The Student Room Group

How to get up in the morning when it's freezing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You don't.
Reply 21
The only way I tackle getting up in the morning is as soon as my alarm goes off, I stand up and head straight to the shower. It depends on the individual but generally the more you think about how cold it is when you wake up, the harder it is to actually get up and it makes you want to stay in your warm, cosy and soft bed even more 😭
Open your curtains and put on a dressing gown as soon as you get out of bed (to walk across the room to turn off your very loud, very annoying alarm). Clean your teeth straight away - I always find this makes me feel more awake :smile:
alarm would not work for me
Original post by uberteknik
Turn your radiator on.

Cold is a state of mind.

Cold is a state of physics. It's why some things can be hard, wet or gassy. Take water for example. Its hard when its really cold, wet when its not and gassy/cloudy when its hot.

Not saying OP gets hard when he's cold. Quite the opposite given that he is asking how he can get up when its cold in the morning, a time when many guys are already up.
Original post by Laomedeia
Cold is a state of physics.
Nope. Cold is a reference statement, which is also subjective when referenced against an individuals tolerance and determination of comfort or discomfort, which are themselves subjective terms.

20 Kelvin is subjectively warmer than 3 Kelvin. Both are colder than 273 Kelvin.

The OP no doubt would feel 280 Kelvin is freezing whilst Siberian folks may consider that a heat wave.
I'm weird and I like waking up a few hours before I have to properly get up so I'll often set an alarm for 4am, get up and turn the heating on/put fluffy socks on then when I get up at 6.45 it's super warm. Then once I've jumped in the shower I generally feel ok.
Original post by Laomedeia
Cold is a state of physics. It's why some things can be hard, wet or gassy. Take water for example. Its hard when its really cold, wet when its not and gassy/cloudy when its hot.

Not saying OP gets hard when he's cold. Quite the opposite given that he is asking how he can get up when its cold in the morning, a time when many guys are already up.

I am a girl :banana:
No idea, currently finding it pretty difficult myself. leave my warm bed to willingly go into the cold? what craziness!
I sit bolt upright for about 5/10 mins to adjust to the cold before I dress and leave
Reply 30
The house I lived in when I was of school age was often very cold in the mornings. When I really didn't want to get up into the cold, I would just pull my clothes under the duvet and get dressed without leaving the bed.
its a bit weird but in the mornings i used to use a hairdryer to warm me up and when i was getting changed i would warm up my uniform with a hair dryer also to keep me warm.
Reply 32
A sense of purpose/necessity helps.
:angry: i hate weak up early morg especially in the winter weather
My parents had the 3 stages of waking me up.

1) shake my foot and tell me to wake up.
2) if that didn't work then my father would get get a cup of cold water and flick some on my face.
3) failing that I would then get the whole cup of cold water on my face from my father. I would wake up then.

Of course, there was once a secret option 4. Out of spite I stayed in bed after he poured cold water on me and he proceeded to drag me by the ankle out of bed. Moral of the story: don' mess with my dad lol. Now where was I...?
Reply 35
Original post by Jackieox
Some things that I find helps me:

-I keep a pair of fluffy socks by my bed so I put them on before I get up so my feet don't get cold as i'm walking around
-If the radiator doesn't work get a small portable heater and keep it close to your bed so you can flick it on in the morning
-Put on a fluffy dressing gown
-Thick warm pjs

Agreed, I do all of these too!
I've always struggled with this! And I've never quite found a solution. Now I'm in my own house, I can set the heating to come on earlier which I will certainly be doing. :ninja:

Original post by math42
The house I lived in when I was of school age was often very cold in the mornings. When I really didn't want to get up into the cold, I would just pull my clothes under the duvet and get dressed without leaving the bed.

This gave me a giggle.
Waking up in the morning when it's freezing cold wakes me up, and makes me feel more energetic.

Quick Reply

Latest