The Student Room Group

Hearing voices

I feel like I can hear my ex friends violating me and invalidating my own health issues and feelings, I can also hear screaming and people talking in my ears all the time. Do you think this could be ear wax or tinnitus or something bigger like a mental health problem?
Reply 1
People hear voices for lots of different reasons - not just mental illnesses but also as a result of trauma, for example. I'm not sure that ear wax or tinnitus could cause something like this though. Might be best to have a chat to your doctor to see what they think?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
People hear voices for lots of different reasons - not just mental illnesses but also as a result of trauma, for example. I'm not sure that ear wax or tinnitus could cause something like this though. Probably best to have a chat to your doctor.

I mean I don't hear it all the time, just in my room and that's upstairs and at night or when I am going to sleep. Sometimes it sounds like metal squeaking. I can't sleep much because of it and sleep at like 8am or 10am and wake up at 3 or 4pm.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I mean I don't hear it all the time, just in my room and that's upstairs and at night or when I am going to sleep. Sometimes it sounds like metal squeaking. I can't sleep much because of it and sleep at like 8am or 10am and wake up at 3 or 4pm.

Sounds like it must be very disruptive and frustrating. I would definitely suggest speaking to someone, even if it's just a friend or relative that you trust in the fist instance rather than a health professional.
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
People hear voices for lots of different reasons - not just mental illnesses but also as a result of trauma, for example. I'm not sure that ear wax or tinnitus could cause something like this though. Might be best to have a chat to your doctor to see what they think?

I am on and off amitriptyline and I am considering taking it again to help me sleep, it's also used to stabilise your mood and I was told before that if I come off them or break the tablet and have half it could cause mood changes and even make you feel suicidal. I haven't felt suicidal from coming off them without a doctor saying so though, it caused a load of things like heart palpitations when I was taking them but at least I went to sleep for 12 hours. I just felt like I died though, it wasn't normal sleep and when you wake up your head is really heavy and when your body gets used to it you don't sleep or feel drowsy anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest