The Student Room Group

A Level option help

I’m thinking about medicine therefore chemistry is a must. Then I’m thinking that biology will probably tie in well with that and it is something I will enjoy also. I’m not against physics or maths however I’m not as confident in those subjects as I am in English and history which I am thinking about as I can’t imagine my self dropping them. I’m predicted (key word ‘predicted’ haha) all A*s in my GCSEs and have already achieved this in a few exams so it’s really just about what I want to take. My real question is: would I still be able to apply to a medical degree in prestigious universities if I took Biology, Chemistry, English literature and history? Thanks, M.
Reply 1
Original post by MonicaD
The subjects you wish to pick are totally fine. However, maths will help you tremendously for both Biology and Chemistry. If you are already aware of the universities that you want to apply to, you should check which subjects they want for the degree, as for some degrees they want students to take certain subjects. If a particular subject isn't required, then you can definitely stick with English literature and History as your 3rd and 4th option.

In A Level Chemistry the maths is very trivial.
Original post by meganlm
I’m thinking about medicine therefore chemistry is a must. Then I’m thinking that biology will probably tie in well with that and it is something I will enjoy also. I’m not against physics or maths however I’m not as confident in those subjects as I am in English and history which I am thinking about as I can’t imagine my self dropping them. I’m predicted (key word ‘predicted’ haha) all A*s in my GCSEs and have already achieved this in a few exams so it’s really just about what I want to take. My real question is: would I still be able to apply to a medical degree in prestigious universities if I took Biology, Chemistry, English literature and history? Thanks, M.

You’d be surprised at how many medicine courses require biology nowadays, so I would definitely do it. The other one can literally be anything, although admissions statistics show that for a lot of the top universities for medicine, most applicants offer 3 STEM a levels so do with that what you want.
Reply 3
You need to pick the subjects you'll do the best in, you'll need at least AAA for medicine. Chemistry and biology are both pretty much obligatory - there are a few medical schools that will accept chemistry and another science that isn't biology but I'm always left confused at why potential medics wouldn't want to study biology anyway.

As said above, English Lit and history are both viable options provided you'll do well in them, and they're both seen as "facilitating" and traditionally more academic subjects. As far as Maths goes, if you don't really like it and can't do well in it, I'd stay away. I do not take maths at A level and there is no maths in either chemistry or biology which is challenging above GCSE level, especially if you're expecting a good grade.

So yes, provided your other stats and qualities all suit a medical degree, English Lit and/or history will be fine alongside Chemistry and Biology.
Your choices will be fine for 99% of medical schools (if not all of them) majority only require chemistry and most need biology. You're free to take whatever other subject(s) you want (except general studies and critical thinking)! Pick the ones you enjoy and know you'll get good grades in as that's what matters most!

By the way don't worry about not taking maths for chemistry. I'm in year 13 now and never took maths at a level (hated it at gcse) and I got an A in my AS Level chemistry. There is a lot of maths but almost nothing beyond gcse maths. You get good at it through practice and honestly those in my chemistry class that also take maths are at the same level as everyone else!
Reply 5
I do quite enjoy maths, especially maths that is not overly wordy and lengthy, just maths that allows me to use numbers and theorems. I’ve just had a really bad experience with a teacher this year and it’s really put me off.

Quick Reply

Latest