The Student Room Group

Will my ear go back to normal

I got my cartilage piercing early august and it got infected withing a week although I was cleaning it but it badly swelled up so I went to the doctors the next day and they gave me antibiotics and they worked and got rid of the infection however my ear still hasn't gone completely back to its normal size and it's been nearly 3 months so I don't know what to do.
Original post by Samantharoyal
I got my cartilage piercing early august and it got infected withing a week although I was cleaning it but it badly swelled up so I went to the doctors the next day and they gave me antibiotics and they worked and got rid of the infection however my ear still hasn't gone completely back to its normal size and it's been nearly 3 months so I don't know what to do.

Has the swelling started to harden up?
Original post by Wilfred Little
Has the swelling started to harden up?

I think so but it feels bruised when i touch it to see
I think so but it feels bruised when i touch it to see

Need more information. Pics would probably help as well.

You say it's not gone back to normal size so I'm assuming there is still fluid in there? You need to go to your doctor ASAP. The reason I am saying this is because if you have damaged the cartilage and the skin has detached from it, you might have a cauliflower ear (common sports injury often seen in rugby players, boxers, MMA fighters). If you have that it needs to be drained as soon as possible and then the skin reattached to the cartilage. Did your doctor not say anything about this at the time?
Original post by Wilfred Little
Need more information. Pics would probably help as well.

You say it's not gone back to normal size so I'm assuming there is still fluid in there? You need to go to your doctor ASAP. The reason I am saying this is because if you have damaged the cartilage and the skin has detached from it, you might have a cauliflower ear (common sports injury often seen in rugby players, boxers, MMA fighters). If you have that it needs to be drained as soon as possible and then the skin reattached to the cartilage. Did your doctor not say anything about this at the time?

Ok I will thank you so much, but I can't go to the doctors for a couple of days so in the mean time would it help to just take out the piercing and let it heal
Ok I will thank you so much, but I can't go to the doctors for a couple of days so in the mean time would it help to just take out the piercing and let it heal

Would have thought you'd take the piercing out anyway?

After three months I would doubt that you will see much difference in terms of the swelling now. When you touch the swelling, does it feel firm in any way or does it feel like something you could drain with a syringe (by you I mean a qualified doctor)?

Can you book appointments online with your GP? I would recommend going ASAP. If you need any advice feel free to inbox me & I would also appreciate it if you kept this thread updated.

It could be scarring, complications from the infection, reaction the metal even. I'd leave it in for now and see a doctor ASAP. Taking it out at the wrong time can cause problems in itself, but a few more days in shouldn't do any harm as long as it's not getting worse. If you can see the piercer quicker, go to them too. Of course still see the doctor as they are not a medical expert, but they may be able to offer some advice in the meantime. Remember, if you aren't sure how to look after it in this state and who to see and how quickly, NHS 111 is a good shout too
Original post by chelseadagg3r
It could be scarring, complications from the infection, reaction the metal even. I'd leave it in for now and see a doctor ASAP. Taking it out at the wrong time can cause problems in itself, but a few more days in shouldn't do any harm as long as it's not getting worse. If you can see the piercer quicker, go to them too. Of course still see the doctor as they are not a medical expert, but they may be able to offer some advice in the meantime. Remember, if you aren't sure how to look after it in this state and who to see and how quickly, NHS 111 is a good shout too

Thank you i think I'll go to the doctors on Tuesday so I'll see what they say

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending