The Student Room Group

Shadowing & Hospital Attachments

Hey guys, I was just wondering, what questions should people ask when they're shadowing a doctor?

I'll be shadowing an ENT doctor on Monday and I really want to make the most out of my experience. :h:

Also, it'll be great if someone can give some tips and advice on shadowing a doctor too!

Thanks in advance and have an amazing December holiday!!! :heart: :hoppy:
Original post by Softyy
Hey guys, I was just wondering, what questions should people ask when they're shadowing a doctor?

I'll be shadowing an ENT doctor on Monday and I really want to make the most out of my experience. :h:

Also, it'll be great if someone can give some tips and advice on shadowing a doctor too!

Thanks in advance and have an amazing December holiday!!! :heart: :hoppy:

Hiya,

I totally understand, I still struggle with this!

I'd suggest being as attentive as possible. Turn up on time, be willing to interact with different members of their team and if you're offered the rare opportunity to see / do something, take it!

As for questions to ask them, some of the following may be useful:
What's your typical day like / do you ever have a 'typical day'?
Best/worst parts of the job?
Why did you decide to go into medicine? (something that I'm always curious about)
The most interesting case you've had?
What's their top tip for someone applying to medicine?

You could even ask them whether there's anything in particular that you can get involved with that day - I always say if you don't ask, you don't get!

I'm sure that you'll have a brill time on Monday, enjoy every minute of your work experience and good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending