The Student Room Group

Getting into Uni with low grades

I haven’t been in the education system for a little while now, and never considered University because, not only was it not an affordable option but, I got passing but pretty low grades in my A-Levels.
What universities might accept someone with low grades that you can also study online with??
The OU doesn't have formal entry requirements and is all online distance learning (plus somewhat cheaper than brick unis for tuition fees) so might be a good option :smile:

Note though while you can get a tuition fee loan while studying at the OU, you usually can't get a maintenance loan (this is true of any distance learning course I believe).
Original post by bibliophiles
I haven’t been in the education system for a little while now, and never considered University because, not only was it not an affordable option but, I got passing but pretty low grades in my A-Levels.
What universities might accept someone with low grades that you can also study online with??

Depending on what you want to do you could get into most course that are 4 years as they are a foundation or you could do a 1 year course in a certificate of higher education which will give you a level 4 and could be used to apply only a different course after completion
Reply 3
Look at a 1-year Access to HE course - designed for people who have been out of education for a while and now want to go to Uni - Access to Higher Education (accesstohe.ac.uk)

Or.... many Uni have specific Foundation year courses - examples -
Foundation Years | Study at Bristol | University of Bristol
Degrees with a foundation year | Lifelong learning | The University of Sheffield
Original post by artful_lounger
The OU doesn't have formal entry requirements and is all online distance learning (plus somewhat cheaper than brick unis for tuition fees) so might be a good option :smile:

Note though while you can get a tuition fee loan while studying at the OU, you usually can't get a maintenance loan (this is true of any distance learning course I believe).

I study with the OU, and if you live in England, you’re not eligible for a maintenance loan (if you have a disability, then you’d of course be eligible for DSA providing you provide evidence). I know with Wales you can get a maintenance loan, can’t remember if you’re able to get maintenance if you’re in Scotland or Ireland - it’s something OP would need to look into if they’re based in Scotland or Ireland
Original post by ohhello92x
I study with the OU, and if you live in England, you’re not eligible for a maintenance loan (if you have a disability, then you’d of course be eligible for DSA providing you provide evidence). I know with Wales you can get a maintenance loan, can’t remember if you’re able to get maintenance if you’re in Scotland or Ireland - it’s something OP would need to look into if they’re based in Scotland or Ireland

Ah interesting -didn't know it was different for England!

Ah interesting -didn't know it was different for England!

I didn’t know until I was in the process of applying for SFE funding and was like oh :/. However you are allowed to claim money back from the uni for buying a laptop/computer and stationary stuff which isn’t huge but it’s something
Original post by ohhello92x
I didn’t know until I was in the process of applying for SFE funding and was like oh :/. However you are allowed to claim money back from the uni for buying a laptop/computer and stationary stuff which isn’t huge but it’s something

I do remember seeing that - I think also in certain cases they might reimburse some costs of an Internet connection? I never ended up trying to claim anything in that vein from them when I wad with the OU (I wad working at a university at the time and the amount if stationery that would get put out with a "free to take" sign meant I didn't have to pay for paper or folders or anything for like a year after I stopped :wink:)
(edited 3 months ago)

I do remember seeing that - I think also in certain cases they might reimburse some costs of an Internet connection? I never ended up trying to claim anything in that vein from them when I wad with the OU (I wad working at a university at the time and the amount if stationery that would get put out with a "free to take" sign meant I didn't have to pay for paper or folders or anything for like a year after I stopped :wink:)

I vaguely remember seeing that. Fair enough
Reply 9
Thank you all for your help so far!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending