The Student Room Group

How to improve in English Lit and Lang

Compared to my other grades I got in my recent mocks I am really lacking in english lit and lang
My grades were:
science: 9
science additional: 9
maths: 8
english lang: 6
english lit: 6
geography:9
History:9
French: 9
R.S: 7
What do you guys think I should do to get a 7 English lit and lang so it can become in line with my other results?
I got 45/64 on paper 1 lit
and 56/80 on english lang paper 2
So how would I improve this to get a 7.
Find the mark scheme and past papers online so you can see exactly how to get into the top band. Try completing a couple of questions from the paper and see if your teacher could mark them. Ask them if they could tell you how to gain the rest of the marks. Hopefully you have a nice one who is willing to help!
Reply 2
It's difficult to say what your next steps should be without knowing exactly what you're doing in your tests, but I'd recommend reading mark schemes so you know what the examiner is looking for, learning answer structures so you're not writing too much or too little, and using the PEEZEL structure for literature (you may have learnt PEE lower down the school) in each paragraph of your essay when analysing a text.

P - state your Point, make a definitive statement regarding the text. ("I think appearance versus reality is a strong theme in Macbeth")

E - give Evidence for your point, most likely a quote or a plot point. ("This can be inferred from when Lady Macbeth says 'look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under it'")

E - Explain why the quote or plot point is relevant to your original point. ("This displays that Macbeth and Lady Macbeth aren't as trustworthy as they appear because...")

Z - Zoom in on a particular part of the quote. ("The word 'serpent' is used because it has connotations of...")

E - Explain (again) why this zoomed in feature is relevant to your original point. ("This is important to the theme of appearance vs reality because...")

L - Link your point and analysis back to the original essay title. You will lose marks if you don't do this. ("Therefore, I think the theme of appearance vs reality is much more important than the theme of nature, because the quote suggests...")

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck on your upcoming exams. Sorry for the long post but I think it really helped me in my exams (I got an 8 in lit and 9 in lang after scoring 5s and 6s in class) and I'm not sure it's taught in schools.
~ Libby, year 12
Reply 3
Original post by LTiernan
It's difficult to say what your next steps should be without knowing exactly what you're doing in your tests, but I'd recommend reading mark schemes so you know what the examiner is looking for, learning answer structures so you're not writing too much or too little, and using the PEEZEL structure for literature (you may have learnt PEE lower down the school) in each paragraph of your essay when analysing a text.

P - state your Point, make a definitive statement regarding the text. ("I think appearance versus reality is a strong theme in Macbeth":wink:

E - give Evidence for your point, most likely a quote or a plot point. ("This can be inferred from when Lady Macbeth says 'look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under it'":wink:

E - Explain why the quote or plot point is relevant to your original point. ("This displays that Macbeth and Lady Macbeth aren't as trustworthy as they appear because...":wink:

Z - Zoom in on a particular part of the quote. ("The word 'serpent' is used because it has connotations of...":wink:

E - Explain (again) why this zoomed in feature is relevant to your original point. ("This is important to the theme of appearance vs reality because...":wink:

L - Link your point and analysis back to the original essay title. You will lose marks if you don't do this. ("Therefore, I think the theme of appearance vs reality is much more important than the theme of nature, because the quote suggests...":wink:

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck on your upcoming exams. Sorry for the long post but I think it really helped me in my exams (I got an 8 in lit and 9 in lang after scoring 5s and 6s in class) and I'm not sure it's taught in schools.
~ Libby, year 12

A similar structure is taught in my school but i've heard the examboard (AQA) doesn't like students following a structure like this. Apparently they want the student to have a overall good essay without trying to force context or language analysis into each paragraph when it is not needed
Reply 4
I'very done every practice paper and specimen paper available for this new GCSE so I'm wondering if someone could provide me the questions and the extract they did last year in the summer in English literature. Don't worry as I said in my first post Iv'e already did my mocks I just want to improve my exam technique.
I do Macbeth, Frankenstein, Inspector Calls, Love and relationships poetry and obviously unseen poetry. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending