The Student Room Group

East Asian Language Applicants 2018

こんにちは! 您好! 안녕하세요!

I thought I'd start a thread specifically for East Asian language applicants for 2018 entry since most people have sent off their applications by now. Hopefully this will be a good place to meet people who are doing similar courses and applying to the same unis!

Please introduce yourself either using the template or however else you would like:

Name:
Why this course:
A-Level Subjects:
GCSE Subjects:
Unis applied to:
Other:

Spoiler

Good luck with your applications!

(Also, thanks to Rex Onocrotalus for the inspo, I low-key copied your whole template, sorry haha)
Reply 1
Hi!! Thought I’d reply here with the chance that I meet others applying for similar courses :,)

Name: Lily
Language(s): Japanese
Why this course: I love the Japanese language and the diverse culture
A-Level Subjects: Biology, Chemistry and Maths
GCSE Subjects: too many to list lol
Unis applied to: Edinburgh, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester, Oxford Brookes
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Name: Priyanka
Language: Chinese
Why? I love learning mandarin and learning about the culture
A level subjects: Psychology, Chemistry, Biology
GCSE: too many >.< (2A*, 6A, 3B)
Unis: SOAS, Durham, Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds
Reply 3
Name: Samantha
Language(s): Japanese, possibly with something else if I get the option
Why this course: I’ve been self-studying the language for about two years and want the structure of a course, along with the opportunities for speaking practice and meeting people with a similar interest in the language and culture
A-Level Subjects: Psychology, History and Sociology
GCSE Subjects: The core ones along with History, Law, French and Psychology
Unis applied to: Cardiff, Manchester (declined lmao), Oxford Brookes, Sheffield and Warwick. Seems like every Japanese student has Sheffield on their list, my first choice is Cardiff though.

Original post by narilily
Other: Would love to make a chat for 2018 East Asian applicants on Facebook or something if anyone’s interested??

I would be!
Reply 4
Name: Bethanie
Language(s): Japanese and Linguistics! (plans to add either Chinese, Korean, or German as an optional/extra )
Why this course: I love the language and have been self studying for a bit, linguistics is also soooo interesting to me.
A-Level Subjects: Sociology, English Language, Graphics and General studies
GCSE Subjects: too many and too long ago haha
Unis applied to: MMU(2 courses), Sheffield and Soas(2 courses)
Other: I'm 23 so applying as a mature student... my grades at A level were pretty abysmal so I'm not expecting any offers, decided to apply anyway though because I like suffering I guess? Honestly SOAS is my dream uni so even if I get a place somewhere else I'll probably still just do an access course and hopefully get an offer for SOAS next year!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Name: Lucy
Why this course: Always loved the subject and it’s a huge part of my life!
A-Level Subjects: Maths, Chemistry and Biology
GCSE Subjects: 2A’s 6B’s 1C
Unis applied to: Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield, York St John’s and Edinburgh
Reply 6
I am seriously wondering if theres any international students studying their native language at a UK university again...
Two years ago there were a IELTS scholarship was awarded to a Chinese girl from mainland China who studied Chinese in UoEdinburgh,
this seriously pissed me the **** off LOL
Name: Caitlin
Why this course: Fell in love with the Japanese culture and language a few years ago and decided to take it up as part of a combined honours
A-Level Subjects: History, Sociology and English Language
GCSE Subjects: (11) Too many to write out :biggrin:
Unis applied to: Newcastle and Sheffield. I've applied for combined honours at both of these but also applied for a single honours at both just in case
If anyone has any questions about Chinese studies or the Japanese part of "X with Japanese" courses at Sheffield, let me know! I did Chinese with Japanese at Sheffield! Any questions about the uni as a whole too! Currently studying for postgrad at Sheffield too
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Name: Alice
Language(s): Chinese
Why this course: interests in languages, cultures, history, theology etc. and just love the language
A-Level Subjects: maths, further maths, physics, history
GCSE Subjects: sciences, English (lit+lang), maths, further maths, RS, Latin, German, French, history, music
Unis applied to: Durham, Sheffield, Leeds
Original post by Caaitlin_Rose
Name: Caitlin
Why this course: Fell in love with the Japanese culture and language a few years ago and decided to take it up as part of a combined honours
A-Level Subjects: History, Sociology and English Language
GCSE Subjects: (11) Too many to write out :biggrin:
Unis applied to: Newcastle and Sheffield. I've applied for combined honours at both of these but also applied for a single honours at both just in case

Hi!! There’s an east Asian group chat on Facebook! If you’d like to join just send me a message with your Facebook name and I’ll add you!!
Original post by amf12
Name: Alice
Language(s): Chinese
Why this course: interests in languages, cultures, history, theology etc. and just love the language
A-Level Subjects: maths, further maths, physics, history
GCSE Subjects: sciences, English (lit+lang), maths, further maths, RS, Latin, German, French, history, music
Unis applied to: Durham, Sheffield, Leeds

Hi! There’s a big East Asian studies group chat if you’re interested! Just message me with your Facebook name and I can add you :-))

Latest

Trending

Trending