The Student Room Group

Cambridge Philosophy Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
OK I won't give details, but it was weird, wasn't it? I wrote about moral philosophy, but others wrote about epistemology. I didn't really understand how they managed to interpret the question as an epistemological one, but maybe it was me that misunderstood it. I was sooo annoyed with the logic qestions...the last ones were really hard, and I didn't leave enough time to do them so I had to guess. Grrrr. How did you find it?
Reply 21
Not me, no. I was afraid I was coming across as overly traditional/posh/private school-ish, because of my suit and my apparently posh English (I'm Dutch), so when I got some questions on Bush I hope my left-winged-ness came forward enough. They even asked me if I was pushed into applying.. What kind of question is that?!

On the test: Epistemological? :s Wtf. I wrote on Deontology and Teleology. About Kant and JS Mill, and Bentham's hedonistic calculus. And then I wrote about my own opinion, which was still slightly different. I'm not so sure about some things I said though. First of all, I said deontologism instead deontology. But hey, I'm international. And secondly, I somehow managed to involve Supernanny into the situation. Don't ask me how; it probably looked ridiculous.

And the questions were HARD. I got stuck on one somewhere in the beginning, something with Arsenal supporters and Londoners? I don't know. And the last one, about vowels, I'm sure I did that one wrong. Because I didn't know what vowels were. Lol.
Reply 22
NickkO

I wrote on Deontology and Teleology. About Kant and JS Mill, and Bentham's hedonistic calculus. And then I wrote about my own opinion, which was still slightly different. I'm not so sure about some things I said though.QUOTE]

Yeh this is pretty much the same as me. Phew...at least I know I didn't write something TOTALLY ridiclous!
Reply 23
Amzzzz
No i didnt! I had 'if Jones makes a promise to Smith, is he obliged to keep that promise?'...in a simplified version. I did have determinism/fatalismy type questions in the form of ethical 'what would you do?' situations...like should you save the 5 people or the single person or should you let nature take its course etc...is that the kind of thing you had??

No mine was basically trying to get me to find the flaw in the argument that everything there is no point in doing anything since it's not going to affect the outcome
Reply 24
Yeah, but still. It shouldn't be a standard work. You've seen the History Boys, lol. I was satisfied with my final sentence though, it was catchy.

Anyway, I reckon being pooled for Philosophy gives you quite a large chance, as Philosophy isn't as competitive as other courses. There are colleges that don't give out ANY Phil offers in a year, and make do with poolees only.

Wat did you think of the other Phil applicants? I found out lots were interested in Philosophy/Mathematics, or Phil of linguistics (Wittgenstein). I felt kind of like the odd one out, my main philosophers being Nietzsche, Machiavelli and Rousseau..
Best of luck fellow poolies; we've all done well to get this far. :smile:
Reply 26
NickkO
Wat did you think of the other Phil applicants? I found out lots were interested in Philosophy/Mathematics, or Phil of linguistics (Wittgenstein). I felt kind of like the odd one out, my main philosophers being Nietzsche, Machiavelli and Rousseau..

Yeah, I found that, too. I got the feeling that the course is quite mathsy and logic based (I guess it's just the analytic tradition!)...
Hi everyone!
Just thought I'd say hey as I'm a philosopher and I'm already at Cam. There's a lot of us on here actually and we'd all be more than happy to answer any of your questions. I'm also your Undergraduate Rep, so its my job to answer them!

Couple of things though: "Philosophy isn't as competitive as other courses." That's a big fat lie (:wink:) as it is on of the most competitive courses (last year it was 2nd, after Architecture) as there are so few places and it is increasingly popular.

You have all done really well to get into the pool as well, I was told that there was a really strong group this year - so it really is an achievement!

Yes Dr Oliver is uber cool, and very into logic, he was on sabbatical last term so the other one was DoSing for Caius I believe. A lot of colleges don't have their own DoS with it being such a small subject, so that's why Arif was interviewing for multiple colleges.

Anyway, good luck to everyone still swimming!!

Nina xx
Reply 28
I'm very sceptical of all the applicants saying that they're into mathematical philosophy or wittgenstein. I'm studying Wittgenstein (The Tractatus, the shorter of his two major works) in my third year and struggling immensely. In order to understand it you need a basic knowledge of both Frege and Russell. I just don't believe that many (if any) of the applicants have read any Wittgenstein and understood it.

Oh, and don't worry about the supernanny reference. One of the joys of philosophy is the bizarre examples you can find (and sometimes need to find) to demonstrate things. Anyway, supernanny is excellent.

PS: On 'The History Boys': that film has probably done a lot of damage to work by the Access people. It's a great film, but all the ideas it has about application are a little out of date. Actually maybe that's what the applicants meant when they were talking of Wittgenstein: They know "The world is everything that is the case." and "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent" and think they understand. I don't understand, but at least I know that I don't understand.

PPS: Hi! I'm also (along with Nina) a current student, btw, if you hadn't picked that one up yet. :smile:
Reply 29
Hello both of you, I've spoken to you before a while ago when I wasn't sure of what to study. :smile:

I wasn't really serious on the History Boys comment though, lol. We did Wittgenstein and Russell etc in school. What I find weird is how the Tractatus is seen as the Bible of positivism, when even Wittgenstein himself admits he was wrong in Wittgenstein II. :s-smilie: But it's just not my thing; epistomology, philosophy of science. Of course it's relevant, but I always relate what I study in phil to myself (which I think everyone should). But when I relate epistomology and solipsism to myself, I go absolutely mad.. I've had moments when I completely freaked out ("OMG OMG WHAT IF ITS ALL A DREAM").

I do have a question for Nina, the undergrad rep (or coldfish, of course), that I forgot to ask in my General interview. I was wondering whether you could take papers in other subjects if you want to, either officially or not? I'd like to strengthen the political part of the course with some lectures in SPS. If I get in. If.
Hi Nickko,

No you can't steal papers from SPS I'm afraid. I was annoyed about this aswell (I applied for Philosophy and Politics everywhere else, and wanted to do this here), but you can do two Political Philosophy papers. They are trying to sort out nicking papers from SPS, but i don't think its going to happen anytime soon, especially as we are currently in the process of reforming the Tripos (don't worry - it wont affect you!) There are a couple of papers that are borrowed from other subjects, mainly Classics, but also the option of doing 'Experimental Psychology' which is borrowed from NatSci.

Hope that helps!
I forgot to say that you can, however, attend whatever lectures you want within the university. So you can go and listen and be interested regardless! Philosophy is generally quite keen to recommend this, particularly with SPS if you are doing the relevant papers.
Reply 32
Oh, too bad. I might seriously consider swapping Tripos though after part I if I feel my political needs have not been satisfied enough. :tongue: I applied for Phil and Pol everywhere else as well - check my spoiler. Anyway, I could always join the Cambridge Club (that's what it's called right) or some political society.

What societies are you part of? Any quirky ones like Assassins' Guild? I'd join them. :biggrin:
I've never heard of the 'Cambridge Club', do you mean the Union? That's probably your best place tbh. I cant do too many societies coz i have ME, so i mainly do daytime things like being on a hundred committees for different things. :biggrin: It's fun though.
Anyway, I shall stop hijacking this thread unless people have questions or anything! I'm sure the other students will pop in here to say hi at some point too.
Reply 34
Not only are you free to attend any lectures you like, but some SPS lectures are recommended for our political philosophy course in Part II. Some of -our- lectures are recommended for history and politics papers.
Also don't forget that you'll gain new interests whilst you're here! I'm a weird one in that I can't decide if I'm more interested in ethics and political philosophy or else philosophy of mind and metaphysics. And I wish I knew more about philosophy of science. And yet my best performances in exams have been in logic. And I need to have a clue about what Wittgenstein was on about. So much to study, so little time.*
Reply 35
Hey poolies! Ive had a call from Newnham this morning asking me to go for an interview on Thursday!!! So don't lose hope!

Does anyone know anything about Dr Sophia Connell?? Any help would be massivcely appreciated... I know nothing about Newnham or her!
Reply 36
Just got rejected, so no Phil at Cam for me. Good luck with your studies everyone else!
Reply 37
:frown: im sorry NickkO. Will you reapply next year or go somewhere else?
Reply 38
Amzzzz
Hey poolies! Ive had a call from Newnham this morning asking me to go for an interview on Thursday!!! So don't lose hope!

Does anyone know anything about Dr Sophia Connell?? Any help would be massivcely appreciated... I know nothing about Newnham or her!

She interviewed me. This really doesn't look very good for Newnham taking me back!
Reply 39
Amzzzz

Congratulations! How do you feel about the girls college bit? I've just got an offer for philosophy at Newnham through the pool and while of course I am delighted, I can't say it's somewhere I had ever considered or am particularly able to picture myself. Let me know what it's like after interview!!! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending