The Student Room Group

What to check on a 06 reg Ford Ka

I had a lovely, reliable, low-mileage 2006 Ford Ka up until a few weeks ago when coach decided to reverse into it.

I'm looking for a replacement and currently looking on ebay (garages only) for others. Have come across this one which looks like a gem -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-KA-1-3-2006-GENUINE-28-000-MILES-1-LADY-OWNER-FORD-BEAUTIFUL/263186790144?hash=item3d4727b700:g:redface:44AAOSw-0xYQVAY

However, I want to be a bit more cautious than I was in buying my first Ka - although I was very lucky, I know that I am at risk of running into problems with an old car and such low mileage (risk of the engine being a rust-bucket due to under-use or tampering with odometer).

What should I be looking for when I go to see this car (and drive it)? Anything obvious you can see wrong (or right!) from the photos on the ebay listing?

Thanks a bunch! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
The car looks fine from the photos, its exterior condition looks like it has only done 28k miles
In general, when you're looking in person you want to be looking to see whether the general wear and tear of the car is what you would expect from a car with its current mileage so seats in good condition, few cosmetic defects, how worn out the steering wheel and gear stick are, is the dash in good nick or covered in scratches and blemishes etc. If the interior looks worn out and the steering wheel/gear stick are worn smooth then that would raise some red flags in my book.
Driving wise, does it feel mechanically sound. You can compare roughly to how your old KA drove but it probably won't be exactly the same. Does it sound smooth idling, is it pulling to one side. Start it up and let it idle for a few minutes, then pull it forwards and check for oil leaks etc. I suppose the other thing you can do is ask to get the full registration or try and find it on the vehicles documentation then check it online. old cars with low mileage aren't unheard of but look at its mileage at each MOT and check if it is increasing in regular amounts. i.e. on a 56 plate car with 40k miles, Id expect roughly 4k miles a year at each MOT. If they won't give you the full registration though, Id consider that another red flag as they are trying to stop you from checking the cars history
I highly doubt a dealership would try and tamper with the odometer now considering a vehicles history is very easy to get hold of but you do need to put in a little bit of legwork
Checking for rust should be a priority, particularly around the wheel arches. Additionally cover the exhaust with your hand when the car revving and check to see if there is any leakage. Other than that, use common sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending