The Student Room Group

Is there any chance of me getting into med school with a contextual offer?

I’m predicted AAB for A level but this might change with the next mock.
I’m eligible for a contextual offer and I’m in multiple acess courses that guarantee me a contextual offer of ABB-AAB that also fast track me for an interview.
I was just wondering if i would actually have a chance of receiving any offers as my future medics teacher told me I probably won’t, or if I should just apply to foundation medicine programs instead.
Why did your future medics teacher think you're unlikely to get offers?
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Why did your future medics teacher think you're unlikely to get offers?

She basically said I probably won’t be considered as highly as other applicants with higher grades
Original post by sciencedude_
She basically said I probably won’t be considered as highly as other applicants with higher grades

I suspect there's an element of cobblers to that, as otherwise the contextual and access course schemes would be pointless :smile:

@GANFYD might want to chip in here, but I suspect some unis might have a weighting towards stronger grades, but I don't think it would put you out of the running.
Reply 4

I suspect there's an element of cobblers to that, as otherwise the contextual and access course schemes would be pointless :smile:

@GANFYD might want to chip in here, but I suspect some unis might have a weighting towards stronger grades, but I don't think it would put you out of the running.

Ahh, okay thank you so much :smile:
I was honestly stressing a bit to be honest when she told me but i figured i should double-check because she has said some strange-ish stuff before about medicine applications
Reply 5

It is indeed cobblers.
Unless a med school specifically scores A levels as part of shortlisting (and only 5 do), then all you need to do is meet the minimum requirements - contextual in your case, so anywhere from BBB upwards. You will need to have the UCAT and/or GCSE score needed to be shortlisted (again, often lower for contextual applicants), but A levels just need to tick the relevant box.
Original post by GANFYD
It is indeed cobblers.
Unless a med school specifically scores A levels as part of shortlisting (and only 5 do), then all you need to do is meet the minimum requirements - contextual in your case, so anywhere from BBB upwards. You will need to have the UCAT and/or GCSE score needed to be shortlisted (again, often lower for contextual applicants), but A levels just need to tick the relevant box.

PRSOM

Thanks for clarfying regarding the numbers of unis that might take grades into account. I had an inkling it wasnt a huge amount but would not have guessed as few as five :smile:

With UCAT and interviews it makes sense that AL are more of a YES/NO tickbox than a lot of courses.
Reply 7
PRSOM

Thanks for clarfying regarding the numbers of unis that might take grades into account. I had an inkling it wasnt a huge amount but would not have guessed as few as five :smile:

With UCAT and interviews it makes sense that AL are more of a YES/NO tickbox than a lot of courses.

Some do need 2 AstarA (Cambs) as a minimum requirement, others just AAB predicted even without contextual consideration, but very few actually score them as part of shortlisting.
As I say every year, your knowledge of medicine admissions is amazing, given it is not your "area of exterise", so to speak (although you are pretty expert!)
Original post by GANFYD
Some do need 2 AstarA (Cambs) as a minimum requirement, others just AAB predicted even without contextual consideration, but very few actually score them as part of shortlisting.
As I say every year, your knowledge of medicine admissions is amazing, given it is not your "area of exterise", so to speak (although you are pretty expert!)

Ha! I think it may just appear that way as when I don't know the answer to something I keep quiet and follow th thread hoping that you answer :wink:

I've got a decent amount of experience in UG/PG admissions but med has only been a very small part of it so definitely not in my usual wheelhouse.
Reply 9
Ha! I think it may just appear that way as when I don't know the answer to something I keep quiet and follow th thread hoping that you answer :wink:

I've got a decent amount of experience in UG/PG admissions but med has only been a very small part of it so definitely not in my usual wheelhouse.

I can do med in my sleep and have picked up a bit of UCAS stuff along the way, but other than that, I have no idea whatsoever, so admire you guys spinning so many plates
Reply 10
Original post by GANFYD

I can do med in my sleep and have picked up a bit of UCAS stuff along the way, but other than that, I have no idea whatsoever, so admire you guys spinning so many plates

I’m so sorry I took so long to reply, but thank you for helping me out! :smile:
Reply 11

I’m so sorry I took so long to reply, but thank you for helping me out! :smile:
You didn't take long! Just ask if you have questions, seems like your teachers may not be up to speed on medicine admissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending