The Student Room Group

PGCE Secondary Written Test Interview

Hello,

I have my first interview for a pgce secondary Geography course and I was hoping for some advice re the written test in the interview.

The university has outlined statements that QAA deem a geography graduate to be able to answer and advises I pick 3 of the statements - this is fine BUT in the written test do you get to choose your statements / topic to write about or is this given to you?

I'm trying to assess whether to practice my written answer before the interview or if the university will give me a comprehension question instead.....

I'm pretty nervous as its been over 2 years since I finished my degree studies so don't know if to refresh my studies or focus on building my ideal answer.

Any advice from fellow students experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply 1
They end up giving you something random on the day anyway. From my interview experiences, on the info pack they email you initially there's lots of stuff about interview questions and writing tasks etc but it ends up being very casual. The written task is literally just so they can see how your writing is, so even if it's not very subject specific, try to use some good connectives and phrases and make sure your spelling and grammar are correct.
It wouldn't hurt to look for some GCSE geography lesson plans online just to refresh your memory. You'll be surprised at how much you do know and how easy it is to learn GCSE stuff now compared to when we were actually doing them, it's just a matter of refreshing your memory.
They are only testing that you can string a basic sentence together. Teachers of all subjects are also teachers of literacy and maths amongst other things. If you can't write coherent English you can't teach.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending