The Student Room Group

Parents and "Lodge" Money

Parents who charge their offspring "lodge" money are pretending to be the government. I'm guessing it's because they are in pain because they are, in fact, NOT the government. Having zero power...it hurts people.

It's even worse when they charge as a percentage of income. It's clearly pretending to be the taxman. Yep.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dekuyper
Parents who charge their offspring "lodge" money are pretending to be the government. I'm guessing it's because they are in pain because they are, in fact, NOT the government. Having zero power...it hurts people.

It's even worse when they charge as a percentage of income. It's clearly pretending to be the taxman. Yep.

you need to investigate their computers

:yep:
Reply 2
well said.
I am a parent and I do not charge but I do not provide food. they must learn to cook and safe money or invest.
I had no problem paying board or lodgings. Considering what they they did for me and how much mess i made and food i ate, it seemed fair.
Reply 4

So move out. But you might find the real cost of "lodging" elsewhere is somewhat higher.
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
So move out. But you might find the real cost of "lodging" elsewhere is somewhat higher.

This is not about the financials. It is true that some things are more expensive than others, but the issue here with is that the parent is confusing their relationship with the child as being akin to a Monarch and his/her subject(s). It's actually sick, if you think about it.
Reply 6
This is not about the financials. It is true that some things are more expensive than others, but the issue here with is that the parent is confusing their relationship with the child as being akin to a Monarch and his/her subject(s). It's actually sick, if you think about it.

Or they are treating you as an adult and expecting you to finally start to pay your way after 18 years or so of "living off the state" (i.e. your parents' love, accommodation and money).
Reply 7
Original post by Guru Jason
I had no problem paying board or lodgings. Considering what they they did for me and how much mess i made and food i ate, it seemed fair.

Come on. Charging lodge?

It's your mother pretending she has another provider (read: husband/wife) and your father pretending that you work for him. I.e. the boss at work. OR, worse still, the Government taxing the people.
Come on. Charging lodge?

It's your mother pretending she has another provider (read: husband/wife) and your father pretending that you work for him. I.e. the boss at work. OR, worse still, the Government taxing the people.

No, before she passed away last year, she was a wheelchair bound disabled person. Tell me how me staying in her house rent free, eating her food, all on the measly allowance she got from the Tories would be beneficial. I paid because of the benefit I got. If I didn' have bills myself I'd have given most of my wages to her.
No. Once you turn 18, you should be paying your parents rent.

Why should a grown adult expect to have everything handed to them on a plate for free? It should be a case of cough up or you're out the door.
Reply 10
Original post by Guru Jason
No, before she passed away last year, she was a wheelchair bound disabled person. Tell me how me staying in her house rent free, eating her food, all on the measly allowance she got from the Tories would be beneficial. I paid because of the benefit I got. If I didn' have bills myself I'd have given most of my wages to her.

That's a different issue.
Reply 11
Original post by Dan Deplorable

Why should a grown adult expect to have everything handed to them on a plate for free? It should be a case of cough up or you're out the door.

Nope. You are talking here about entitlement and responsibility.
Parents who charge their kids rent are plebs who don't love them 😂😂😂
Reply 13
Nope. You are talking here about entitlement and responsibility.

Yes, if you mean the young adult's sense of entitlement and lack of responsibility.

Are your parents wealthy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SystemTalking
x.

I can tell you're a liberal - always have to bring race into it, don't you?

If they are using food their parents buy, water, electric etc, they should as they are adding to the monthly bills.
Reply 16
Original post by Jack22031994
If they are using food their parents buy, water, electric etc, they should as they are adding to the monthly bills.

Not necessarily. Relationships are more than just money. Also, for families/households that work together and for each other there may be an overall benefit for offspring not to pay lodge money. e.g. In the same way children U16 are not commonly expected to do so, or a househusband/wife naturally doesn't. It depends on the circumstances of the household and in a lot of situations I would say a more effective long-term plan would be not to charge.
Original post by RVNmax
Not necessarily. Relationships are more than just money. Also, for families/households that work together and for each other there may be an overall benefit for offspring not to pay lodge money. e.g. In the same way children U16 are not commonly expected to do so, or a househusband/wife naturally doesn't. It depends on the circumstances of the household and in a lot of situations I would say a more effective long-term plan would be not to charge.

No, if youre earning, whats the issue? Or at least some sort of contribution to the monthly bills that you are contributing to?

Ones who are earning and dont like it, are obvs just looking for a free ride imo. I'm so embarrassed by our generation at times.
That's a different issue.

Is it? You are saying it was wrong for my mum to charge me board/lodgings for using her food/utilities?
Reply 19
Original post by Dan Deplorable

Even if the parents have no problem affording bills and food? I think it would be inhumane.

This practice is only justifiable for extremely poor families. The rest should understand that working at a young age is detrimental to one's long-term prospects.

It's not a matter of having things "handed down for free". Family should be about sharing and helping each other: parents should help their children when students or unemployed, and the adult children should eventually help their old parents if they have difficulties of some kind (health or money related).

Quick Reply

Latest