Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Balancing the creative and the academics of a-level Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

So i'm not a complete stranger: My name is Eve, i love creative writing (and am determined to write a book one day), art, staying in on Friday nights, spending time with my friends, the colour yellow and vigorous overthinking!

This seems like a very daunting thing for me to do, always worried to put myself out there but it's my last year of formal education as i'm in year 13 and wanted to document my experience as something to (hopefully) look fondly back on.

I decided to start this blog to uncover some of the joys and struggles of balancing creative subjects with my academic subjects. Give my personal approach to dealing with this workload and the ways in which i'll be tackling revision, coursework and exams.

I am studying English Literature, Philosophy and Ethics and Art textiles and did Geography as an AS. Throughout school, I had always steered towards English as this was my strongest subject and one i related to most; but in the last two years, during my A-level time I have fallen in love with Art and textiles. While this is exciting, it's also very daunting, abandoning something i always thought i'd purse for a new found love and this is definitely something i'd really like to talk about in this blog to help anyone conflicted in their choices or anyone who's interested.

Regardless of grades i'm not going to university next year, but doing an art foundation course instead. I think (hope) this will help me confirm that textiles is what i really want to do and if i end up deciding it isn't anymore, i don't see it as a year wasted as i'd always regret not knowing if i didn't do it. From there i'm not sure which university i'd like to study at or which specific course, hence the year out to gain experience and decide!

I hope this will help anybody, especially the anxious among us as this is another element of school and daily life i struggle with and this will hopefully act as a little breather. Sorry for the essay, congratulations to anybody who made it all the way through! I shall end with a few photographs of the start of my textile project entitled 'anatomy' to let you into some of my creative world and also a photo of my new pupper Ted, enjoy!

some background info...

GCSE's
    Spoiler:
    Show

English Literature - A*
    English Language - A*
    Maths - B
    Double Science award - A*A*
    Textiles - A
    Philosophy and Ethics - A*
    Geography - A
    Spanish - B
    ICT - A*

A-levels (predicted)
    Spoiler:
    Show

English Literature - A*
    Art textiles - A*
    Philosophy and Ethics - A

AS
    Spoiler:
    Show

Geography - A

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Tidy Space, Tidy Mind! - getting organised

Hello again!

It was at approximately 11:30 last night having just completed my first blog entry that i decided it. Right. If i'm going to take this thing seriously I've got to get my act together. There's only one place to start...

For my birthday this year i asked for art supplies, art supplies and more art supplies. This was the first time i was taking it seriously and if i was going to dive straight in i needed the equipment to go with it. Alas! July came around and i was drowning in paints, crayons and fabrics and while this was amazing there was nowhere for it to live. It all ended up in a chest at the bottom of my bed jumbled and disorganized and it drove me crazy.

So last night i begged my mum to let me have a fairly vacant shelving unit relocated to my room and she agreed! What followed was an hour and a half reshuffle of materials accompanied by The Jackson 5 on loop!:banana: It was a long job but i'm so happy with how it turned out!

I just wanted to share to show the importance of keeping organized, i genuinely feel so much more on top of things again and it's really motivated to keep up all the work, including this blog!

I'll leave some pictures of my new set up for anyone looking for a little organization inspiration

Happy organizing! Bye for now!
    Eve
    :bunny:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Awww Ted is so cuute! And damn I wish I could be as organised as that, My work is just in a massive pile I have to treck through. Loving the blog (especially the font, Courier New has a soft space in my heart) , I'll be sure to watch!

ReputationRep:
    Starting with the spec

Good evening!

Today was such a productive day for me, and i actually did some work out of school hours at home which is very unusual for me. i tend to get my work done in my free periods at school so i can relax at home but today i felt super motivated so started some revision

Aim: compile all the specifications for my Philosophy, ethics and belief exam (this may seem like a simple task but the subject will be the death of me)
    What i did: so as well as finding the specification itself (edexcel for anybody wondering) i decided that due to the sheer volume of content, i needed it to be clear on one document in front of me. So I've begun to lay out each element of the specification and leave a space next to it to fill with the relevant information. Again, sounds easy...it's nearly impossible. Once i'd completed one element i transferred these to flash cards as i went along as a way of testing myself
    Success?: so far so good! as i say, this subject is extremely content heavy but i think this is a good way to pick and choose the best notes i have to keep it relevant. This is something new i'm trying out; my general revision style is mind maps so once i have this document sorted i'll transfer these notes into a mind map, which i will exemplify further down the line as this is my favorite revision technique

If anybody else is doing the new edexcel course for philosophy and ethics please let me know how you're finding it. It's really interesting but i can't even believe it's one a-level it is so content heavy, especially the new belief element they added (of which our school chose Buddhism)

I'll keep you updated on whether this technique works in the long run and i'll leave some pictures to show you what i mean

Hope everyone's had a good day! See you soon,
    Eve:bunny:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    awww yayyy !!! :yay::happy2::grin: seeing you so organised and sorting everything out gives me the motivation to do the same!!! keep it up so far your blog looks amazing!!!

ReputationRep:
    Awh thank you so much! i'm glad you're enjoying it and found it helpful :laugh::laugh:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.