The Student Room Group

AAB Offer given but it's very strange?

I applied to Newcastle London Uni with an AABC in my A levels, A in French and Italian, B in Economics and C in Maths, Newcastle accepted me in and gave me a conditional offer (only 3 days after i sent my application) of AAB but stated that i had to get AAB with Maths and Economics included. Ffrom what i understand is that i have to get either an A in Maths or Economics and a B as well. What I dont understand is why they are asking me to get an A in either Maths or Eco as my predictions are B and C in those subjects, why are Italian and French not okay for them? Lastly i wanted to know if all the Uni's are gonna do the same thing to me. I applied to Liverpool, Dhuram, Glasgow and Westmister (Back up offer).

Please let me know!

Greg
Original post by Greghi
I applied to Newcastle London Uni with an AABC in my A levels, A in French and Italian, B in Economics and C in Maths, Newcastle accepted me in and gave me a conditional offer (only 3 days after i sent my application) of AAB but stated that i had to get AAB with Maths and Economics included. Ffrom what i understand is that i have to get either an A in Maths or Economics and a B as well. What I dont understand is why they are asking me to get an A in either Maths or Eco as my predictions are B and C in those subjects, why are Italian and French not okay for them? Lastly i wanted to know if all the Uni's are gonna do the same thing to me. I applied to Liverpool, Dhuram, Glasgow and Westmister (Back up offer).

Please let me know!

Greg

Maths and Economics are far more relevant to your course than Italian or French. They think that if somebody can't get an A and a B in Maths and Economics, they won't cope with the course. An A (or even A*) in an unrelated third subject won't change that.
Are you applying for something related to economics or maths? If so that is why. If not, I am guessing that you are either French/Italian and so it should be easier for you to get good grades in those subjects. As for the others, they may well do, if there are any subjects specified in the entry requiremenst, then probably in those subjects you will need an A.
Reply 3
Original post by TheMindGarage
Maths and Economics are far more relevant to your course than Italian or French. They think that if somebody can't get an A and a B in Maths and Economics, they won't cope with the course. An A (or even A*) in an unrelated third subject won't change that.

Yes but in the entry requirements they say any 3 subjects, some people apply without even having maths or economics. Do you rekon all the uni's are gonna do the same?
Original post by Greghi
Yes but in the entry requirements they say any 3 subjects, some people apply without even having maths or economics. Do you rekon all the uni's are gonna do the same?

I don't think all of them will, but some might. Just because the entry requirements allow any subjects doesn't mean that they won't specify grades in the offer.
Reply 5
Original post by annanas45
Are you applying for something related to economics or maths? If so that is why. If not, I am guessing that you are either French/Italian and so it should be easier for you to get good grades in those subjects. As for the others, they may well do, if there are any subjects specified in the entry requiremenst, then probably in those subjects you will need an A.

I'm applying for Marketing but they say any 3 subjects are okay, and yeah I'm Italian
Original post by Greghi

Please let me know!

Greg

It’s well within a universities rights to make individual offers - This includes specifying an A or B in a subject that might not be a required subject for your course.

It may be a form of academic assurance for the university, you didn’t say which course you applied for - Maths/Economics May be more valuable for that course.

Other universities may do the same, they may not.

Quick Reply

Latest