The Student Room Group

Strange Adapting To Year 12

I've just started Year 12 and I'm studying Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Physics and I'm really enjoying all of these subjects, however I'm finding it hard adapting to doing so few subjects. I really miss doing a load of subjects I loved Spanish and Geography a lot. People have told me I can just keep them up as hobbies and I have with Spanish, but I miss the formality of lessons in them and I'm not quite sure how to keep up geography as a hobby except maybe to read magazines like Nat Geo haha. I just feel strange doing nearly all science subjects, since I consider myself an all rounder (I got A*s in all my subjects last year) and if you asked me what subjects I was taking for A Level about a year ago, I probably wouldn't have said three sciences (bio and chem at the most), but in Year 11 I realised I wanted to go into medicine or similar and the sciences were definitely some of my favourite subjects. I guess I'm just looking for advice about how to adapt to this change and maybe advice on keeping up my interests in other subjects. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Tombre
I've just started Year 12 and I'm studying Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Physics and I'm really enjoying all of these subjects, however I'm finding it hard adapting to doing so few subjects. I really miss doing a load of subjects I loved Spanish and Geography a lot. People have told me I can just keep them up as hobbies and I have with Spanish, but I miss the formality of lessons in them and I'm not quite sure how to keep up geography as a hobby except maybe to read magazines like Nat Geo haha. I just feel strange doing nearly all science subjects, since I consider myself an all rounder (I got A*s in all my subjects last year) and if you asked me what subjects I was taking for A Level about a year ago, I probably wouldn't have said three sciences (bio and chem at the most), but in Year 11 I realised I wanted to go into medicine or similar and the sciences were definitely some of my favourite subjects. I guess I'm just looking for advice about how to adapt to this change and maybe advice on keeping up my interests in other subjects. Thanks :smile:

Omg same, I've honestly become so used to all the revision I have nothing to revise for, but I suppose in some sense that is a good thing. Idk I just really wish I could of taken more subjects even though I didn't do anywhere near as good as you (I got A's and B's) I guess it is what it is, and I suppose we'll be crying from work overload this time next year !! I'm doing psychology, maths and English language but tbh I really think I've made the wrong choice because they just don't fit together and it's sort of starting to stress me out now. I understand what you're going through because honestly speaking, history was probably my favourite subject and right now I miss it so much I don't have the strength to throw away my revision notes and stuff (deep i know ), but there ya go. And tbf you can sort of keep Spanish going if you want, at the end of the day it is a language and if you got an A* then you must be pretty darn good. I did French and got a B, I don't ever want to talk about it again !!! Ahhhh, we win some and we loose some my friend, keep your head up, you did great at GCSE and your A-Level options are amazing, and tbh you might think your a Level options aren't great or they don't fit well, but through my perspective I wish I'd done a science, seriously, I'd say sciences get you far ! Good luck, hope I helped 🙂
Reply 2
Original post by __gurlll1011__
Omg same, I've honestly become so used to all the revision I have nothing to revise for, but I suppose in some sense that is a good thing. Idk I just really wish I could of taken more subjects even though I didn't do anywhere near as good as you (I got A's and B's) I guess it is what it is, and I suppose we'll be crying from work overload this time next year !! I'm doing psychology, maths and English language but tbh I really think I've made the wrong choice because they just don't fit together and it's sort of starting to stress me out now. I understand what you're going through because honestly speaking, history was probably my favourite subject and right now I miss it so much I don't have the strength to throw away my revision notes and stuff (deep i know ), but there ya go. And tbf you can sort of keep Spanish going if you want, at the end of the day it is a language and if you got an A* then you must be pretty darn good. I did French and got a B, I don't ever want to talk about it again !!! Ahhhh, we win some and we loose some my friend, keep your head up, you did great at GCSE and your A-Level options are amazing, and tbh you might think your a Level options aren't great or they don't fit well, but through my perspective I wish I'd done a science, seriously, I'd say sciences get you far ! Good luck, hope I helped 🙂

Ah, it is a weird feeling isn't it? I agree completely, I wish we didn't have to narrow down to so few subjects. It'd be nice if there was a stage between GCSE and AS where you do maybe about 6 subjects. Also you did really well in your GCSEs so don't worry! Your subjects do actually go very well together, since maths links very well with the stats in psychology and psychology links with the spoken language aspect of English language. But if you aren't enjoying your subjects for whatever reason, it isn't too late to change. I do get what you mean about throwing away revision notes, I haven't done that either. Thank you so much, same to you! And don't worry about not doing a science. Science isn't everything (despite what some people say :colonhash:) and maths does count as a science in some respects!
Original post by Tombre
Ah, it is a weird feeling isn't it? I agree completely, I wish we didn't have to narrow down to so few subjects. It'd be nice if there was a stage between GCSE and AS where you do maybe about 6 subjects. Also you did really well in your GCSEs so don't worry! Your subjects do actually go very well together, since maths links very well with the stats in psychology and psychology links with the spoken language aspect of English language. But if you aren't enjoying your subjects for whatever reason, it isn't too late to change. I do get what you mean about throwing away revision notes, I haven't done that either. Thank you so much, same to you! And don't worry about not doing a science. Science isn't everything (despite what some people say :colonhash:) and maths does count as a science in some respects!

Hmm true, maths is quite a good a level actually so I’ll give you that one 😉 Your so right there should be a stage between GCSEs and AS, it would make our lives less painful (and we wouldn’t feel sad throwing away our revision notes I suppose 🙄😂). Anyway, good luck with your A Levels I’m always here for a chat 🙂
No one could literally care less. why you telling us? stfu please

Quick Reply

Latest