The Student Room Group

I feel guilty

So basically I need to know if i’ve done something wrong, so me and my boyfriend are really happy and we love eachother so much and i see my entire future being with him, the only issue that is really bugging me is that there is this guys that would come up to me and talk to while i was in college and it was nothing flirtatious he would just speak to me and my friends, he liked my pictures and followed me and now i feel **** for speaking to him cuz i realised what he was really after, like he wouldn’t be flirtatious with me but i could tell his attention was to me when my friends were around, but i feel like i’ve cheated because it’s wrong to speak to someone when they are clearly trying something with you, me and my bf were also in a bad place we were arguing all the time and i didn’t feel as happy but that is no excuse at all, I love my bf with everything i have and i don’y understand why i did it? i know i’ll get a lot of judgement but i just need someone to explain if i should tell my bf because i know he would break up with me if he knew i spoke to the guy that wants to be with me, but i also don’t want anyone else i want to be with my bf
Reply 1
you're fine it's not the end of the world you're overreacting
Reply 2
don't tell him though, you don't need to tell him everything if it will just inevitably cause issues. you literally just spoke to someone
Reply 3
Original post by cleobrown
So basically I need to know if i’ve done something wrong, so me and my boyfriend are really happy and we love eachother so much and i see my entire future being with him, the only issue that is really bugging me is that there is this guys that would come up to me and talk to while i was in college and it was nothing flirtatious he would just speak to me and my friends, he liked my pictures and followed me and now i feel **** for speaking to him cuz i realised what he was really after, like he wouldn’t be flirtatious with me but i could tell his attention was to me when my friends were around, but i feel like i’ve cheated because it’s wrong to speak to someone when they are clearly trying something with you, me and my bf were also in a bad place we were arguing all the time and i didn’t feel as happy but that is no excuse at all, I love my bf with everything i have and i don’y understand why i did it? i know i’ll get a lot of judgement but i just need someone to explain if i should tell my bf because i know he would break up with me if he knew i spoke to the guy that wants to be with me, but i also don’t want anyone else i want to be with my bf

I also want to clarify that i’m only 17 and i’m still learning, i understand it’s wrong what I did but i do feel the biggest guilt and is eating me uo to the point where i can’t even sleep is all i think about
Reply 4
Original post by spicyoo
you're fine it's not the end of the world you're overreacting

I get that it sounds like i’m overreacting but my point is that I spoke to him even when I knew it was wrong, it just feels like if I knew it was wrong i shouldn’t have done it and it’s cheating
Reply 5
so you spoke to him, and he liked your pics and followed you? Even if he was after something that doesn't sound like your fault. Surely your boyfriend doesn't stop you literally speaking to people. Tbh just sounds like friend behaviour, though I don't know what to extent you mean his attention was on you. From this I don't think this is something you should worry about. What exactly makes you feel guilty, how is this different from talking to anyone else that isn't your boyfriend?

I get that it sounds like i’m overreacting but my point is that I spoke to him even when I knew it was wrong, it just feels like if I knew it was wrong i shouldn’t have done it and it’s cheating
Reply 6

All you have done is be nice by speaking to the other guy. You have not cheated, you are allowed to speak to other guys you know. Its not like you kissed him, or had any sexy chat on line or anything like that.
What problem you really have is not you, its your b/f. If he breaks up with you for simply speaking to a guy then its not the right kind of relationship at all. Its a controlling one.

It sounds like you spoke to someone platonically, you realised they were interested in you and discontinued contact. There's nothing wrong about this. There's no flirting, no emotional affair and no cheating.

You shouldn't be afraid of telling your boyfriend about this if you know you've done nothing wrong, and if you believe that he'll break up with you just for speaking to another man, then you'll either be pleasantly surprised or realise that your boyfriend is not as great as he seems.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
so you spoke to him, and he liked your pics and followed you? Even if he was after something that doesn't sound like your fault. Surely your boyfriend doesn't stop you literally speaking to people. Tbh just sounds like friend behaviour, though I don't know what to extent you mean his attention was on you. From this I don't think this is something you should worry about. What exactly makes you feel guilty, how is this different from talking to anyone else that isn't your boyfriend?

The reason why I feel guilty is because I felt like I was entertaining it, I have an issue with attention, as soon as someone gives me attention let it be girl or guy I instantly fall for it, i never had any attention growing up so that causes me to talk to someone knowing my bf wouldnmt like it cuz my bf knows that guy has a thing for me and i still spoke to him knowing it’s disrespectful, i was never flirtatious with the guy i was soeaking to him as i would my friends but i was entertaining conversation
Reply 9
Original post by Ghostlady
All you have done is be nice by speaking to the other guy. You have not cheated, you are allowed to speak to other guys you know. Its not like you kissed him, or had any sexy chat on line or anything like that.
What problem you really have is not you, its your b/f. If he breaks up with you for simply speaking to a guy then its not the right kind of relationship at all. Its a controlling one.

Thank you for this, the reason why I feel guilty is because I know is disrespectful speaking to him knowing he likes me, it just feels wrong to me and i can’t stop thinking about jt
Reply 10
The reason why I feel guilty is because I felt like I was entertaining it, I have an issue with attention, as soon as someone gives me attention let it be girl or guy I instantly fall for it, i never had any attention growing up so that causes me to talk to someone knowing my bf wouldnmt like it cuz my bf knows that guy has a thing for me and i still spoke to him knowing it’s disrespectful, i was never flirtatious with the guy i was soeaking to him as i would my friends but i was entertaining conversation

Its not disrepectful. You was not flirtatious back, you was just being polite and friendly. There is nothing wrong with that. Please dont think that speaking to someone who is flirting with you is classed as cheating. It really really is not.
Reply 11
Original post by Ghostlady
Its not disrepectful. You was not flirtatious back, you was just being polite and friendly. There is nothing wrong with that. Please dont think that speaking to someone who is flirting with you is classed as cheating. It really really is not.

Thank you for this, honestly it’s been bugging me for MONTHS and I just wanna move forward and not feel like a horrible person
Reply 12
Thank you for this, the reason why I feel guilty is because I know is disrespectful speaking to him knowing he likes me, it just feels wrong to me and i can’t stop thinking about jt

Perhaps you saw this kind of behaviour in your earlier years? Is there a lack of trust with people close to you? Thinking that something as so simple as chatting to someone who likes you and you are being really platonic with them is wrong against your boyfriend is not right.

I was in a similar situation once and I liked the guy for years at school, and he only shown an interest in me when I had a boyfriend by flirting with me one night in the pub 3 years later. Whether I told my b/f or not, I knew that come what may he could trust me and never question me or grill me for something that never happened and he most certainly would not finish with me. If you have a boyfriend that can fly off the handle for something as simple as talking to another guy, then hes not the right kind of person for you. You need someone to love you AND trust you. Just becareful around your boyfriend. You do not deserved to be judged by someone who claims they love you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending