The Student Room Group

How do I find supercurriculars for Radiography?

I'm applying for Diagnostic Radiography and I haven't started writing my PS because I don't know how to start. Moreover, I only did volunteering at my local hospital which basically just consisted on helping out at tea and meal times. I haven't done any wider reading or attended talks as I can't find any that relate to Radiography. I'm really struggling to find things to do and I'm already in yr13 so I won't have any time to do anything later so I need to start now. If anyone has any books or websites (or anything!) I would really appreciate it! :smile:
Reply 1
I'm applying for Diagnostic Radiography and I haven't started writing my PS because I don't know how to start. Moreover, I only did volunteering at my local hospital which basically just consisted on helping out at tea and meal times. I haven't done any wider reading or attended talks as I can't find any that relate to Radiography. I'm really struggling to find things to do and I'm already in yr13 so I won't have any time to do anything later so I need to start now. If anyone has any books or websites (or anything!) I would really appreciate it!
I think the main thing is to really try and look at what is involved in being a radiographer (as opposed to e.g. a nurse or a doctor or another healthcare profession that interacts with the same kinds of patients) and if possible maybe see if you can arrange some shadowing or something with a radiographer? I think the key is to communicate your understanding and awareness of the profession as it currently stands, the realities of it (including where it's not always so rosy) and potential opportunities and challenges the profession faces looking to the future - and your personal reflections on those issues.
Original post by Sanji.m
I'm applying for Diagnostic Radiography and I haven't started writing my PS because I don't know how to start. Moreover, I only did volunteering at my local hospital which basically just consisted on helping out at tea and meal times. I haven't done any wider reading or attended talks as I can't find any that relate to Radiography. I'm really struggling to find things to do and I'm already in yr13 so I won't have any time to do anything later so I need to start now. If anyone has any books or websites (or anything!) I would really appreciate it!

Don't underrrate your volunteering experience - what you've been doing is ideal for an AHP application. In your personal statement try and tie in your experience with the NHS values and six Cs (see links below). As mentioned in the above post, try and use your hospital contacts to arrange a day of shadowing experience in the radiography department. This will really help you understand the role and a lot of unis require it. If you can't arrange shadowing, then watch some 'A day in the life of a DR' videos on YouTube - many hospital trusts post them.

https://www.nhsprofessionals.nhs.uk/en/nhs-staffing-pool-hub/working-in-healthcare/what-are-the-nhs-values

https://www.nhsprofessionals.nhs.uk/nhs-staffing-pool-hub/working-in-healthcare/the-6-cs-of-care

Also, if you want to chat to other DR applicants, join in on the following thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7393574
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest