The Student Room Group

Phd application and funding etc

Is anyone else findIng the whole phd application and fundIng process confusing and a potential minefield. I’ve just had a rude email back from a university (after I asked for clarification) that made me feel 5 years old!! Some want you to liaise with potential supervisors, some don’t and how do you get supervisors to become involved? Not happy😐. Also do you call academics Professor so and so, Dr so and so or by their first name. Again, not clear. No wonder there are problems with lack of diversity in student applications!!!
Hey - sorry you haven't had any responses so far. I'm just going to pop this in the postgrad applications forum for you. Hopefully someone will see this there and be able to help
Original post by jimjams3
Is anyone else findIng the whole phd application and fundIng process confusing and a potential minefield. I’ve just had a rude email back from a university (after I asked for clarification) that made me feel 5 years old!! Some want you to liaise with potential supervisors, some don’t and how do you get supervisors to become involved? Not happy😐. Also do you call academics Professor so and so, Dr so and so or by their first name. Again, not clear. No wonder there are problems with lack of diversity in student applications!!!

Erm I think there is plenty of diversity in student applications as PhD students come to the UK from all over the world. Yes it is a minefield but so is life and working on how to navigate it is the first step. If this is difficult then the world of academia or even PhD life will be a massive struggle. Go through each uni's process with a fine toothed comb and follow instructions. Only ask for clarification if you are sure you have tried everything to work out the answer for yourself. It's always a good idea to engage with academic first but no you can't force them to respond and yes most people will ignore you as they are busy and receive hundreds of emails daily. In the UK calling people by their first names is the norm.

You get potential supervisors to get involved by outlining an interesting research topic and/or writing an interesting and strong proposal that coincides with their areas of research interest. They are under no obligation to you and do not have to respond if they think your ideas are untenable, your proposal poor, or not in their area of expertise, although in my experience, most will respond will helpful suggestions even if all the above apply.

It would be polite to address potential supervisors by their academic titles until they themselves sign off with a different title.

Hope this helps.
Your post sounds so familiar, and you aren't alone in your feelings. I would say to just persevere and eventually you'll get somewhere... I always call people Dr. So-and-so until they send an email back with a signature. Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by chaotic1328
You get potential supervisors to get involved by outlining an interesting research topic and/or writing an interesting and strong proposal that coincides with their areas of research interest. They are under no obligation to you and do not have to respond if they think your ideas are untenable, your proposal poor, or not in their area of expertise, although in my experience, most will respond will helpful suggestions even if all the above apply.

It would be polite to address potential supervisors by their academic titles until they themselves sign off with a different title.

Hope this helps.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier but thanks for this, it helped!

I can sympathize with you- I was in the same situation some couple of years ago! It is a minefield- basically too much to do and too little to do at the same time.

If you desperately require funding for your research, start your search looking for PhDs which give funding of some sort. Full, partial, dual, etc. Then note these down.

Study the research area and research questions as advertised very well and see if you can develop your own contribution to knowledge. From this write your aim, objectives, methodology and then develop your own proposal.

They will be an academic whose name will be next to the advertised funding. Do some research on the academic and make sure the proposal is based around his research area/ ongoing research/ research interests.

Submit the research proposal + other details the funding requires. In the email to the supervisor, you will need to include comments that are personal to his research interests. Highlight skills such as project management, time management and article writing skill. For mine, I went further to develop a detailed project methodology of the entire PhD (3 year) period.

And please, use first names only!

The problem I encountered in my initial applications was that I assumed the PhD to be the same as submitting an application for employment- something generic. They are different. A PhD application which also looks for funding is very personal and specific.

All the best,

Cranfield TSR Rep.
Reply 7

Hi there,

I was also very confused about how to address academics until I started. Basically, it's kind of a ranking system - anyone with a Prof. title seems to be quite high up - above Dr. Most Profs. will have a PhD, but won't be referred to as Dr. It is incredibly confusing!

In my department, most academics are simply Dr. There are two Prof. and they have been teaching there for a couple of decades, have incredible portfolios of publication (books as well as journals) and seem to be very high up as it were.

Hope this helps and doesn't just add to your confusion!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending