The Student Room Group

Current Year 11s - what alevels are you planning on doing?

Scroll to see replies

i'm planning to do english lit, psychology and sociology :smile:
Original post by joeleni
You can still do AS (or at least the sixth form I'm going to say I can lol) but if you choose to do the full a level then you don't have to sit the AS exam, only the A2 exam plus an internal exam at the end of y12. Or at least to my knowledge that's what it is

my goodness, that sounds confusing. at my sixth form there's no as now so you do 3 [or 4 if you can handle 4 a2] subjects and your grades are determined by exams taken at the end of the two years.
I'll either do maths, f.m, physics and economics or maths, f.m, biology and mandarin pre-u depending on which sixth forms I get into (at both I'll drop one after a year)
Original post by entertainmyfaith
my goodness, that sounds confusing. at my sixth form there's no as now so you do 3 [or 4 if you can handle 4 a2] subjects and your grades are determined by exams taken at the end of the two years.

it is a bit. At mine you have to decide whether you are doing the AS or A2 before you start y12, so basically it means you can't do the typical 4 subjects in y12 then drop to 3 in y13 and come out with 3 a levels and 1 as, unless you decide beforehand what you are going to 'drop'
Original post by k0by
What about Psychology? It’s kind of Sciency and it’s essay based so it’d be a good mix

Yeah, that’s also on my list right now. I’ve been thinking about some choices and this is what I’ve come up with.

Biology
Chemistry
Psychology

Biology
Chemistry
History

Biology
Chemistry
Physics

Most likely not going to pick the last one as physics is quite difficult without maths, and it involves maths which is my weakest subject.
Original post by k0by
I’m planning on doing Sociology, Psychology and Business lol wby

(Philosphy, Relgion and Ethics) + Politics + Maths
and an EPQ
(:
I've applied for English Literature, History, Biology (and English Language, but only at one sixth form) but I'm so indecisive I won't be surprised if it changes:redface:
Reply 127
English literature,English language and sociology
I've chosen Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Politics, and an EPQ

I think I've gone mad giving myself so much work to do!
Me too! (Sort of) I'm half Spanish so I did my Spanish IGCSE in y9 and take 10 subjects and FMSQ additional maths
Original post by HXA97
Yeah, that’s also on my list right now. I’ve been thinking about some choices and this is what I’ve come up with.

Biology
Chemistry
Psychology

Biology
Chemistry
History

Biology
Chemistry
Physics

Most likely not going to pick the last one as physics is quite difficult without maths, and it involves maths which is my weakest subject.

also really want to do bio, chem, and history but I'm struggling to choose between maths and history.
Government & Politics, Spanish, Sociology, English Literature hopefully:crossedf::crossedf::crossedf::h:
(edited 6 years ago)
I plan on doing Maths, Further Maths and Sound Engineering :giggle::grin: I can't wait!
Reply 133
Chemistry and Physics
Original post by tay_lee
also really want to do bio, chem, and history but I'm struggling to choose between maths and history.

It depends which one you enjoy more. I'm really bad at maths so I'm definitely not going to take it at A level
french, politics and philosophy (and an EPQ) :')
Original post by ashestostardust
What you're failing to understand is that thriving at a language A-level is vastly different to thriving a science or maths one. They require different skills, different knowledge etc. The mark schemes are polar opposite in the way they approach assessment. That's common sense. You don't even have to do much to figure that one out.

My advice to you is to stop being so complacent. I'm assuming you're sitting most of your GCSEs next year, right? Not doing much is going to land you with disappointing grades and it is certainly not something to brag about. Open your goddamn eyes.

Although the skills are quite different, links have been found between mathematics and languages. Personally, I have always enjoyed and been good at both languages and scientific subjects. However, I am not you nor anybody else. However, i’m Simply trying to convey how in fact they aren’t quite polar opposites.
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Further maths (might drop for year 2)
Reply 138
Original post by k0by
I’m planning on doing Sociology, Psychology and Business lol wby

I wish I could do A-Levels then I would choose History, Psychology, Biology and Chemistry but instead I'm doing the IB so I had to sacrafice Chemistry and do:

Standard Level English
Standard Level Maths
Higher Level Biology
Higher Level History
Higher Level Psychology
Beginner Spanish
:frown:
Reply 139
Original post by TiyaDM
I wish I could do A-Levels then I would choose History, Psychology, Biology and Chemistry but instead I'm doing the IB so I had to sacrafice Chemistry and do:

Standard Level English
Standard Level Maths
Higher Level Biology
Higher Level History
Higher Level Psychology
Beginner Spanish
:frown:

Why can’t you do them? And what’s an IB? (Also I’ve changed business to economics)

Quick Reply

Latest