The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unis in Scotland have a fee of £1700, for Uk students!
Reply 2
yeah, you pay tuition fees.
Reply 3
English students will pay roughly £1700 (or more depending on the course), but it's over four years instead of three. It still works out cheaper though.
Reply 4
Afraid you have to be ordinarily resident in Scotland (ie, not just wandering up here for free education) to be exempt from tuition fees. It's a bit of a disgrace really, but not much to be done about it.

Scottish students still pay the graduate endowment though. So it's not like we're fee-free.
For how long must one have been residing in Scotland to get free tuition?
Reply 6
Victime de la mode
hi
i live in uk and am going to apply to some english and scottish unis.
if i chose a scottish uni would i get it at a reduced fee or no fees.
or would i have to pay the same as if it were an english uni due to being english
thanks x x x

You have to pay less fees than in UK, but you don't get it free cos in Scotlands brilliant plan to eradicate discrimination against non-scottish students they decided nobody in the EU should have to pay fees. Apart from England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Hmmmmmm.
Reply 7
bruisepristine
For how long must one have been residing in Scotland to get free tuition?

I think you have to be permanently resident in Scotland for three years prior to the start of your course, although I'm not entirely sure.
Reply 8
However if you do a course which is healthcare related, and eligible for NHS funding, you won't have tuition fees to pay and may be eligible for a bursary, and daily travel expenses to and from uni.

The minimum time you need to live in scotland for is 3 years, to be eligible for free tuition fees.
Reply 9
sozzberry
You have to pay less fees than in UK, but you don't get it free cos in Scotlands brilliant plan to eradicate discrimination against non-scottish students they decided nobody in the EU should have to pay fees. Apart from England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Hmmmmmm.

I thought people from N.I. didn't pay fees in Scotland?
Reply 10
sozzberry

Scotland didn't just 'decide'. It's a principle of EU law. It's also why EU students in England get charged home tuition fees, as opposed to crazy international ones.
Reply 11
suek
I thought people from N.I. didn't pay fees in Scotland?

Well you were mistaken.

emmings
Scotland didn't just 'decide'. It's a principle of EU law. It's also why EU students in England get charged home tuition fees, as opposed to crazy international ones.

Indeed it is.
Reply 12
L i b
Well you were mistaken.

Some other people on this forum are, too, then! It's here I read it and someone was advised to apply to Scotland because it's free!!
Reply 14
Students from Ireland (ie the southern part) may get free tuition, but not Northern Ireland . Not the people i know at my uni anyway! NI can get free tuition fees if its a healthcare course, where they can apply for the NHS funding, but they are treated the same as English and Welsh students for all other courses.
suek
Some other people on this forum are, too, then! It's here I read it and someone was advised to apply to Scotland because it's free!!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=10699146#post10699146

hmmm...
Reply 16
It was a different thread.. the one that's mentioned in that one there heh but I can't find it now :frown: Someone was all excited and said they'd put scottish unis as their choices as it'd be free or so ><
Reply 18
That person was wrong, unfortunately.

To get free fees you need to apply to SAAS, SAAS say they pay fees for non-UK EU students, and Scottish students. You can look through their website if you like, but nowhere does it mention NI students get free tuition except in the case of allied health professional courses, where english and welsh students get free tuition fees too.

http://www.saas.gov.uk/faqs_fees.htm#fees2

That person did correct themselves after that page though.
Reply 19
emmings

How come it's a principle of EU law to give students going to Scotland from the EU free fees, apart from England, Wales and Northern Ireland? Surely that makes no sense.

Latest

Trending

Trending