The Student Room Group

Please help me!! Sixth form or college???

Hi guys, so I'm in y11 and I'm really conflicted over where to go next year. Obviously I don't have to choose immediately, but thinking about it is stressing me out. Bit of background:

The 6th form at my school is very very good at results and support. However, their pastoral care isn't out of this world. I don't have too many friends that will stay. The school is very corporate and doesn't really value the individual. It is local to me - about two miles away. Takes 5/10 mins to drive to and 40 minutes to walk to. I would have to stay all day, 8-3, and wear a strict business dress.

I'm looking at a college that is relatively new - they have only had one set of official results. It's about a 15/20 minute drive away and I'd most likely have to get the bus until I pass my test, which obviously makes it even less convenient. The student ambassadors I've spoken to seem amazing and like they'd be great friends. The atmosphere generally seems great. Plus, it's right next to a shopping centre. This shouldn't be a factor but it is :smile: on free periods I could go there.

Points about me as an individual:
I need time to myself to recharge
Familiarity is everything to me
I want to be quite independent
I value long-lasting relationships
Don't like change
Considering doing Medicine at uni

Please can someone help me weigh it up?! Spoken to teachers and friends and family, all they say is 'you have to do what's right for you'. I know that's true, but nobody is giving me unbiased advice and I would love to hear people's opinions on my situation.

I will love you forever. Thanks in advance :h:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Stay at school. For medicine, results (not shopping in your free periods) will be key to your future.
Original post by ethistu7
Hi guys, so I'm in y11 and I'm really conflicted over where to go next year. Obviously I don't have to choose immediately, but thinking about it is stressing me out. Bit of background:

The 6th form at my school is very very good at results and support. However, their pastoral care isn't out of this world. I don't have too many friends that will stay. The school is very corporate and doesn't really value the individual. It is local to me - about two miles away. Takes 5/10 mins to drive to and 40 minutes to walk to. I would have to stay all day, 8-3, and wear a strict business dress.

I'm looking at a college that is relatively new - they have only had one set of official results. It's about a 15/20 minute drive away and I'd most likely have to get the bus until I pass my test, which obviously makes it even less convenient. The student ambassadors I've spoken to seem amazing and like they'd be great friends. The atmosphere generally seems great. Plus, it's right next to a shopping centre. This shouldn't be a factor but it is :smile: on free periods I could go there.

Points about me as an individual:
I need time to myself to recharge
Familiarity is everything to me
I want to be quite independent
I value long-lasting relationships
Don't like change
Considering doing Medicine at uni

Please can someone help me weigh it up?! Spoken to teachers and friends and family, all they say is 'you have to do what's right for you'. I know that's true, but nobody is giving me unbiased advice and I would love to hear people's opinions on my situation.

I will love you forever. Thanks in advance :h:

Just to be clear - You'd be doing A-Levels at both? The fact you're considering medicine means excellent A-Level grades in Chem, etc. Are essential. So your studies should come first.
I would stay at your school. You'll need good results for medicine, which is what you said the school are good at. You also said there's a lot of support, so some teachers may still be able to give you some sort of pastoral care.

I don't think the shopping centre should be a factor at all because you should be working in your frees. Also, the student ambassadors have to be friendly, and you don't know what the college will be like day to day. It could be a good idea to stick to familiarity.

If you know that you will be really unhappy at your school, then maybe you should go to the college. But if you can get along at your school, then it's probably best to stay there.

Quick Reply

Latest