The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Alexluis
Hello
Thanks Mark.

So, I couldn´t of had any infections related with my lungs?

< Regardless of whether or not it was full blown asthma, any repiratory issue is a big problem. You have no idea how you'll react when under pressure breathing, or when breathing 100% oxygen, or when struggling around with a respirator on. There are a lot of lung conditions which tend to suppress themselves as you grow up which will still cause you problems under 100% oxygen, asthma included. >

I see. Well My plan if I can´t get in the RAF as an officer pilot, is to take a commercial course.

Asthma or something similar won´t be a problem in the Commercial industry as a pilot will it?

Cheers
Alex L.

Hey Alex

I see you've made yourself known around here:smile: :wink:

Going for the commerical route is really hard and takes a lot of time and money to get onto the flight deck with the rank of a first officer. All airline pilots need a set of licenses and ratings that make up a ATPL or fATPL.

There are lots things you need to do and have to obtain a ATPL

1. Money (it costs 30k to 40k for modular and 80k-100k for integrated route)
2. Time (18 months for the integrated route and 2 to 3 years roughly for a modular)
3. Licenses (PPL, CPL, IR,)
4. Type Ratings (These are normally done when you have landed a job with a airline company and you have been type rated on a aircraft)
5. The will to stick with it no matter how awful it can get. Some sell houses and give up the fun stuff in life just to pay through flight training.
6. Class one medical

Methods of getting a ATPL

Modular- Doing all license and ratings one by one (cheapest and longest)

Integrated- OAA, CCAT, Cabair, FTE and CTC. All done in a flight school 18 months and you have a fATPL (Most expensive and shortest) However, you need good grades and need to stand out in selection. I've read somewhere that only 5% of applicant made it through the 4 selection phases at CTC wings.

So the next step is to get yourself a job with an airline. That's the hardest part of it all.

However, the main thing to is get to yourself to your local air field and have a trial lesson and start looking into obtaining a PPL which costs roughly £5000. This means getting 45 hours, JAA exams and a Class 2 medical. But because your still young you cannot get your PPL until your 17 years old.

If your determined to be an airline pilot go for it and you could be a first officer before your 21 years old.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=507997&in_page_id=1770

Hope this helps
Ric
Reply 81
Q_M
Yea officers never have stupid arguments....did you know they arn't even human?

Picking fights over the internet with little 15 year olds... bet you feel proud of yourself. Go get some fresh air, never off this thing.
Reply 82
djmarkmclachlan
Picking fights over the internet with little 15 year olds... bet you feel proud of yourself. Go get some fresh air, never off this thing.

Never off this thing? I've not been on the internet for a week lol.

Also, I am immensly proud. How do you feel about the fight your picking with the 18 year old? hmmmm
Reply 83
Hello Ric.
Thanks for your time.

<Going for the commerical route is really hard and takes a lot of time and money to get onto the flight deck with the rank of a first officer. All airline pilots need a set of licenses and ratings that make up a ATPL or fATPL.>
Yes I know. It is really ahrd though, but if you are motivated, and of course if you are eligible, you CAN do it. Just can go for it.

There are lots things you need to do and have to obtain a ATPL

<1. Money (it costs 30k to 40k for modular and 80k-100k for integrated route)
2. Time (18 months for the integrated route and 2 to 3 years roughly for a modular)
3. Licenses (PPL, CPL, IR,)
4. Type Ratings (These are normally done when you have landed a job with a airline company and you have been type rated on a aircraft)
5. The will to stick with it no matter how awful it can get. Some sell houses and give up the fun stuff in life just to pay through flight training.
6. Class one medical>
In Portugal it is alot cheaper.
It would cost around 35.000 pounds, and you would be prepared to apply to an airliner. (TAP or SATA)
These airliners, would give you the TYPE RATING.

<So the next step is to get yourself a job with an airline. That's the hardest part of it all.> Very true indeed.

<However, the main thing to is get to yourself to your local air field and have a trial lesson and start looking into obtaining a PPL which costs roughly £5000. This means getting 45 hours, JAA exams and a Class 2 medical. But because your still young you cannot get your PPL until your 17 years old.>

Yes.That is an option.Because here in Portugal, you can obtain directly a ATPL, and apply to an airpliner with just that course.

<If your determined to be an airline pilot go for it and you
could be a first officer before your 21 years old.>
I am determied to be an RAF Pilot, but just like I said, If I can´t, I will try to do a commercial course (ATPL).

<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=507997&in_page_id=1770>
Very interesting :wink:

<Hope this helps>
I really apreciated your time and the information.
Cheers Ric :smile:
Q_M
How do you feel about the fight your picking with the 18 year old? hmmmm

Ohh SNAP! :p:
Reply 85
Alexluis

<However, the main thing to is get to yourself to your local air field and have a trial lesson and start looking into obtaining a PPL which costs roughly £5000. This means getting 45 hours, JAA exams and a Class 2 medical. But because your still young you cannot get your PPL until your 17 years old.>

Yes.That is an option.Because here in Portugal, you can obtain directly a ATPL, and apply to an airpliner with just that course.

<If your determined to be an airline pilot go for it and you
could be a first officer before your 21 years old.>
I am determied to be an RAF Pilot, but just like I said, If I can´t, I will try to do a commercial course (ATPL).

Hey Alex,

Just to clear some points with your comments.

1. A ATPL is a set of ratings and licenses you need. The term ATPL is not a licence, it is a way to label airline pilot with the right set of licences and ratings. So, the PPL is the first step in your licences that you must get.

2. I know you want to be an RAF pilot but it looks very dark. You have an condition that may not affect you now but did in the past. The RAF want to top people and need them to work all conditions. Imagine flying a fast jet with breathing equipment and suddenely you have an asthma attack?
I know the RAF seems harsh on these conditions but it is for your own safety.

3. However, there is nothing stopping you being an airline pilot. But I suggest getting your PPL first because this is the first and only step to becoming a airline pilot.

Ric
Reply 86
Hello.

Oh sorry.
I mistunderstood.

But the the PPL (Private Pilot License), is integrated in the ATPL course.
At least in the Aviation schools I looked up at here in Portugal.

Thanks Ric :wink:

PS - Mark, don´t waste your precious time with people like him :smile:

Alex Luis
Reply 87
Alexluis
But the the PPL (Private Pilot License), is integrated in the ATPL course.
At least in the Aviation schools I looked up at here in Portugal.

Alex, I'm a bit confused by what you want. You're right that a PPL is a stepping stone to an ATPL. What you need is a PPL, then ATPL groundschool (14-odd exams), then get yourself a CPL, then qualify for at least a multi-engine instrument rating and complete a multi-crew co-operation course. That gives you a "frozen" ATPL, which "unfreezes" when you crack something like 1500hrs P1 in an appropriate class of jet. Someone else can tell you the exact number.

Now, as mentioned, it will cost you in the region of £50 000.

More importantly, as I hinted, you need to think about what you want. Flying a 737 is very very different to flying a Harrier; almost enough to be considered a completely different job. Being a military officer defines a career in the RAF much more than the raw act of flying. While a lot of people do end up working for airlines if they're unsuccessful with the RAF, there are a lot more people who fail pilot selection and end up in the military in another role.

What I'm trying to say is a job in the Navy or Army is a more closely related second choice to flying with the RAF. If you don't think that, and you dislike the idea of being a military officer and only have an interest in the flying, then you won't enjoy a lot of the aspects of the job.

It's not all sprinting down valleys in a Tornado, and even when it is, it's not necessarily that much fun.
Reply 88
Regarding asthma, it's not mentioned very often, but up to 75% of cases of "childhood asthma" or asthma-like conditions can reoccur in middle age, even if they improve through your teenage years. So anything related to this; asthma, narrowing of the bronchial passages, lung difficulties, whatever; if it was helped by the use of an inhaler or could in any way be considered "asthma-like" then there's a risk it'll come back. All the comments along the lines of "it went away" or "I've not used it since I was 10" or whatever are irrelevant; there's up to a 75% chance it'll all come back in some form just when you're becoming useful as you approach middle age.

Add to that the number of factors that can stimulate it (rapid decompression? Hypoxia? 100% oxygen breathing? Pressure breathing? Cold air through conditioning failure? Smoke and fumes? Panic due to an emergency?) in an aviation environment and it's a non-starter.

That said, you can still get a CAA class 1 medical with a history of asthma as long as you're 5 years clear and you don't suffer from any sort of wheezing. Any problems can restrict you to 2-crew ops.
Reply 89
Hello there.

What I said, is that here in Portugal, when you take a ATPL course, you do not need to have a PPL or a CPL.
You can apply to an airliner with just a ATPL course.

I want to have a career in the RAF as an Officer pilot.I do not just want to fly.I like military life, and want to help my country.

<It's not all sprinting down valleys in a Tornado, and even when it is, it's not necessarily that much fun.>

Of course not. A fast jet pilot role won´t be just fly.
Have many other things to do.

Alex
Reply 90
<Regarding asthma, it's not mentioned very often, but up to 75% of cases of "childhood asthma" or asthma-like conditions can reoccur in middle age, even if they improve through your teenage years. So anything related to this; asthma, narrowing of the bronchial passages, lung difficulties, whatever; if it was helped by the use of an inhaler or could in any way be considered "asthma-like" then there's a risk it'll come back. All the comments along the lines of "it went away" or "I've not used it since I was 10" or whatever are irrelevant; there's up to a 75% chance it'll all come back in some form just when you're becoming useful as you approach middle age. >
Yes, but I never really got asthma.
Lets face it!Who have never got any infections?
My doctor said: " If it does not return until you are 13/14 years olds.You are free.

<That said, you can still get a CAA class 1 medical with a history of asthma as long as you're 5 years clear and you don't suffer from any sort of wheezing. Any problems can restrict you to 2-crew ops.>
I never had it.
But still, if i had, I wouldn´t of had it for 14/15 years time.

Alex Luis
Reply 91
Alexluis
Yes, but I never really got asthma.
Lets face it!Who have never got any infections?
My doctor said: " If it does not return until you are 13/14 years olds.You are free.

This is a recurring problem with a lot of people who post about asthma. You had some sort of infection. Why did your doctor decide to pluck "asthma" out of thin air? If you had any similar symptoms, or were prescribed an inhaler, then you had a problem which, to any aviation medical professional, is effectively the same as asthma.

75% of childhood asthma reoccurs. I'm not a doctor, but I presume that there are a lot of bronchial infections with similar or comparable symptoms you can have in your childhood that won't return. But, do you remember all the symptoms? Do you remember what you were prescribed? Did you ask your doctor what would happen if you were rapidly decompressed from 25 000ft to 45 000ft and had to endure a massive drop in temperature and 2 minutes of pressure breathing 100% oxygen?

You may not have developed full-blown asthma, but my doctor never gave me an inhaler nor found reason to write "asthma" on my medical records. If yours did, I think you can assume it wasn't because you broke your leg, but because you had a problem with your lungs or breathing in some capacity.

Alexluis

You're not likely to get many replied from aviation professionals here, so bearing in mind that I have the job you're keen to get, and am trying to help you and give you some facts, I think you ought to at least try to thank me without the sarcastic smilie.
Wzz
Alex, I'm a bit confused by what you want. You're right that a PPL is a stepping stone to an ATPL. What you need is a PPL, then ATPL groundschool (14-odd exams), then get yourself a CPL, then qualify for at least a multi-engine instrument rating and complete a multi-crew co-operation course. That gives you a "frozen" ATPL, which "unfreezes" when you crack something like 1500hrs P1 in an appropriate class of jet. Someone else can tell you the exact number.

Now, as mentioned, it will cost you in the region of £50 000.

More importantly, as I hinted, you need to think about what you want. Flying a 737 is very very different to flying a Harrier; almost enough to be considered a completely different job. Being a military officer defines a career in the RAF much more than the raw act of flying. While a lot of people do end up working for airlines if they're unsuccessful with the RAF, there are a lot more people who fail pilot selection and end up in the military in another role.

What I'm trying to say is a job in the Navy or Army is a more closely related second choice to flying with the RAF. If you don't think that, and you dislike the idea of being a military officer and only have an interest in the flying, then you won't enjoy a lot of the aspects of the job.

It's not all sprinting down valleys in a Tornado, and even when it is, it's not necessarily that much fun.

Naw, I'm sure that is. :biggrin:
Reply 93
Alexluis
Hello there.

What I said, is that here in Portugal, when you take a ATPL course, you do not need to have a PPL or a CPL.
You can apply to an airliner with just a ATPL course.

Alex

Alex I think your confused. You need a PPL and a CPL to get a fATPL. Unless it is an intergrated flight school, were you need to pass selection first. You not need a PPL or CPL; it will be gain while training on the Integrated course.

Ric
Reply 94
Wzz
You may not have developed full-blown asthma, but my doctor never gave me an inhaler nor found reason to write "asthma" on my medical records. If yours did, I think you can assume it wasn't because you broke your leg, but because you had a problem with your lungs or breathing in some capacity.

Hahahaha. Think that's possibly the funniest thing you've ever posted on here Wzz! :cool:
Reply 95
Just on the point of asthma, I got prescribed an inhailer at the age of 14 by my GP even though I got 'excellent' on the peak expiratory flow rate (PEFR) test. My Dr's notes also say that my father was going to show me how to use my inhailer. My dad's never used an inhailer as far as I know and I have very little contact with him so I have no idea why that's on my record.

I took my 15 year old sister to the Dr's a few weeks ago because she was really run down with a cold. The Dr said right away it was asthma as her PEFR test was ok for her age. I objected to this because she was ill and the Dr then tried to diagonse her with pneumonia which I also disagreed with. She finally agreed to take a sample of what my sister was coughing up and it turns out it was an infection that required antibiotics to get rid of it.

Even though it was two different GP's that my sister and I saw, both of them were determined to diagonse us with asthma. That's worrying!
Reply 96
Hello

My intection was not to thank you with sarcastic smiles.
I just looked to the smiles and choose that one, because it was nica, I did not read the meaning of it.I am sorry WZZ.

I think I had some throat infections. Who haven´t got that before?

Thanks for the information :smile:

Alex L.
Reply 97
Hello Ric.

I already told you it was integrated in the ATPL course.

Here is the link for no more confusions:

http://www.nortavia.com/en/p203.html

With this ATPL, just like I just said in m previous posts you are able to apply and join an airliner. :smile:

Alex Luis
Reply 98
Alexluis
Hello Ric.

I already told you it was integrated in the ATPL course.

Here is the link for no more confusions:

http://www.nortavia.com/en/p203.html

With this ATPL, just like I just said in m previous posts you are able to apply and join an airliner. :smile:

Alex Luis

Right ok Alex. Say you finally reach the age of 18 when you are able to apply for this course and you don't get in because you didn't stand out from the rest of the crowd. Everyone is going to be 18 with top grades and a class one medical. And the person who got chosen was a guy or women who is currently working towards their PPL, because that shows that he/she didn't sat on their bum all day complaining about asthma.

Look, all I am trying to say is to get some hours flying or atleast have a trial lesson because lets say you do make it pass selection and you hate flying, it's highly unlikely but it could happen. If you can't afford to pay a lesson, get a part-time job for pay yourself through training. Another thing to take into account is the price; you did say it will cost £35k but what about living cost? exam re-sits? other stuff?

Ric
Reply 99
<Right ok Alex. Say you finally reach the age of 18 when you are able to apply for this course and you don't get in because you didn't stand out from the rest of the crowd. Everyone is going to be 18 with top grades and a class one medical. And the person who got chosen was a guy or women who is currently working towards their PPL, because that shows that he/she didn't sat on their bum all day complaining about asthma. >

Hey, I am not complaining about asthma.
I just asked some questions about it Ric.
The ATPL system is not equal to the UK one.
If an applicant to a ATPL which has a PPL, and another one that was nothing, both of them have the same probality of getting in, or not.

<Look, all I am trying to say is to get some hours flying or atleast have a trial lesson because lets say you do make it pass selection and you hate flying, it's highly unlikely but it could happen. If you can't afford to pay a lesson, get a part-time job for pay yourself through training. Another thing to take into account is the price; you did say it will cost £35k but what about living cost? exam re-sits? other stuff?>

I am not going to do a PPL.Yes, I have thinked to have a trial lesson.I will try to have on this summer.
Actually, I don´t even know If I am going to be rejected back in the RAF. Too soon yet Ric.

Cheers
Alex

Latest