Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

No cheap insurance w/out black box watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BDunlop)
    Well I started a new policy this year, 18 now. I'm currently using smart wheels (esure I think) you'll save a bit of money if you drive well. Last year I used drivesmart and got like £200 back for good driving
    How much was it to start with then
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fighter365)
    After reading smart wheels reviews I can assure you I am very unlikely to use them

ReputationRep:
    After reading smart wheels reviews I can assure you I am very unlikely to use them
    They are pretty sensitive, I got a - 10 score for speed the other day when I must've gone like 34 by accident, but if you drive smooth and at reasonable times it doesn't really matter.. All black boxes are ******, it'll save you money at the end of the day which is 🗝

ReputationRep:
    Like £2k, a **** ton don't know why my parents funded it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BDunlop)
    They are pretty sensitive, I got a - 10 score for speed the other day when I must've gone like 34 by accident, but if you drive smooth and at reasonable times it doesn't really matter.. All black boxes are ******, it'll save you money at the end of the day which is 🗝
    It won’t if they end up cancelling my insurance for going at 33mph a couple of times and then I get no NCD

ReputationRep:
    It won’t if they end up cancelling my insurance for going at 33mph a couple of times and then I get no NCD
    Well i might have gone a bit faster I don't know b it 33 is fine. You're marked out of 30 speed is only out of +/-10..if you're not an awful driver you should get over 0 which is all you need

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm 17 and looking for car insurance quotes before I get a car. The cheapest I can get on any decent car (e.g. 1.2l corsa) is about £1900 with a *****y black box. I dont want a ****ing black box but the cheapest one without it is like £3600. Is these even ****ing legal. I know young drivers are dangerous but I'm just sat here like wtf, they're feeding on the people with the least income. I just think its so excessive. Even if I got a black box I know it would be **** anyway with the restricted mileage and bad driving scores everyone seems to get. I don't even live in a dodgey area, so I just don't get it. Read this then tell me how you expect me to get a black bloody box with confidence

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.morethan.com

Rant over.
    What you need to do is negotiate. Phone up the insurance companies and knock them down as much as you can. Then when they give you a quote phone up another company and if they give you a higher quote then say "Oh, never mind then as (insert previous company name) gave me a cheaper quote" this can result in them giving you a discount because they won't want to lose you to a competitor then keep on doing this with all companies until you get the cheapest quote you can possibly get.

Also, a friend of mine has blackbox insurance with More Than and he has also complained about them but I have a few other friends with blackbox with the likes of LV and Tesco and they haven't complained.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Unknown-99)
    What you need to do is negotiate. Phone up the insurance companies and knock them down as much as you can. Then when they give you a quote phone up another company and if they give you a higher quote then say "Oh, never mind then as (insert previous company name) gave me a cheaper quote" this can result in them giving you a discount because they won't want to lose you to a competitor then keep on doing this with all companies until you get the cheapest quote you can possibly get.

Also, a friend of mine has blackbox insurance with More Than and he has also complained about them but I have a few other friends with blackbox with the likes of LV and Tesco and they haven't complained.
    This doesn't really work for high risk policyholders - they won't budge far from the original quote. I agree that haggling can knock a small amount off, but a new policyholder has very little bargaining power, especially when they're so high risk.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.