The Student Room Group

Plz help. How should I tell my parents?

I'm not sure whether this should be in this discussion or the health discussion but this is my issue recently:

My parents kind of have this idea of having a "perfect child" (mostly health-wise I guess) and they want me to be that child. So when I have some sort of issue with my health, whether it be big or small, they get annoyed and kind of irritated that there's "something wrong with me or that "I didn't look after myself enough". I understand that sometimes, I may have not looked after myself properly but some things are also out of my control.

Getting to the point, recently, I've been having terrible toothache to the point I can't sleep well. I have like 2-3 badly decayed teeth and I just know that my parents will get super annoyed/angry at me (cos of bad health n having to spend money to fix it) but I genuinely need it repaired asap cos it's getting kind of unbearable.

How should I tell my parents without them getting too annoyed/angry/irritated? Any advice would be great
Reply 1
Could you tell someone else who could help you? Like an aunt/uncle or something? It’s possible you could do it all yourself if you’re over 16 I think? Or if you need to tell your parents you could tell them at the same time as telling them something good?
I understand how challenging it can be to talk to your parents about health issues, especially when they have certain expectations. Finding the right way to communicate your concerns can make a difference. I have some suggestions on how to discuss your toothache with your parents without them getting too annoyed or angry. But honestly they should have a better mindset as parents.

First, choose a calm and relaxed moment to talk to them when they're not busy or stressed. This will help create a more open and focused conversation.

Next, explain to them that you've been experiencing terrible toothache that is affecting your sleep and causing a lot of discomfort. Let them know it's becoming unbearable and impacting your daily life.

It's important to emphasize the need for timely treatment. Help them understand that delaying it could make the situation worse and lead to more serious problems. Let them know you're seeking a solution as soon as possible to prevent further discomfort and potential long-term consequences.

When discussing the issue, it's okay to acknowledge any areas where you might have fallen short in taking care of your dental health. Assure them that you're actively working to find a solution and are committed to maintaining better oral hygiene practices in the future.

To ease their concerns about the cost, you can offer potential solutions and show that you've researched different treatment options and associated expenses. This demonstrates your responsibility and involvement in finding a solution.

During the conversation, express your genuine feelings about their potential reaction. Let them know that you value their support and understanding during this time. Assure them that you're sharing this information because you trust their guidance and want to work together to find a resolution.

Remember, open and honest communication is key. By approaching the conversation with empathy, accountability, and a clear plan for addressing the issue, you can help alleviate their potential annoyance or anger while prioritizing your health needs.

I hope it all goes well!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Could you tell someone else who could help you? Like an aunt/uncle or something? It’s possible you could do it all yourself if you’re over 16 I think? Or if you need to tell your parents you could tell them at the same time as telling them something good?

No, I can't really tell an aunt/uncle sadly
Reply 4
I'm not sure whether this should be in this discussion or the health discussion but this is my issue recently:

My parents kind of have this idea of having a "perfect child" (mostly health-wise I guess) and they want me to be that child. So when I have some sort of issue with my health, whether it be big or small, they get annoyed and kind of irritated that there's "something wrong with me or that "I didn't look after myself enough". I understand that sometimes, I may have not looked after myself properly but some things are also out of my control.

Getting to the point, recently, I've been having terrible toothache to the point I can't sleep well. I have like 2-3 badly decayed teeth and I just know that my parents will get super annoyed/angry at me (cos of bad health n having to spend money to fix it) but I genuinely need it repaired asap cos it's getting kind of unbearable.

How should I tell my parents without them getting too annoyed/angry/irritated? Any advice would be great

Just tell them- if it's an infection it could spread to your brain quickly. If you're under 19, it should be free too
Reply 5
Original post by WhoStoleMyName?
I understand how challenging it can be to talk to your parents about health issues, especially when they have certain expectations. Finding the right way to communicate your concerns can make a difference. I have some suggestions on how to discuss your toothache with your parents without them getting too annoyed or angry. But honestly they should have a better mindset as parents.

First, choose a calm and relaxed moment to talk to them when they're not busy or stressed. This will help create a more open and focused conversation.

Next, explain to them that you've been experiencing terrible toothache that is affecting your sleep and causing a lot of discomfort. Let them know it's becoming unbearable and impacting your daily life.

It's important to emphasize the need for timely treatment. Help them understand that delaying it could make the situation worse and lead to more serious problems. Let them know you're seeking a solution as soon as possible to prevent further discomfort and potential long-term consequences.

When discussing the issue, it's okay to acknowledge any areas where you might have fallen short in taking care of your dental health. Assure them that you're actively working to find a solution and are committed to maintaining better oral hygiene practices in the future.

To ease their concerns about the cost, you can offer potential solutions and show that you've researched different treatment options and associated expenses. This demonstrates your responsibility and involvement in finding a solution.

During the conversation, express your genuine feelings about their potential reaction. Let them know that you value their support and understanding during this time. Assure them that you're sharing this information because you trust their guidance and want to work together to find a resolution.

Remember, open and honest communication is key. By approaching the conversation with empathy, accountability, and a clear plan for addressing the issue, you can help alleviate their potential annoyance or anger while prioritizing your health needs.

I hope it all goes well!

Thank you for the advice
Reply 6

If I be honest, just tell them bluntly. Of course with politeness and integrity, but just tell them. Imo, it will hurt their emotions if you tell someone else. Just tell them that you do not like it when your parents make a big fuss out of these things. We are all liable to get some health issues, we are not perfect human beings. Even the best sportspersons can get sick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending