The Student Room Group

Need some advice about what to do after a horrible post sixth form experience.

So I'm currently 19 and have spent the last two years at sixth form where to be honest, I became a bit resistant to the norm of getting an education and going to university, but the thing is a few months after results day I completely changed my mind about going to university and now want to go and study criminology as I previously studied sociology and really enjoyed that part of the course. The problem I have is that I only have 2 A-levels alongside one AS-Level which was Media studies and I can't exactly go back and do the second part of the course I fear, because it is now November. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice,I have considered online A-level courses but I'm not sure, I do know that if I get the chance to study an A-level or two again I will work my butt off.
Reply 1
Hi

I'm no expert in this sector but if you can't get in on a full BSc Degree course in Criminology due to not having the initial required entry points you have two options:-

1. Do another year of A levels/ resits or whatever is required to get the three A level or equivalent
2. Apply to a University that will offer you a foundation year in Criminology

Based on your comments and assuming that you will indeed work hard to exceed as you say, my best advice would be to go for a foundation year. At least that way you gain further insight into the course, you will know for sure after that year that you like Criminology and you are on your way to the degree!

A quick review on Guardian tells me that the top Universities for Criminology (according to Guardian) are:-
https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2016/may/23/university-guide-2017-league-table-for-criminology

At the Top Swansea, I'm not sure offers a foundation year option but I would research each one going down the list and apply to two or three of them.

As you are aware most would want three A levels to get straight on a BSc Degree course with typical offer for Swansea being AAB but for those that support foundation years, you could get you in with your one A level For example:-

Bristol
http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/M90F/criminology-with-foundation-year

Also Chester and Derby I beliieve also offer Criminology with foundation year, so you could apply to say Chester, Derby and Bristol
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks for the advice, I also appreciate the research you did it's been a big help, I'll definitely take everything into account when making my decision, now it's just a matter of going through everything until I come up with the best decision I think, I'll have to be quick though.

Quick Reply

Latest