The Student Room Group

Jacob Rees-Mogg

I'm curious of everyone's opinions on Jacob Rees-Mogg. I recently attended a conference he spoke at and he was met with both cheers and boos. Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Great speaker, love his ideas on individualism. Don't agree with him on all of his personal beliefs, but he is strongly in favour of being allowed to have an opinion on everything. A true man of democracy, and would possibly be a good choice for PM.
Reply 2
He’s decent x
Love hearing him sometimes, but damn that guy is a filibuster. I like how he acknowledges that if he was in power, he would not allow his personal beliefs to dictate him either.
He is everything I despise about the Tories. He is: anti same sex marriage, pro academies, pro zero-hour contracts, anti EU, a Trump sympathiser, pro Brexit, anti abortion, anti contraceptives, pro hunt, Need I go on...

He's completely out of touch with the vast majority of people living in this country and would be a terrible PM.
Original post by NavaniKholin
He is everything I despise about the Tories. He is: anti same sex marriage, pro academies, pro zero-hour contracts, anti EU, a Trump sympathiser, pro Brexit, anti abortion, anti contraceptives, pro hunt, Need I go on...

He's completely out of touch with the vast majority of people living in this country and would be a terrible PM.

But he has claimed that he leaves his personal beliefs out of his politics. He makes his beliefs clear to his constituency and they still vote for him despite that.
Reply 6
Original post by memesneeded
But he has claimed that he leaves his personal beliefs out of his politics. .

Didn't stop him voting against any same-sex equality bills to come before him every time..
i would vote for J-Dogg

:borat:
I’d vote for him- don’t agree with everything he says but he’s certainly better than May or Boris
I think he would be an amazing prime minister, the way he acts and dresses is straight from the 19th century which I think is pretty cool.
Original post by PhilipC
I'm curious of everyone's opinions on Jacob Rees-Mogg. I recently attended a conference he spoke at and he was met with both cheers and boos. Discuss.

Sincere, humble and loyal.
Sexist, racist, homophobic, death penalty supporting cartoon villain.

His approach to political economy and religion is food banks are good as they allow him to demonstrate his Christianity by giving to the poor.

He's a monster.
He's the best! I'd love if we could find a way to sub him in for Theresa.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Sexist, racist, homophobic, death penalty supporting cartoon villain.

His approach to political economy and religion is food banks are good as they allow him to demonstrate his Christianity by giving to the poor.

He's a monster.

People like you are destroying democracy and religious freedom by putting the same usual labels on people with a different view who you want to bypass debate with.

Of course food banks are good, they are part of a solution not a problem.
Original post by Hatter_2
People like you are destroying democracy and religious freedom by putting the same usual labels on people with a different view who you want to bypass debate with.

Of course food banks are good, they are part of a solution not a problem.

People like Mog are committing social murder. Are we really expected to just polity take it? Poor Americans whos family are having cancer support taken from them say something bad about John McCain on Twitter and there is uproar. No, they are *****.

Tonny Benn was a Christian. A much better one that the Mog I may well add. The current Catholic position on the death penalty is against it. Doesn't stop Mog being a monster and supporting it.
(edited 6 years ago)
I really like him. It is nice knowing he can differentiate between his personal beliefs and the democratic preferences of the public. He is well-spoken and uses that to be logical—it isn’t a mere throw-about of complicated words and no substance. Most of the purely negative stuff I have heard about him has been swirled up by left wing journalists, taking his comments completely out of context.

I would agree with others, probably would be good as PM.
He divides opinion but that is often due to him making people question their own view on the issues. He is far removed from my idea of a normal and grounded human being and this can be to his detriment. At least you know what you are getting with him and that is usually small periods of clarity and wisdom in between megalomania, Victorian views in a modern world and a tabloids wet dream on the more regular.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
People like Mog are committing social murder. Are we really expected to just polity take it? Poor Americans whos family are having cancer support taken from them say something bad about John McCain on Twitter and there is uproar. No, they are *****.

Tonny Benn was a Christian. A much better one that the Mog I may well add. The current Catholic position on the death penalty is against it. Doesn't stop Mog being a monster and supporting it.

What exactly do you mean by "social murder"?

Also, I have read/watched a lot of things about His Moggness, and I have never found any indication that he supports capital punishment. Could you please direct me to an article or video where he does advocate for capital punishment?
Can't snog the Mogg.
He's a thoroughly unpleasant man with equally callous and out of date views. He hides behind a mask of politeness and an affected drawl (it really is ridiculous, his sister doesn't sound anything like that) to lull the public into thinking he's a decent chap.

After Boris, I don't think people are so easily fooled. One can't help but laugh at the young (and they often are very young) ultra-neoliberal ideologue Tories who think he has a chance of becoming PM, how naive can a person be! :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest