The Student Room Group

Great Debate - Should You Feel Guilty About Killing Spiders, Ants or Other Bugs?

When you see a bug in your home, what do you do? Do you leave it alone? Do you kill it, or ask someone else to do the dirty work for you? Or do you ever try to catch it and set it free outside? Why do you make those choices? Should you feel guilty about killing spiders, ants or other bugs?

Scroll to see replies

You spare a spider who is going along minding its own business in the hope you'll be shown the same appreciation.

As with most other humans, when it comes to absolute scales, I'm influenced by cuteness. And I can't change or deny it.
Reply 2
I hate insects in the house and have several fly swatters dotted around. I would have no hesitation in killing flies, wasps, ants or spiders who don't have webs. If they spread germs or attack you then they are as good as dead if they come near me. Bees serve a purpose so I open the doors/windows and try to get them back out.
Original post by nutz99
I would have no hesitation in killing flies, wasps, ants or spiders who don't have webs.

To me, you're a rowdy spider. Prioritizing your own rights at the expense of the ecosystem.

Maybe I should just crush you?
Original post by knowyourrole
When you see a bug in your home, what do you do? Do you leave it alone? Do you kill it, or ask someone else to do the dirty work for you? Or do you ever try to catch it and set it free outside? Why do you make those choices? Should you feel guilty about killing spiders, ants or other bugs?

If I see a ladybird, butterfly, bee or something like that, I try to catch it and free it outside. If it is a spider I leave it alone or move it to a safer place because spiders are meant to be good little influences in a household.

The only time I kill a bug is when I or someone else have accidentally squashed it and it's half dead, just to put it out of its misery :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by SWCoffee
To me, you're a rowdy spider. Prioritizing your own rights at the expense of the ecosystem.

Maybe I should just crush you?

Karma would be if you got stung by a wasp or bitten by a spider or got salmonella from eating food infected by a fly. Or you could simply stay in la la land and pretend none of this ever happens.
If it's not paying the rent, it can get out.
If I turn my back and it goes Houdini on me then there's going to be problems.
When you see a bug in your home, what do you do?

I let it out.

Why do you make those choices?

There is no point in killing them. They have their job to do, and maybe my life is not much more justified than their's so I respect them as much as sensible.

Should you feel guilty about killing spiders, ants or other bugs?

They don't live as much as we do, they maybe don't even have awarness, but still they are living things who have their job to be done.
If it doesn't take unreasonable effort, I pay attention as much as possible not to kill anything and I help them If I see they are in trouble. Especially if they have trouble because of sume human's creation. We're already affecting natural environment too much, so if some bug gets trapped because of window or glass, I help it out.

Interestingly, in old-Slavic culture spiders were cosidered as home-protectors. There was also a very old tradition in Eastern Europe (hundreds of years if not more) to let spiders live in houses apart from this old belief, because spider's web was commonly used as a cure for open wounds. It really worked, because, as it turns out, it contains penicillin.
(edited 6 years ago)
I feel very guilty if I kill an insect of any kind, and wouldn't do intentionally despite being terrified of most of them. Luckily for me I have a dog who loves chasing, catching and playing with all things crawly or buzzy. They don't tend to play back much afterwards though...
Reply 9
My dogs or parrots kill them anyway, so I'm not arsed.
Reply 10
I'm discriminatory when it comes to insects and arachnids. Flies, I'd rather let them out the window, but if push comes to shove I'll kill the *******s. Same with wasps, although that is a risky business what with the potential of luring other wasps to the scene. Ladybirds, bees, spiders, daddy long legs, and all other generally inoffensive creatures, I almost have an instinct of protection rather than an instinct to kill lol.
For me it depends on the type of insect/arachnid, like if its a house spider or something that cannot damage anything i would usually attempt to put it outside and spare it but if there is something that can damage/contaminate/hurt me or my belongings like a fly, moth, or mosquito i would swat it with a fly swatter.
Original post by nutz99
Karma would be if you got stung by a wasp or bitten by a spider or got salmonella from eating food infected by a fly. Or you could simply stay in la la land and pretend none of this ever happens.

I don't get it.

The core of my argument advocates the preservation bugs for the mechanical welfare of the ecosystem. The ethical element is just icing on the cake.

Actions have consequences, but unfortunately no single water molecule feels comfortable accepting responsibility for possible flooding.
Reply 13
I don't get it.

The core of my argument advocates the preservation bugs for the mechanical welfare of the ecosystem. The ethical element is just icing on the cake.

Actions have consequences, but unfortunately no single water molecule feels comfortable accepting responsibility for possible flooding.
So are you saying that we shouldn't kill insects because they are another insect's or bird's food? If you are on about the environment then there are lots of insects that contribute nothing and their only purpose is to feed something else.
Original post by nutz99
If you are on about the environment then there are lots of insects that contribute nothing and their only purpose is to feed something else.

I'm not sure we can communicate.
Reply 15
I'm not sure we can communicate.
Not if you can't comprehend that not every living thing actually makes a difference to the ecosystem.
Original post by nutz99
not every living thing actually makes a difference to the ecosystem.

Absolutely true. Isolated cases are simply whatever.
I think you should feel guilty, yes - there's no real reason you couldn't just catch it and take it outside instead, which is considerably less harmful, but barely more effort.
Reply 18
I used to kill spiders and actually felt guilty idk why so the past few years I catch them, and then put them outside to live their happy lives
Original post by nutz99

you would have to provoke them, and the fly only needs food to survive. give this a thought.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending