The Student Room Group

Sick of my parents annoying me about me skiving school

So im doing my AS's and I feel that I work much better at home than in school which was the same at GCSE and i still managed to get one of the highest set of grades in the year group.

Basically when I tell my parents that im not going into school the next day they get all annoyed and threaten to contact the principal of the school to say that im refusing to go in. I understand that they only want me to do well but I can do well even though I'm absent from school.

My parents seem to forget that after the 30th of June this year my compulsory education ended so how can they force me to go in? My school know that i work hard outside of school anyway. Surely since I no longer have to attend school by law my parents cannot force me to go in on any day I don't want to?
I used to take tonnes of time off school during Sixth form. I went to my local state school and it was pretty average, and I knew I would work better at home. I probably averaged like 3/5 days at home a week, because I used to ask the teachers what we were doing next lesson, and if it was easy or it was pointless I wouldn't come in. I'd only ever come in on those days if I wanted to speak to my friends. My parents, teachers and head of sixth got really annoyed about it, but they basically ended up eventually not caring, and I got the highest results in my school's history (3A*) so I guess they were wrong. I'd advise you to keep doing it, if you find it effective like I did.
Reply 2
Original post by Apple2017
So im doing my AS's and I feel that I work much better at home than in school which was the same at GCSE and i still managed to get one of the highest set of grades in the year group.

Basically when I tell my parents that im not going into school the next day they get all annoyed and threaten to contact the principal of the school to say that im refusing to go in. I understand that they only want me to do well but I can do well even though I'm absent from school.

My parents seem to forget that after the 30th of June this year my compulsory education ended so how can they force me to go in? My school know that i work hard outside of school anyway. Surely since I no longer have to attend school by law my parents cannot force me to go in on any day I don't want to?

Just some anecdotal advice- I got 10 A*s and 2 B's at GCSE and 4 A's at As level. In April of my A2 year I fell ill and genuinely couldn't study properly for all of that month and because my subjects were linear (?) (AS didn't matter) I got unlucky with A* B D grades, my firm was A*A*A and insurance ABB do I'm now having to redo the year externally (gap year with exams at the end basically).😧😧

This is just to say you never know what might happen so sometimes learning in class is just better so you learn all the content and miss nothing out because you don't know what might happen 👐

Are you 18? thats when your compulsory education ends unless you have taken another path like apprenticeship. You are still required to be in education or training for 20 hrs a week.

When you agreed to sixth form then you agreed to abide by the rules of the school, which I am sure will include attendance. Have you got express permission from the school that you can choose when to go in?

Its still your parents house.

Carry on the way you are as you know best and am sire everything will work out just fine. tell everyone you have a right in law to do as you wish and theres nothing anyone can do.

Actually you still need to be in some form of education or apprenticeship until you're 18 (I assume you're 16/just 17). They are probably just worried that you will get kicked out of school for not attending and for the most part, know that most students that skip school do rubbish in their exams etc.

If you live under their house and they pay for your food, rent, bills etc they can force you to do what they feel is best (within reason obvs).

Edit: Also they can get in trouble with the police because of you not attending school
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending