The Student Room Group

A-levels - Uni or Service?

Hi so I know it's a bit in advance to be talking about university and all of that (I'm year 11) but what I'm doing in sixth form will alter what I'm picking.

I want to be a paramedic in the future and I've been looking at which route to take for a while now and I still don't know whether to take the "traditional" uni route for para science or to go through my local ambulance service. They both have their pros and cons like uni is obviously the more academic option but it comes at a cost of like 27k whereas a service (LAS, NWAS, WMAS) for example would take you in as a student and teach you on the job (+ you get paid unlike uni placement).
However back to my initial point, i need some help of picking a route because a few paramedics have said do the service route as it pays and you dont really need bio and all that at A-level whereas the uni route wants Bio maybe Chem and other related subjects.

Thanks to anyone who can help if you understand what im saying! 😅
Reply 1
Hey! It's good to be thinking about your options for after sixth form, because you need to choose your A Levels based on that I guess.

It's really what you think would be best for you. The Uni route is an experience in itself, whereas you'll probably miss out on that if you go down the service route. Then again, going down the service route means you'll have no student debt (I think?) and you'll get paid, and have more years experience under your belt by the time you're 21.

My advice is if you want to keep your option open is to at least do Biology A Level (If you enjoy it!) so if you decide to change your mind, then both options are still available to you.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by dbhc2411
Hey! It's good to be thinking about your options for after sixth form, because you need to choose your A Levels based on that I guess.

It's really what you think would be best for you. The Uni route is an experience in itself, whereas you'll probably miss out on that if you go down the service route. Then again, going down the service route means you'll have no student debt (I think?) and you'll get paid, and have more years experience under your belt by the time you're 21.

My advice is if you want to keep your option open is to at least do Biology A Level (If you enjoy it!) so if you decide to change your mind, then both options are still available to you.

Good luck!

Yeah i was thinking about the uni experience but i mean if i want to be more hands on i think that the service route may be better as you are basically on placement the whole time, you are allowed to drive ambulances unlike people from uni placements, there's a guaranteed job at the end and all in all, it just feels better but i dont know...

Quick Reply

Latest