The Student Room Group

Is Royal Mail a ****ING monopoly?

answer.
Reply 1
The only monopoly it has is delivering mail.

Never really had any problems with them. They provide government services and they are quite useful for getting and sending forms, like my application for my driving licence.
Certainly not if you count electronic mail
Reply 3
Parcel Force, Yodel, Hermes, DPD etc mean that technically it isn't a monopoly, but these are generally only used for parcel delivery (large items) and not small one off items of mail.
Yes, in economics terms it is a monopoly as it has 31.5% market share. However perhaps this is a situation where it's probably better that one company has a bit of dominance as it's very impractical otherwise.
I think you need to revisit the definition of a monopoly OP.

It certainly isn't, and is generally considered inferior to competitors in all but one of it's services - which is an increasingly less used service these days as well.

You might also want to revisit the concept of "not demanding people do your work for you" or "politely asking if you need clarification on an issue".
Original post by AlevelsMakeMeSui
answer.

Only really on letters and documents, they lost their official monopoly in 2006 however most competitiors cannot compete due to the massive infrastructure and economies of scale Royal Mail possess. However amazon and to a lesser extend ebay are challenging this by their own parcel delivery service with their own private delivery services. The decline of postal mail also means not very many companies wish to challenge Royal Mail as their is little profit incentive especially after the eventual price war with Royal Mail.
Either way they're only a monopoly power as they only control about 56% of the total Volume of letters & parcels in the UK.
Plus it doesn't matter, they're regulated by Ofcom to not abuse this.
Original post by artful_lounger
I think you need to revisit the definition of a monopoly OP.

It certainly isn't, and is generally considered inferior to competitors in all but one of it's services - which is an increasingly less used service these days as well.

You might also want to revisit the concept of "not demanding people do your work for you" or "politely asking if you need clarification on an issue".

1) I know the definition and I was confused as some sources I read said it was and others said otherwise.

2) No one is doing my work for me I was just stuck on the thought you bum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending