The Student Room Group

Is English literature too hard for an international student?

Hi. I'm very new to this site and I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I'm a South Korean student who wants to study English literature at a UK university. Right now a foundation programme for a year seems like the only way to get into a UK university for me, but I've found out that universities usually don't offer their Eng. lit place for people with foundation certificates. (I'm not sure if that's true so if anyone knows about this, please let me know!)
That led me thinking, "Do I have to study English literature?"
I want to study English literature because I have interest in publishing English books into S. Korea. And because I don't have a particular interest in any other subject/degrees. But that can change if English literature is too hard.

So..
Is English literature too hard? Even for the native English speakers? English is not my 1st language so I can do everyday light level of English, and when I read I always have a Kor-Eng translator with me. And I can't read fast in English, nor write well in English.

(In Korea, it's hard too get INto unniversites, but once you get accepted into the uni, most can graduate. But I've heard that UK universities are hard to graduate, and before that, you can't get to the next year if you don't do well. I'm afraid I will get flunked.)

I would appreciate any answers so much!
I don’t know much about English lit but lots of UK unis require you to do an English test if it’s not your first language because lectures and other classes are in English which you must be able to understand. You might want to look into this test (details are usually on uni websites) and see if you would be able to pass it before you apply. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending