The Student Room Group

Do journalism degrees need to be accredited?

I have been looking at the international journalism degree at UCLAN but noticed it isn’t accredited by the NCTJ or BJTC. Does that mean employment prospects will be low?
I would really like to get a journalist job abroad. I am more interested in broadcast rather than print.
Thanks
Original post by Leila1997
I have been looking at the international journalism degree at UCLAN but noticed it isn’t accredited by the NCTJ or BJTC. Does that mean employment prospects will be low?
I would really like to get a journalist job abroad. I am more interested in broadcast rather than print.
Thanks

Hi @Leila1997

How come you specifically want to do International Journalism, is it the course content or just because you want to work abroad? :h:

I would say yes, that there is a chance employment prospects could be lower if a course is not NCTJ or BJTC accredited, but this doesn't mean you can't get the accreditation. You can gain the accreditation independently but you just have to pay for the exams yourself I think? That's what I was always told by my tutors when I studied Broadcast, but NTU has the accreditation so I never had to.

You could contact UCLAN and ask them if they have any support in place for students wishing to gain the accreditation?

Or alternatively, if you just want to work abroad as a journalist, you don't NEED an international journalism degree, a plain journalism degree would be enough. I assume the international part is sort of international relations based?

I hope this helps, let me know if you've got any more questions? :smile:

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep
Reply 2
Original post by Postgraduate study at NTU
Hi @Leila1997

How come you specifically want to do International Journalism, is it the course content or just because you want to work abroad? :h:

I would say yes, that there is a chance employment prospects could be lower if a course is not NCTJ or BJTC accredited, but this doesn't mean you can't get the accreditation. You can gain the accreditation independently but you just have to pay for the exams yourself I think? That's what I was always told by my tutors when I studied Broadcast, but NTU has the accreditation so I never had to.

You could contact UCLAN and ask them if they have any support in place for students wishing to gain the accreditation?

Or alternatively, if you just want to work abroad as a journalist, you don't NEED an international journalism degree, a plain journalism degree would be enough. I assume the international part is sort of international relations based?

I hope this helps, let me know if you've got any more questions? :smile:

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep

Thanks very much for your response.
I like the look of the international journalism degrees at both LJMU and UCLAN because they offer an optional summer work placement in Shanghai which I think would be a fantastic opportunity. I have also been looking at NTU and will probably be applying for the Broadcast Journalism course there and study abroad in my third year. What do you think of NTU? I am going to the open day there on the 2nd Dec. I want to find out more about Nottingham, the journalism facilities there and see the campus. But I have to send off my UCAS application at my college on 11th November so will have to decide before then.
Thank you!
Leila
Original post by Leila1997
Thanks very much for your response.
I like the look of the international journalism degrees at both LJMU and UCLAN because they offer an optional summer work placement in Shanghai which I think would be a fantastic opportunity. I have also been looking at NTU and will probably be applying for the Broadcast Journalism course there and study abroad in my third year. What do you think of NTU? I am going to the open day there on the 2nd Dec. I want to find out more about Nottingham, the journalism facilities there and see the campus. But I have to send off my UCAS application at my college on 11th November so will have to decide before then.
Thank you!
Leila

Hi @Leila1997

Oh wow I agree those placements sound great! Such a shame they're not accredited :frown:

Also great news you're thinking about NTU. Personally, I really love the city and the university I even stayed here for my masters after my undergraduate in Broadcast haha!

I'd definitely recommend coming to an open day, not just to find out about the course but I think it's important to see the campus and get an idea of whether you could see yourself studying here.

The quality of the teaching on the journalism courses is really high to be honest. With broadcast especially, there's a lot of practical work to do so you're always building on your filming, editing, writing and even presenting skills. Notts TV is based in the Centre for Broadcast Journalism (CBJ as everyone calls it) so there's even opportunities to work with them and get your own work out on a professional TV channel.

Plus, like I mentioned before, the course is accredited which goes a long way really. It means you don't have to take extra exams which you would have to pay for to gain a qualification you should really be getting if you're taking a journalism course.

About the studying abroad, I know there are some opportunities. I only know of one girl in my year who came from the US to study for the first term, but I guess the chance to study abroad depends on how proactive you are with it - which you are, so it's something worth discussing with lecturers. If you want, I can try and get you in contact with someone from the CBJ and see if they can shed anymore light on studying abroad?

Hope this helps, and let me know! :h:

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending