing a degree in an area of interest and then pursuing that if you lose interest in that area. Doing the apprenticeship and then applying for a degree in the subject is very much "eggs in one basket". You may also want to see the commencement speech Jim Carey gave regarding his accountant father.

Quick Reply

Latest